FiiO M23, AK4191EQ+AK4499EX, THX AAA-78+, Dual Type-C Ports, Dual-Core Fast Charging, 1000mW+1000mW @32Ω
Apr 8, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #137 of 202
Если это ваше первое знакомство более высокого уровня, то вы определенно должны достичь нирваны. Поищу ваши комментарии по этому поводу.:подмигивание:
Не пытайтесь найти комментарии; их просто нет. Но что касается высшего эшелона, то до этого был hiby RS6. Но его уже нет и придется сравнивать по памяти.

Apr 11, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #138 of 202
Considering swapping my M11+ ESS for this new guy. I've never owned a DAC with AKM chip.

Does anyone know what the output power is (balanced out) when not in desktop mode? All the specs I can find only apply to desktop mode 1.0W @ 32 Ohm.

Apr 11, 2024 at 3:59 AM Post #140 of 202
Considering swapping my M11+ ESS for this new guy. I've never owned a DAC with AKM chip.

Does anyone know what the output power is (balanced out) when not in desktop mode? All the specs I can find only apply to desktop mode 1.0W @ 32 Ohm.
475mw @ 32

Apr 11, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #141 of 202
Can anyone please emphasise on why the THX amps are not so well received compared to others? What's their big downside and is it really that bad?
I'm in the market for a new DAP in the price range of 500-1000$ which has good output power with reserves and momentarily I consider the M15S and the new M23... any others I should consider?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #142 of 202
Can anyone please emphasise on why the THX amps are not so well received compared to others? What's their big downside and is it really that bad?
I'm in the market for a new DAP in the price range of 500-1000$ which has good output power with reserves and momentarily I consider the M15S and the new M23... any others I should consider?
The perception (and marketing) of THX amps are that they are very linear ie clean sounding. Thus some people think they will always sound "lifeless" when it's dependent on so many other factors and in fact may pair well with warmer/darker/less detailed gear.

Apr 12, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #143 of 202
in my opinion, because first THX implementations was not very good and with these amps sound was more lifeless and not engaging or had no musicality with more analytical character. So compared to price and other technologies it was not very good but later thx and especially fiio implemented thx better with their daps and separate gear - and lately they become much better. For example i didn't liked first fiio m11 dap at all, it lacked bass and was overall too bright analytical character. It was listenable only with overall warm and super bassy iems - that compensated this amps shortcomings. Later they really fixed it and with m11 plus it sounded much more enjoyable still having good technicalities. Overal thx amps gives strong technicalities, but some says they have less layering and soundstage so a little flatter compared, but this is a little subjective. Latest thx implementations really good from fiio starting smallest fiio k17 dongle ending their high end amps or daps . So M23 should be good sounding with AKM flavor

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #144 of 202
in my opinion, because first THX implementations was not very good and with these amps sound was more lifeless and not engaging or had no musicality with more analytical character. So compared to price and other technologies it was not very good but later thx and especially fiio implemented thx better with their daps and separate gear - and lately they become much better. For example i didn't liked first fiio m11 dap at all, it lacked bass and was overall too bright analytical character. It was listenable only with overall warm and super bassy iems - that compensated this amps shortcomings. Later they really fixed it and with m11 plus it sounded much more enjoyable still having good technicalities. Overal thx amps gives strong technicalities, but some says they have less layering and soundstage so a little flatter compared, but this is a little subjective. Latest thx implementations really good from fiio starting smallest fiio k17 dongle ending their high end amps or daps . So M23 should be good sounding with AKM flavor
M11 Pro was the turning point for FiiO for me. It was so surprisingly good for the price at the time.

Apr 12, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #145 of 202
M11 Pro was the turning point for FiiO for me. It was so surprisingly good for the price at the time.
Agree m11 pro was first device they found good thx sound receipt and later it was better and better. But even today some reviewers thinks thx is not comparable to class A or similar amps. But i like current thx anyway, i haven't heard it in small devices as KA17 or BTR7, but believe it is good also.

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #146 of 202
Agree m11 pro was first device they found good thx sound receipt and later it was better and better. But even today some reviewers thinks thx is not comparable to class A or similar amps. But i like current thx anyway, i haven't heard it in small devices as KA17 or BTR7, but believe it is good also.

there are not really a full class a in portable DAPs。 it is something like a game on paper. a real class a is need a huge power and very hot which is not suitable for small portable amp/daps

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 12, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #147 of 202
475mw @ 32
Cheers, thanks. I think I'll stick with my M11+ then. Desktop mode would be cool, but since it's mainly a portable device for me, the higher output on-the-go of the M11+ is more valuable to me.

And as far as the THX amp discussion, I do think it makes a difference. Or at least, it sounds good to me, and the main reason I skipped the M15. But maybe I am too gullible to marketing 🤷

Apr 12, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #148 of 202
there are not really a full class a in portable DAPs。 it is something like a game on paper. a real class a is need a huge power and very hot which is not suitable for small portable amp/daps
Agree about that, i was more about desktop type devices here, only was not very accurate in my comment.
Anyway in my experience thx in some cases not worse or even better for my taste than full class a. And you have very good implementation of it. And i don't know fully why this technology became number 1 for fiio devices, but for me it is good sounding tech when made right.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #149 of 202

If you want to swap you might not notice any genuine difference in sound. I would only swap for features not expecting a sonic upgrade.

I have an M11 Plus LTD that I have owned for a few years and recently bought an ESS because while the battery in the LTD is doing fine it won’t last forever.

I really like the Plus and didn’t see any value in getting an M23 so grabbed an ESS at a good price.

I don’t hear any difference in sound at all between the AKM and ESS DACs used. Possibly there might be tiny subtle nuances if someone pointed out what to listen for on a certain part of a certain track but just swapping back and forth between the two doesn’t reveal any even remotely obvious difference to me.

I would bet if you listened blind you wouldn’t know which one you were listening to.

If course someone is going to say ESS glare etc but I don’t think that is even a thing.

In a video on the Shanling M3 Ultra, Super Reviews on You Tube has a good segment where he says he doesn’t hear differences between DAPs at all.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #150 of 202
In a video on the Shanling M3 Ultra, Super Reviews on You Tube has a good segment where he says he doesn’t hear differences between DAPs at all......well that reviewer is going Tone deaf then, because i have had a Fiio M11,Ibasso DX150/240/ColorFly U6/Shanling M3X/Sony WMA1A/Sony NZ-ZX707/ Calyx M/Pioneer XDP100R/Astell Kern AK100II/Astell Kern SA700/Cowon S/R2/Cayin N6II...and i do not have the most musical ears and i can 100% tell em all apart some of em i can name right away some not but they dont all sound same to me...lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back