FiiO K1--smaller and better for less
Dec 27, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #121 of 408
The impedance adapter puts more 75 ohms more impedance on the earphones. Doing so makes the volume lower but it increases the sound quality more specifically the sound stage and detail. This works very well with an amp so it gets rid of the volume loss.

Really? Sounds interesting. So how will this work? Where does the impedance adapter go in the chain? I'm assuming after the K1? Sorry never used an impedance adapter before.  

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #122 of 408
Well, I have a Nexus 5x which has similar insides to the G4. So far not working with a regular otg cable and type c adapter. I suspect that it is judt not giving it enough power and that it will work with a hub. But that's just a guess right now.

Dec 27, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #123 of 408
Really? Sounds interesting. So how will this work? Where does the impedance adapter go in the chain? I'm assuming after the K1? Sorry never used an impedance adapter before.  

The impedance adapter Comes after the K1 or any amp or dac you use and before the noble 4 or any iem you use. I've noticed a difference in sound from ba iems but not so much dynamic driver iems so the noble 4 is good to go.:)

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #124 of 408
The impedance adapter Comes after the K1 or any amp or dac you use and before the noble 4 or any iem you use. I've noticed a difference in sound from ba iems but not so much dynamic driver iems so the noble 4 is good to go.
smily_headphones1.gif

So if I use an impedance adapter I'll have to crank up the volume right? That would mean drawing more power from  the USB and this would have an effect on my laptop's battery life? 

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #126 of 408
That is correct. It's kinda of a two edged sword. You'll have less distortion and better sound quality however it would be draw more power.

That for me is a huge compromise just for that extra bit of improvement in (if there is any) sound quality. I guess I'll wait for your report to see if the resistance adapter warrants a try.  

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #129 of 408
Well, I have a Nexus 5x which has similar insides to the G4. So far not working with a regular otg cable and type c adapter. I suspect that it is judt not giving it enough power and that it will work with a hub. But that's just a guess right now.

I am thinking that I made a little mistake to move from my Nexus 5 to 6p, maybe 5x was the way to go, at least on the audio side (and price!), and the camera seems just good enough. I am wondering how good the G4 is for audio output (its camera seems to be excellent), although the V10 seems to be the king here.  

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #130 of 408
I think I had some basic misunderstanding about the K1. I asked FIIO support on Facebook and I got the answer below:

The K1 can be connected to your amplifier, but it's not suggested as the 3.5 mm jack is designed for phone out, other than Line out (...) You may consider using the E10K, Q1, E17K or E18.

I was expecting to use the line out in the K1 to "feed" my stereo amp but it seems the device is thought of as a "headphone amplifier for your laptop", very specific, and while it will work it's not recommended. I'll start looking at the other options, E10K/Q1/E17K/E18, or maybe a good USB board like the Creative XFI HD.. 

As for amp for Nexus 6p, it seems E12A is doing a good job together with my PX100II headphones.

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #131 of 408
  I think I had some basic misunderstanding about the K1. I asked FIIO support on Facebook and I got the answer below:

I was expecting to use the line out in the K1 to "feed" my stereo amp but it seems the device is thought of as a "headphone amplifier for your laptop", very specific, and while it will work it's not recommended. I'll start looking at the other options, E10K/Q1/E17K/E18, or maybe a good USB board like the Creative XFI HD.. 

As for amp for Nexus 6p, it seems E12A is doing a good job together with my PX100II headphones.

I used my K1 to drive my CKKIII headphone amp with no problem. Driving the much higher impedance load of an amp input versus any headphone/earphone should not present a problem for a device like the K1. If it is, I'd like to hear the explanation for that!

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #132 of 408
The impedance adapter puts more 75 ohms more impedance on the earphones. Doing so makes the volume lower but it increases the sound quality more specifically the sound stage and detail. This works very well with an amp so it gets rid of the volume loss.

A more technically correct way to put that is the adapter adds 75 ohms more impedance to the load seen by the output of the amp. It doesn't change the impedance of the phones.

Dec 29, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #135 of 408
Confirmed working on the HTC One m9:)

Which device is working? The FiiO K1? Please share more details please, the K1 doesn't work with Samsung and Sony mobile phones, it would be a big surprise if with HTC it would work without glitches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back