FiiO K1--smaller and better for less
Dec 25, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #106 of 408

If you want android support (using UAPP or Hiby type of apps that utilize their own usb drivers) - yes for Q1.  I didn't get a chance to a/b in my review since I was focusing more on other "thumb-drive" footprint usb-dacs for comparison, but they should be on par...  Actually, just did a quick K1 vs Q1 comparison and K1 has a little more sparkle and wider soundstage while Q1 is smother and low end extends a little deeper.  But overall similar.

My Nexus 6p is plug and play working with any application on either the Fiio Q1 or HRT MicroStreamer. The 6p has USB C and connects using a straight USB cable, not OTG. It also runs Android Marshmallow OS.
These are the portable DACs I have but it seems like this phone would work with anything.

Perhaps they changed something in Android 6.x, Google has been promising native usb dac support for awhile now.  I'm on Note 4 with a stock 5.x Lollipop, so no luck.  Are you using usb-c to micro-usb cable connected directly?  Astrapi, dSp, HA-2, etc. all come with micro-usb to micro-usb cables that look "normal" but actually have Pin 4+5 shorted internally to enable usb otg.

Dec 25, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #107 of 408
Perhaps they changed something in Android 6.x, Google has been promising native usb dac support for awhile now.  I'm on Note 4 with a stock 5.x Lollipop, so no luck.  Are you using usb-c to micro-usb cable connected directly?  Astrapi, dSp, HA-2, etc. all come with micro-usb to micro-usb cables that look "normal" but actually have Pin 4+5 shorted internally to enable usb otg.

I'm using regular synch/charge cables, USB c to micro or mini. From what I know, USB c has a sort of "host mode" built in to the spec (actually when I first tried it, the Q1's charge switch was on so my phone was actually charging the unit). I don't know if it's USB C or Android 6.x that makes things "just work" but it was a pleasant surprise. I'm curious if the K1 would also work. The MicroStreamer sucked to much juice which prompted me to get the Q1. If the K1 went easy on the battery it might be compelling but then I also appreciate the amp stage of the Q1 and really like having a knob volume control.

Dec 26, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #108 of 408
How does this compare to the E07K?

You mean the E07K vs the E12A? I never tested the E07K, but I *think* that is a bigger monster, AMP/DAC vs only AMP (E12A).

Dec 26, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #109 of 408
Has anybody else using a K1 with on Windows 7 noted that if the K1 is connected, the screen saver no longer functions? We had a short power outage the day I first used the K1 and ever since, no matter how many times I disabled/re-enabled the screen saver or changed the time before it would activate, it would never start.

I read that drivers for certain USB dongles for wireless mice have prevented the screen saver on Win 7/8 PCs from starting, but that was not the issue. So I disconnected the K1 and yep...the screen saver started normally, but after I reconnected the K1, the screen saver refuses to start.

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #113 of 408
The impedance adapter puts more 75 ohms more impedance on the earphones. Doing so makes the volume lower but it increases the sound quality more specifically the sound stage and detail. This works very well with an amp so it gets rid of the volume loss.

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #114 of 408
i love fiio products but it's a shame that it doesn't support android. the price point and form factor is perfect for me but i guess i have to go for the cozy astrapi for such thing. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #115 of 408
  i love fiio products but it's a shame that it doesn't support android. the price point and form factor is perfect for me but i guess i have to go for the cozy astrapi for such thing. 

Apparently, it supports some hardware, like it was mentioned above using the latest Nexus 6 with usb-c and Android 6.0, but not the majority of devices.

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #116 of 408
The impedance adapter puts more 75 ohms more impedance on the earphones. Doing so makes the volume lower but it increases the sound quality more specifically the sound stage and detail. This works very well with an amp so it gets rid of the volume loss.

You never know until you test this exact combination with your source/adapter/headphones.  Perhaps in theory it could/should work like that, but the magic of synergy can have a different outcome.  So, I wouldn't jump to a conclusion until you have everything in place and test it out
wink.gif
  But when you do, please come back and share about it with us!

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #118 of 408

Apparently, it supports some hardware, like it was mentioned above using the latest Nexus 6 with usb-c and Android 6.0, but not the majority of devices.

I'm curious if older phones with Android 6.0 would work. I am tempted to see if my LG G4 would work but if it doesn't, I am out $80.

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #119 of 408

I'm curious if older phones with Android 6.0 would work. I am tempted to see if my LG G4 would work but if it doesn't, I am out $80.

It goes for $39.99, not sure how you are out of $80 unless you bought a pair
wink.gif
  Maybe you can root it to see if that solves a problem, but I wouldn't bother.  Personally, I have a feeling with all the feedback FiiO received after the launch of K1, they will realize a demand to support more common android setups and perhaps will treat us with some variation of K1+ in a near future.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #120 of 408

It goes for $39.99, not sure how you are out of $80 unless you bought a pair
wink.gif
  Maybe you can root it to see if that solves a problem, but I wouldn't bother.  Personally, I have a feeling with all the feedback FiiO received after the launch of K1, they will realize a demand to support more common android setups and perhaps will treat us with some variation of K1+ in a near future.

Yep, I'm gonna wait for sure and see what Fiio does. In the meantime, I shall order the Astrapi since it's on sale over at CTC Audio. I should probably mentioned I live in Canada (Our dollar is poopy) so the only way for me to get is through the states

Users who are viewing this thread

Back