FiiO E9K or Schiit Magni? (Already own the FiiO E9K)
Dec 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Aelemar

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a FiiO E9 in Amazon, and received the E9K instead (paid 88 bucks)

Someone mentioned the Schiit Magni amplifier, for $99 bucks.

My setup is:

Sound Card: Creative Titanium X-Fi HD
Headphones: AKG Q701
Main purpose: Gaming

The question is simple: Which is better and why? Which one has better audio quality? Would it be worth to switch to the Schiit, or the FiiO is just fine for my setup?

Please note, I am at the 100 price range because at this time I cannot afford anything more expensive.

Thank you very much!!!

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 35
I would think the E09K is fine for the Q701.
And you got a great price.

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 35
Thank you very much! I was concerned about sound quality, blah blah and all that (I am an audio noob, however I have very very good ears and can detect even the slightest difference in sound). 
I kept hearing that the Schiit Magni this or that, but the E9K seems to have a pretty good reputation as well. 

Something about the E9K supposedly was the output impedance on the headphone out, but I also read in some places that the K701/Q701 are not affected by it (as in they are the only sub-80Ohms headphones that are not affected by the E9Ks output impedance) 

Thank you very much for your feedback! 

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:
Thank you very much! I was concerned about sound quality, blah blah and all that (I am an audio noob, however I have very very good ears and can detect even the slightest difference in sound). 
I kept hearing that the Schiit Magni this or that, but the E9K seems to have a pretty good reputation as well. 

Something about the E9K supposedly was the output impedance on the headphone out, but I also read in some places that the K701/Q701 are not affected by it (as in they are the only sub-80Ohms headphones that are not affected by the E9Ks output impedance) 

Thank you very much for your feedback! 

You can always ask on this thread about what is a good amp. for the Q701.
(they would know better then me).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Hmm I don't know about that. Assuming the E9K has an output impedance of 10 ohms like the E9, the Q701 won't perform its best because its impedance is 62 ohms. For optimal performance, the impedance should be approximately eight times that of the amp's output impedance. The Q701 may be affected less compared to some other headphones, but the issue is still there. Just something to think about.

If you're able to return the FiiO E9K, I'm fairly sure you'll like the Magni more, on the basis that people compare it to the O2, and the O2 is definitely better than the E9K.

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:
Would not the lower output impedance of the Magni (1ohm) be preffered to the (10 ohm I think) output impedance of the FiiO E9? Given that the Q701 is 62 ohms.

Oops.

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 35
Agreed for fifty bucks more the O2 is a well documented amp and def on my wish list. Schiit says they believe in more than numbers and amps are meant to be heard.....I raise an eyebrow at that kind of talk. I am trying my level best to wait for the ODA. Still at 100 bucks I would sooner pick up the Magni over the E9K.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #10 of 35
Thank you very much for all your replies guys. In the end, I ended up getting the JDS Labs O2. 
Interestingly enough, in the O2 I cannot use the RCA outs and instead have to use the Titanium HD headphone out. 

I run my computer volume at 100% and control volume directly through the O2. 

Interestingly, the O2 does seem to sound better than the E9K, but the E9K seems to have higher volume potential 

(E9K volume knob  on low or high gain has to be moved to around the 9 o'clock position for optimal volume, while the O2 on high gain has to be around the 11 o'clock position. The E9K was run at 90% computer volume while the O2 is at 100%)

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 35
Use a RCA to mini cable to hook it up to the O2, the O2 is a great amp

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #13 of 35
Hm, thank you for your suggestion :) Will use the lower gain switch. 

I just tested putting all volume to max with both minimum and maximum gain, and at the very maximum volume (a bit earlier with the gain on max) there is a bit of static. 

I am not sure if it would be interference inside the case (however, this static is only present at 100% volume both on the amp and the computer, and not present at normal listening levels), or if it has something to do with the fact that I am not using the headphone out on the card. 

If I wanted to use the RCA outs on the card, would this work for an adapter to use it with the O2? 

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103710

Please advise :) 

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #14 of 35
O2 is silent, so it's noise from the headphone out of the soundcard. RCA should be better

This is the cable you want:
http://m.radioshack.com/radioshack/product/detail.do?itemId=13249202&categoryId=1092772&path=Home%7CHobby+%26+Do-It-Yourself%7CConnectors+%26+connectivity%7CA%2FV+connectors+%26+adapters%7C3-Ft.+1%2F8%26quot%3B+Stereo+to+Dual+Phono+%28RCA%29+Plug+Y-cable

Enjoy

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #15 of 35
Same here as everyone above said. Try to use only the amount of gain necessary. Also find the sweet spot and try to run neither the sound card or the O2 at 100%. This ensures headroom for instantaneous demand. Your car may have a top speed of 180 but you don't want to drive it that way all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back