FIIO first cassette player CP13 is officially released!
Dec 14, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #61 of 425
Let's go back 39 years to 1984 - Walkman SONY WM-W800
Two-bay, recording + playback, stepper motor, tantalum capacitors, selection of tape type: normal, chrome, metal and Dolby NR...
spec:
  • Number of Transistors
  • Semiconductors present
    • Semiconductors
    • Main principle
    • Audio-Amplification
    • Wave bands
    • - without
    • Details
    • Cassette-Recorder or -Player
    • Power type and voltage
    • Batteries / addl. power jack / AA: 2 x 1,5 / 3 Volt
    • Loudspeaker
    • - For headphones or amp.
    • Power out
    • 0.016 W (undistorted)
    • Material
    • Plastics (no bakelite or catalin)
    • from Radiomuseum.org
    • Model: Walkman Stereo Cassette Corder WM-W800 - Sony Corporation; Tokyo
    • Shape
    • Very small Portable or Pocket-Set (Handheld) < 8 inch.
    • Dimensions (WHD)
    • 116 x 88.7 x 38.2 mm / 4.6 x 3.5 x 1.5 inch
    • Notes
    • Sony Double-Cassette Walkman Model WM-W800.
      Frequency Response: Deck A (Dolby NR off 40-15000Hz)
      Deck B 60-9000Hz
      Power Requirements:
      3V DC (2x 1,5V, AA)
      Sony AC-02 AC Power Adaptor (optional):
      US, Canadian - 120V AC, 60Hz
      AEP - 220V AC, 50Hz
      UK - 240V, 50Hz
      Sony EBP-500 Battery Case (Optional) for use on two IEC designation R20 batteries (size D)
      Sony DCC-70 car battery cord (optional) for use with 12V car battery
    • Net weight (2.2 lb = 1 kg)
    • 0.350 kg / 0 lb 12.3 oz (0.771 lb)
1702590871960.png
Cutting edge gear back in the day. 😊

Dec 14, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #63 of 425
I still have that 2230 - still sounds good!
So do I lol. I received my 2230 as a 16th Birthday present from my parents in the summer of 1975.
It's had little use over the years but is essentially the way I left it when I replaced it with a Kenwood KA 8100 in 1978.
Still works and sounds good after nearly 50 years!

Dec 14, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #64 of 425
Interesting, do you guys have any plans for portable CD players? That is as "retro" I'm willing to go back, heck I'm still using two Sony CD walkman.

I was still using a Sony cassette walkman in 2006/7 until it crapped out, as nostalgic as cassettes are they don't last long.

Dec 14, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #65 of 425
Interesting, do you guys have any plans for portable CD players? That is as "retro" I'm willing to go back, heck I'm still using two Sony CD walkman.

I was still using a Sony cassette walkman in 2006/7 until it crapped out, as nostalgic as cassettes are they don't last long.
There's a place in Connecticut that specializes in repairing Sony cassette decks, including the Sony PRO Walkman WMD 6C.
Mine has an issue after using a defective aftermarket adjustable power supply that damaged the speed servo. Now everything sounds like Alvin and the chimp munks. I received an estimate of $200 for the repair. The tech said the speed servo damage is a common problem when the OEM power supply fails and people try to find a suitable replacement.

Dec 14, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #66 of 425
This whole project will end in a version of the Oriolus DPS-L2.

https://headfonics.com/oriolus-dps-l2-review/

oriolus-dps-l2.jpg.webp

The idea was awesome, but what it needed was tape player included, plus the DAP.

If anyone can do it @FiiO can pull it off!

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #67 of 425
As a tape collector with a D6C, I can’t wait for this.

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #68 of 425
I think most people who compare analogue formats with digital formats are missing the point by a country mile.

We all know and appreciate digital/hi-res sources and we all accept vinyl/cassette doesn't come anywhere near close for clarity, resolution and frequency response and brings in audible caveats and disbenefits.
The point about vinyl/cassette is the fact that it has a sound signature and character set all of its' own.
It's a tactile medium. LP's smell great and they're nice to hold and look at. There's a whole arduous procedure of loading up a vinyl record or cassette that for some, is also a hugely rewarding process.

Personally, for myself, vinyl and cassette have never been away. I grew up with them and thankfully never lost interest in these formats and still cherish and enjoy using them today. Call it nostalgia. I don't care.
I also love listening to DSD files through my LCD2f's and find the experience just as rewarding but in a totally different way than when listening to the same music on the older formats.

Comparing analogue and digital formats is like comparing chalk and cheese.
Some people like eating cheese and some people like eating chalk!
:dt880smile:
We'll said...😉

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #69 of 425
As many of you know we are going to make cassette player, we are now trying our best to work out the production issues. We plan to release our CP13 before Feb, 2024. Considering that some people don't have tapes, we'll be giving away a copyrighted, original tape in countries that are allowed to give away tapes at sales events! Any idea about what you need for a cassette player, pls feel free to let us know. Let's revel in the timeless tunes, experience the soulful melodies.

CP130.jpg
1.png
Hopefully capable of connecting to a receiver...That would be major...And
Of course quality inerds, producing quality sound that will Last without breaking...

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #70 of 425
There's a place in Connecticut that specializes in repairing Sony cassette decks, including the Sony PRO Walkman WMD 6C.
Mine has an issue after using a defective aftermarket adjustable power supply that damaged the speed servo. Now everything sounds like Alvin and the chimp munks. I received an estimate of $200 for the repair. The tech said the speed servo damage is a common problem when the OEM power supply fails and people try to find a suitable replacement.
Damn, wish I knew when I was still living in Boston, I don't think have the cassette player anymore or any tapes left. I'm sticking strictly with CDs and ripping them now.

Dec 14, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #71 of 425
Can you hook this thing onto a computer and record using audacity?

Tapes will get worn after repeated usage, I have some really obscure tapes from the 90s I'd like to archive.

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #73 of 425
I get this retro wave that every 30-40 years some old trends and technologies return in a new robe, but do not quite understand the need for cassettes. It is different with vinyl, as those truly convey a uniquely 'fluid' analogue sound, but I do not think cassettes offer anything unique in the world of hi-res streaming. They just sound noisy and unrefined with terrible resolution. At least that is how I remember even to top level Sony Walkmans from the 90's. I do not mean to sound negative, just don't quite get the idea this time.
I'd have to agree. These are super cool but also for WHO? I mean Peach's down in NOLA has a bunch of tapes/CD's (predominately vinyl) and I would imagine there ARE other places with hoards of old casettes but even my father who worked in the music industry doing radio promotions for 2 decades got rid of his storage unit filled with tapes and promotional CD's. For those who do have a box or 2 of squirrelled away tapes awesome... for everyone else :head_bandage:

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #74 of 425
As many of you know we are going to make cassette player, we are now trying our best to work out the production issues. We plan to release our CP13 before Feb, 2024. Considering that some people don't have tapes, we'll be giving away a copyrighted, original tape in countries that are allowed to give away tapes at sales events! Any idea about what you need for a cassette player, pls feel free to let us know. Let's revel in the timeless tunes, experience the soulful melodies.

I wonder why the Sony cassette tape labels read backward? A play on the original purveyor (Sony)?

I don't understand the appeal. I moved on from cassette tapes 30 years ago. Do kids want to recreate their parents/grandparents stereo equipment?

Care for a 128GB USB stick with the ability to record bit perfect, lossless, Hi Res songs for $12?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back