FiiO EH3 NC - Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones
Jan 4, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #106 of 143
Any feedback on how these compare to Sony's 1000XM3 in terms of max volume?

just did a 2 minutes face to face between the Fiio and the Sony. Both wired to my BTR5 in USB DAC mode. The Sony clearly delivers better when ANC is on compared to when it’s wired and switched off. I kept the Fiio switched off as it sounds the best in that mode. In this comparison the Sony is about 10% louder. The Fiio is more enjoyable for me being clearly more spacious and airy. My only issue is the performance with ANC on. Big problem for me with the Fiio. still need to test in BT mode.

Jan 4, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #107 of 143
Just upgraded my EH3NC's firmware to 1.6 from stock. At the very least, it has fixed the uneven volume control on my Android phone and adds "power on" and "power off" voices, both of which are big quality of life improvements. It was a very easy process following the instructions on my Windows 10 PC and finished in less than 5 minutes.

Here's the link to it: http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=45008&extra=page=1

Fixed the power control on the desktop too. Whenever I had it plugged into my laptop I had to keep it at 8 (out of 100) to not blow my ears.

Jan 4, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #108 of 143
Do these have balanced circuity by any chance? I wonder how they'd performance balanced?

Awesome!
No balanced option on them I'm afraid - 3.5mm in is a standard stereo jack. I don't even know if USB-C would get you closer, since it would depend on the internal wiring from the built in DAC/AMP.

Jan 5, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #109 of 143
Tested LDAC tonight did not have time to compare with the Sony, but LDAC on the Fiio (Qobuz FLACs on Samsung S8)is very nice indeed. In fact switching back to the same song on the iPhone reminded me that AAC is probably the most frustrating part in the iPhone.....

Jan 5, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #110 of 143
Just upgraded my EH3NC's firmware to 1.6 from stock. At the very least, it has fixed the uneven volume control on my Android phone and adds "power on" and "power off" voices, both of which are big quality of life improvements. It was a very easy process following the instructions on my Windows 10 PC and finished in less than 5 minutes.

Here's the link to it: http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=45008&extra=page=1

How is the sound with ANC on?

Jan 5, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #111 of 143
just did a 2 minutes face to face between the Fiio and the Sony. Both wired to my BTR5 in USB DAC mode. The Sony clearly delivers better when ANC is on compared to when it’s wired and switched off. I kept the Fiio switched off as it sounds the best in that mode. In this comparison the Sony is about 10% louder. The Fiio is more enjoyable for me being clearly more spacious and airy. My only issue is the performance with ANC on. Big problem for me with the Fiio. still need to test in BT mode.

I see.. thanks for the feedback. I'm mainly curious with how their max volume compares when connected via bluetooth. I want something atleast as loud as my 1000xm3 but with tighter bass.. I've eq'd them to an acceptable level but the loose bass is the biggest shortcoming with the Sony's for me.

Jan 8, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #115 of 143
From what I can tell just from observation is that these are like a rebranded Audio-Technica DSR9BT with noise canceling and LDAC thrown in. The design and build quality and sound are exactly the same. Including the DSR9BT's big flaw, cheap creaking plastic!
The DSR9BT were $549, but at $169 (currently) I think they are at just the right price. The sound at first was uncomfortable , there was hardly any bass and a very high treble peak. After about 20 hours, the treble while still boosted smoothed out to something listenable. I imagine if you listen to low quality music it might not sound good though. The bass finally shows up but it's very controlled. It's there when it needs to be and gone when its not needed. Personally I like the sound better than the QC35 and WH-1000xm3.
I don't care about Noise Canceling so I can't say much about it. I did turn it on and found that it added its own noise. I was just looking for a comfortable headphone that supported all the high res codecs. The WH-1000xM3 failed at this , since Sony colored the sound so much that the AptX-HD and LDAC codecs has no noticeable effect.

I'm thinking about buying a second pair just to use at work....if only Fiio would fix that creaking plastic! And where are the additional earpad? were't they suppose to have a Velour set? I wouldn't mind a sheepskin either.

Thinking about this it makes sense that someone else is making these for Fiio or Fiio is rebranding someone else's headphones. Entering the market cold and doing it all yourself would be a big financial risk with your first product.

Jan 16, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #116 of 143
I have posted an in-depth video about EH3NC just now :)

I'll be honest with you, for 200 USD they are quite interesting. I know they aren't creme de la creme of audio, but man, I'm judging them for 200 USD, and compared to what else you can get for the money, for a headphone with a solid Bluetooth performance, EH3NC is pretty good, especially if you love bass and warm sound :)

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #117 of 143

I'll be honest with you, for 200 USD they are quite interesting. I know they aren't creme de la creme of audio, but man, I'm judging them for 200 USD, and compared to what else you can get for the money, for a headphone with a solid Bluetooth performance, EH3NC is pretty good, especially if you love bass and warm sound :)

At same price (because 1000xm3 can be bought for this quantity right now), which one would be better in terms of an average? For ANC I think that the winner its clear but in general, how is the sound quality?

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #118 of 143

1. How speed and bass quality?
2. Mid details?
3. Will you can use 3.5mm without a built-in amp, and the difference in sound with a wireless connection.

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #119 of 143
At same price (because 1000xm3 can be bought for this quantity right now), which one would be better in terms of an average? For ANC I think that the winner its clear but in general, how is the sound quality?

I now have the Fiio as my only ANC headphones. I sold the Sony mainly because prices went up again after Christmas (at least in this part of Europe) and as a result I was able to sell it for a very good price. Am currently on the fence if I see the two reviews published in the last 24 hours (Audiophile heaven who liked it and Z who literally trashed it). On the one hand I really like the sound when wired via a DAC (currently running with the BTR5) - much more than the Sony. BT is not too bad (although I have an iPhone so AAC). The real issue is ANC and this is massive - these headphones are ANC headphones so getting ANC wrong is not a trivial thing. I am flying to the US week after next and am now seriously thinking whether I should take the Fiio with me (which means I will need to buy something else - ouch).

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #120 of 143
On the one hand I really like the sound when wired via a DAC (currently running with the BTR5) - much more than the Sony. BT is not too bad (although I have an iPhone so AAC). The real issue is ANC and this is massive - these headphones are ANC headphones so getting ANC wrong is not a trivial thing.

Nailed it.
I'm only going to use ANC on a flight, and they're good enough. While I was in the UK over Christmas and these were my only full size cans, I quite enjoyed them.
It's a little like buying a bargain wine. You keep drinking it and keep remarking - "You know, it's really not a bad wine. For the price, it's a drinkable wine!" You're not going to sit back and relish the finer details, you're just going to have it when you want some wine.

The Mobius, every time I take them off I have to make a remark about how awesome they are, because I really think they are.
The Ananda, the same but with even more enthusiasm.
The InEar PP8s - same as the Ananda.
The Fiios - "You know what, these are pretty good. Really not bad"

But that's wired and ANC off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back