[FiiO KA5]FiiO Portable DAC and Headphone Amplifier, Multifunctional local OS | OLED display | Dual CS43198 DACs | PCM 768kHz/32bit | DSD256 | 3.5+4.4 dual outputs | App connectivity
Apr 21, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #227 of 536
Jade Audio is their budget sister brand- you wouldn't know it from the stellar build quality and sound. Nice write up.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #228 of 536
Better implementation and processing, MQA support can be implemented, better drivers. in the world of audio XMOS controller, this is considered the most top-end solution, today there are already 3 generations of this controller. this is something like a powerful processor for a PC. He's a rarity for dongles...
OK I got it now. The ifi go bar has xmos. If it is related with manipulating clock speed and timing yes is very important.

Apr 21, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #229 of 536
Yes I think I said cmos chip but I meant Xmos. It's a very powerful chip, also the newer BT chips are quite powerful as seen in Qudelix-5K's parametric EQ.

Since battery isn't happening they'll probably use the same USB bridge, not Xmos on ka7. Speculation of course 😉

Apr 21, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #230 of 536
OK I got it now. The ifi go bar has xmos. If it is related with manipulating clock speed and timing yes is very important.
iFi Go Bar is very interesting due to its top components, but no more... I want to see an analog from FiiO engineers!!!

Since battery isn't happening they'll probably use the same USB bridge, not Xmos on ka7. Speculation of course 😉
Unfortunately, yes, it's not worth hoping that the KA7 will have XMOS. we will see a mass market controller there, this is CT7601. it's certainly not terrible, but it's not top.

Apr 21, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #231 of 536
iFi Go Bar is very interesting due to its top components, but no more... I want to see an analog from FiiO engineers!!!

Unfortunately, yes, it's not worth hoping that the KA7 will have XMOS. we will see a mass market controller there, this is CT7601. it's certainly not terrible, but it's not top.

Plus the price in the go bar, ouch!

Apr 21, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #232 of 536
Plus the price in the go bar, ouch!
Yes the price is a bit much this is why I did not keep it after my review and I think was the only main negative point there.

At that time I did not even have the 660s to give that money for the dongle and not buying the headphone that had in target for so much long did not make much sence to me. If I had a lot of expensive headphones then yes it make sense to invest more also to a dongle.

Apr 21, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #233 of 536
RU6 successfully went to the new owner. this is a unique dongle, it was interesting to get acquainted, but this is not the device that you want to listen to always and with all styles of music.
KA5 really sounds more interesting, and I like the default filter (Fast-LL) more than NOS. NOS is interesting for certain genres where you want to delve into the analysis, and when you want to relax, Fast-LL invigorates. :dt880smile:

Apr 21, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #234 of 536
Yes the price is a bit much this is why I did not keep it after my review and I think was the only main negative point there.

At that time I did not even have the 660s to give that money for the dongle and not buying the headphone that had in target for so much long did not make much sence to me. If I had a lot of expensive headphones then yes it make sense to invest more also to a dongle.

Definitely better investment imo. Headphones and iems really affect the sound more than anything else.

Apr 21, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #235 of 536
RU6 successfully went to the new owner. this is a unique dongle, it was interesting to get acquainted, but this is not the device that you want to listen to always and with all styles of music.
KA5 really sounds more interesting, and I like the default filter (Fast-LL) more than NOS. NOS is interesting for certain genres where you want to delve into the analysis, and when you want to relax, Fast-LL invigorates. :dt880smile:

That's the filter I've been using too. Yep RU6 can be a bit too much sometimes. Ka5 is very versatile with pairing partners.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #236 of 536
I was the same, using NOS for a while to get acquainted with it but the Fast-LL ended up sounding the best to my ears.

Apr 22, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #237 of 536
So I purchased the KA5 and hooked up my Meze 109 Pro. Paired to my iPhone 14 Pro Max running Tidal.

Well, after a few hours of listening I wasn't impressed with the sound. It was alright but nothing special.

So I purchased the BTR7 and hooked that up. Same headphones and scenario as above. BTR7 is cable connected not bluetooth connected.

All i can say is the BTR7 wins hands down on sound quality, fidelity and obviously features. The KA5 isn't anywhere near to the BTR7 IMHO.

And considering I got an open box BTR7 from Amazon, it only cost £45 more than the KA5.

So I will be sending the KA5 back and keeping the BTR7.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #238 of 536
So I purchased the KA5 and hooked up my Meze 109 Pro. Paired to my iPhone 14 Pro Max running Tidal.

Well, after a few hours of listening I wasn't impressed with the sound. It was alright but nothing special.

So I purchased the BTR7 and hooked that up. Same headphones and scenario as above. BTR7 is cable connected not bluetooth connected.

All i can say is the BTR7 wins hands down on sound quality, fidelity and obviously features. The KA5 isn't anywhere near to the BTR7 IMHO.

And considering I got an open box BTR7 from Amazon, it only cost £45 more than the KA5.

So I will be sending the KA5 back and keeping the BTR7.
Were you listening via 3.5mm SE or 4.4mm balanced? The BTR7 is stronger in SE than the KA5. But in Balanced, they are a much closer match. Also, did you try different filters on the KA5 (I like the Fast - LL), as they make a real difference in matching personal preferences with the KA5. I have both the BTR7 and KA5 and have been comparing them for more than a month (wired only). Sonically they seem very closely matched to me, with the KA5 being warmer and the BTR7 more detailed, the winner being more a matter of sonic preferences and music type, not a clear superiority of one over the other. In any event, they both have industry-leading sound at their price point, and the choice is more a matter of whether or not your use case needs the Bluetooth and battery of the BTR7.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #239 of 536
Were you listening via 3.5mm SE or 4.4mm balanced? The BTR7 is stronger in SE than the KA5. But in Balanced, they are a much closer match. Also, did you try different filters on the KA5 (I like the Fast - LL), as they make a real difference in matching personal preferences with the KA5. I have both the BTR7 and KA5 and have been comparing them for more than a month (wired only). Sonically they seem very closely matched to me, with the KA5 being warmer and the BTR7 more detailed, the winner being more a matter of sonic preferences and music type, not a clear superiority of one over the other. In any event, they both have industry-leading sound at their price point, and the choice is more a matter of whether or not your use case needs the Bluetooth and battery of the BTR7.

I was listening using BAL 4.4mm on both with default filter settings on both. Listened to the same playlist on both that I always use to A/B devices. Same Headphones on both as well.

To my ears, and IMHO, The BTR7 is miles ahead in sound quality and fidelity compared to the KA5, but that is always a subjective matter where one persons taste is different to another's.

EDIT:

Comparing the specs of the 2 units, it's clear to see that the BTR7 has the edge. The noise floor is better, the AMP is better, and the output power is better when it comes to Headphones in the 32ohm range.

Like all things, it's about pairing the right amplification/DAC with the headphones being used and for my situation using the Meze 109 Pro, the BTR7 is better suited (at least to my ears anyway which is all i'm stating here)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #240 of 536
I was listening using BAL 4.4mm on both with default filter settings on both. Listened to the same playlist on both that I always use to A/B devices. Same Headphones on both as well.

To my ears, and IMHO, The BTR7 is miles ahead in sound quality and fidelity compared to the KA5, but that is always a subjective matter where one persons taste is different to another's.

EDIT:

Comparing the specs of the 2 units, it's clear to see that the BTR7 has the edge. The noise floor is better, the AMP is better, and the output power is better when it comes to Headphones in the 32ohm range.

Like all things, it's about pairing the right amplification/DAC with the headphones being used and for my situation using the Meze 109 Pro, the BTR7 is better suited (at least to my ears anyway which is all i'm stating here)
I think you're right; it's likely the THX op amps in the BTR7 are better suited to driving the Meze 109 Pro, which takes a bit more drive than my Focal Clear OG, hence our different experiences. Also using standard filters in your testing might also help explain. With the newer chips, such as the Cirrus chips in the KA5, the filters make a real difference to the sound compared with the BTR7, which uses ESS. With the AKM and ESS chips, their filters were really well optimized for their chips, so most manufacturers just went with the default filters. But moving forward, filter selection, especially on non-AKM/ESS devices, will make a real difference to the sound as the manufacturers have to develop new filters for the new chips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back