FiiO M23, AK4191EQ+AK4499EX, THX AAA-78+, Dual Type-C Ports, Dual-Core Fast Charging, 1000mW+1000mW @32Ω
Apr 12, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #151 of 202
In a video on the Shanling M3 Ultra, Super Reviews on You Tube has a good segment where he says he doesn’t hear differences between DAPs at all......well that reviewer is going Tone deaf then, because i have had a Fiio M11,Ibasso DX150/240/ColorFly U6/Shanling M3X/Sony WMA1A/Sony NZ-ZX707/ Calyx M/Pioneer XDP100R/Astell Kern AK100II/Astell Kern SA700/Cowon S/R2/Cayin N6II...and i do not have the most musical ears and i can 100% tell em all apart some of em i can name right away some not but they dont all sound same to me...lol
Yeah I always used to hear people say source doesn't matter at all until you get kilobuck iems.

But there are plenty of sub $300 dollar iems nowadays that outright kill kilobuck iems from the past (Kaiser 10, KSE1200, UERR) so the standard is much higher and I do believe at least a good quality type c dac (I reccomend the Hidizs S9 Pro) is reccomended as a good starting point if you plan on furthering your audio journey.

But the thing with reviewers is that they listen to many many sources and iems, often not directly doing an A/B with the same pair of iems. So the differences won't immediately jump out at them because they aren't familiar with a single iem/dap.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #152 of 202
In a video on the Shanling M3 Ultra, Super Reviews on You Tube has a good segment where he says he doesn’t hear differences between DAPs at all......well that reviewer is going Tone deaf then, because i have had a Fiio M11,Ibasso DX150/240/ColorFly U6/Shanling M3X/Sony WMA1A/Sony NZ-ZX707/ Calyx M/Pioneer XDP100R/Astell Kern AK100II/Astell Kern SA700/Cowon S/R2/Cayin N6II...and i do not have the most musical ears and i can 100% tell em all apart some of em i can name right away some not but they dont all sound same to me...lol

Is that blind tested accurately volume matched.

I am not going to get into a conversation about this. I ventured an opinion on a very specific case and threw that Super Review comment as another opinion from someone who listens to lots of gear supplied for review. He would stand to gain more by saying he heard differences.

I have messed with numerous DAPs, DACs and amps and almost universally there is no immediate difference that jumps out at me if volumes are closely matched. Getting the volume match off even a little makes a big difference.

That is my experience, yours is different just as I suggested would be the case in my first comment.

That’s fine of course, if everyone thought like me there wouldn’t be the plethora of audio options that we have available because everyone would think they sound the same 😂

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #153 of 202
Is that blind tested accurately volume matched.

I am not going to get into a conversation about this. I ventured an opinion on a very specific case and threw that Super Review comment as another opinion from someone who listens to lots of gear supplied for review. He would stand to gain more by saying he heard differences.

I have messed with numerous DAPs, DACs and amps and almost universally there is no immediate difference that jumps out at me if volumes are closely matched. Getting the volume match off even a little makes a big difference.

That is my experience, yours is different just as I suggested would be the case in my first comment.

That’s fine of course, if everyone thought like me there wouldn’t be the plethora of audio options that we have available because everyone would think they sound the same 😂
I've tried it before and yes there are quite significant differences, bearing in mind my iems are detail and crispness oriented which accentuates even tiny differences. Your mileage may vary with a warmer, smoother, less revealing pair.

Oh and @leo5111 I forgot to mention, while volume matched is all well and good, I do know that many reviewers review at very soft volumes (60-65dB). I listen quite loudly (85-88dB) and with several demanding test tracks that I'm very familiar with when comparing iems/daps and that of course makes small differences more obvious. I know a few daps that I will not be able to differentiate in most songs at 75dB, much less 60-65.

Apr 12, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #154 of 202
i listen pretty loud, so i basicly turn them up to volume for the music that i like to listen at, some seem to get to that volume pretty easy some realy have to crank the volume

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 5:53 AM Post #155 of 202

M23 Custom Leather Case SK-M23 Is Officially Released!​

The FIIO M23 has been hot-selling recently. Based on voices we heard during the Spring Launch Event of customers demanding an individual leather protective case, we have decided to make an exclusive genuine leather protective case for the M23- the SK-M23, available for purchase to meet your needs.
9028334.jpg

The specially selected premium genuine leather material has been meticulously handled to give the sensation of luxurious high quality to the SK-M23. The case’s soft yet delicate feel perfectly complements the M23’s bold and robust design.

9028337.jpg

At the rear of the case is a classic metal grille design, which not only serves to better dissipate heat but also serves as a stylish addition to the case. At the top of the case is Velcro, which makes it not only convenient to open and close the case, but also makes it quick and convenient to both put in the M23 with a secure fit without fear of it falling out as well as taking it back out.

9028336.jpg

The SK-M23 is available on our AliExpress Official Store. Click the link below to take it home right away:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256806651890369.html

Best regards,
Guangzhou FIIO Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 13, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #156 of 202
When there will be normal review of it , because even if it sell good as fiio says not for everyone easy to spend such amount buying blindly. So hope fiio will share with trustworthy reviewers this dap soon.

Apr 13, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #157 of 202

M23 Custom Leather Case SK-M23 Is Officially Released!​

The FIIO M23 has been hot-selling recently. Based on voices we heard during the Spring Launch Event of customers demanding an individual leather protective case, we have decided to make an exclusive genuine leather protective case for the M23- the SK-M23, available for purchase to meet your needs.
9028334.jpg

The specially selected premium genuine leather material has been meticulously handled to give the sensation of luxurious high quality to the SK-M23. The case’s soft yet delicate feel perfectly complements the M23’s bold and robust design.

9028337.jpg

At the rear of the case is a classic metal grille design, which not only serves to better dissipate heat but also serves as a stylish addition to the case. At the top of the case is Velcro, which makes it not only convenient to open and close the case, but also makes it quick and convenient to both put in the M23 with a secure fit without fear of it falling out as well as taking it back out.

9028336.jpg

The SK-M23 is available on our AliExpress Official Store. Click the link below to take it home right away:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256806651890369.html

Best regards,
Guangzhou FIIO Electronics Technology Co., Ltd.

Do the M11 Plus cases fit as well? I already have two of them.

Apr 13, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #158 of 202

Your question prompted me to have a closer look at the layout of the buttons and ports on the M23 versus the M11 Plus.

Upon doing that I noticed something that I hadn’t even picked up on before which is likely to be a significant consideration for many, I know it is for me.

The headphone jacks are on the top rather than the bottom like on the M11 Plus.

I am glad I figured that, other than the desktop mode, the M23 would be very similar to the M11 Plus and bought an M11 Plus ESS as ‘backup’ to my three year old LTD for when its battery starts to degrade significantly.

IMG_0384.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 2:23 AM Post #159 of 202
You can be a reviewer with so many daps you tried. And i believe your ears are better than these so called reviewers who doesn't hear differences. What dap you use from all you mentioned here.?

Apr 15, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #160 of 202
Dear friend,

Hi, I just tried. The M11Plus case could fit the M23. But we could not use the headphone ports when the M23 is wearing the M11Plus case.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 15, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #162 of 202
Your question prompted me to have a closer look at the layout of the buttons and ports on the M23 versus the M11 Plus.

Upon doing that I noticed something that I hadn’t even picked up on before which is likely to be a significant consideration for many, I know it is for me.

The headphone jacks are on the top rather than the bottom like on the M11 Plus.

I am glad I figured that, other than the desktop mode, the M23 would be very similar to the M11 Plus and bought an M11 Plus ESS as ‘backup’ to my three year old LTD for when its battery starts to degrade significantly.

IMG_0384.jpeg
This is one thing I hate on Hiby DAPs with the bottom facing jacks.
I wish all manufacturers would use the standard headphone jacks on top and USB at the bottom.

Apr 15, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #163 of 202
This is one thing I hate on Hiby DAPs with the bottom facing jacks.
I wish all manufacturers would use the standard headphone jacks on top and USB at the bottom.

It is a use case thing.

I use an M11 Plus around the house and it sits on a surface near me with the bottom and therefore the headphone jacks facing me. The cable therefore runs straight towards me with no bend.

Out walking I use a Shanling M3 Ultra with the jacks on the top which I prefer for the same reason. The DAP is in a pocket oriented such that I can access the side mounted play control buttons and the jacks pointing up so minimising hard bend in the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back