FiiO E9 Review
Nov 8, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #31 of 1,324
Quick question,

Considering a desktop computer + E9 setup, what is the use of E7?  Does it add more function or improve performance with E7's presence? 

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #32 of 1,324
Unless you have a good soundcard, then adding an E7 would be a significant upgrade to the usually crappy onboard soundcards. The E7 overrides the soundcard and acts like an external soundcard, and feeds that signal to the E9. It's a match made in affordable audio heaven.

Nov 8, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #33 of 1,324
Yeah, the E7's strong-suit is for computer setups. People who have other sources such as iPods won't benefit from the E7 (with the E9) at all, unless they are going to use it as a portable amp.

Definitely get the E7 with the E9 for a computer setup.

Nov 8, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #34 of 1,324

Quote:
Unless you have a good soundcard, then adding an E7 would be a significant upgrade to the usually crappy onboard soundcards. The E7 overrides the soundcard and acts like an external soundcard, and feeds that signal to the E9. It's a match made in affordable audio heaven.

QFT

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #36 of 1,324
I heard it uses the new dac as the new Ibasso D12...

Super clean sound... but it is my first dac so I dunno what it compares to, but from what I've read, it's a REALLY good DAC.

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #37 of 1,324
I can't find the thread but I know Mark has owned both and has done a comparison.

Tech spec-wise, the uDAC-2 supports 96kHz/24bit audio, whereas the E7 only supports 48/16. This technically makes the uDAC-2 better.

However, considering the majority of music available is in CD quality at best, most music only goes as high as 44/16 anyway, so a lot of the higher end potential is lost.

Also take into consideration that while both support up to 300 ohms, the E7 has the ability to upgrade and pair with the E9 which will increase the power to 600 ohms.

It's really dependent on your setup, and what you will use them for.

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #38 of 1,324
ah awsome thanks for the advice. too bad there's no +rep function

Quote:
I can't find the thread but I know Mark has owned both and has done a comparison.

Tech spec-wise, the uDAC-2 supports 96kHz/24bit audio, whereas the E7 only supports 48/16. This technically makes the uDAC-2 better.

However, considering the majority of music available is in CD quality at best, most music only goes as high as 44/16 anyway, so a lot of the higher end potential is lost.

Also take into consideration that while both support up to 300 ohms, the E7 has the ability to upgrade and pair with the E9 which will increase the power to 600 ohms.

It's really dependent on your setup, and what you will use them for.

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #39 of 1,324

Hey Envy if you don't mind, can you write up a short review on the e7or e9..not sure if it's the search function but I'm not finding much on either products. I know e9 has been released recently but havent found much of anything on the e7s.
Quote:
I heard it uses the new dac as the new Ibasso D12...

Super clean sound... but it is my first dac so I dunno what it compares to, but from what I've read, it's a REALLY good DAC.

Nov 9, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #40 of 1,324
I have some modded t50rp's and an auzentech xfi prelude.  I can't detect any noise whatsoever from the soundcard on my ad700's, and m50's.  Would the e9 be worth it for me to really push the t50rp's using the xfi?  Or should I just get the e7 and e9 and cut the soundcard out of the loop?  

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #41 of 1,324

Quote:
Hey Envy if you don't mind, can you write up a short review on the e7or e9..not sure if it's the search function but I'm not finding much on either products. I know e9 has been released recently but havent found much of anything on the e7s.

Quick and dirty, here are my impressions.

E7 - Not a very powerful portable amp, but has a really good clean DAC and fantastic Bass Boost settings (which are more sound signature changing that just mere bass boosting). It works well with 32ohm Beyers, as well as the DT770 Pro 80. Don't expect it drive hard to drive headphones LOUDLY. In fact, while the amp sounds better on the E7, the E5 has very SLIGHTLY more volume... the E7 makes a better DAC/AMP than an amp alone. Bass Boost 1 is great on bright headphones, as it adds a hint of warmth with a subtle (and I mean subtle) boost in bass. The other 2 Bass Boost settings add a LOT more bass and makes it even warmer. The treble significantly rolls off with Bass Boost 2 and 3. If you're looking for a DAC, the E7 is splendid. As for portable amping, don't expect miracles. Since it's made to be a PORTABLE amp, I will say that this will work wonderfully on portable headphones that may need some extra juice. It's in a whole 'nother league from the E5. I'd skip the E5 and come straight to the E7 as far as portable amping goes. Besides the E7 pairs up real well to the E9, so if you're looking into the E9, you should NOT miss the E7 if you have no decent portable amp.

E9 - Here's the quick and dirty: POWERFUL. Relatively transparent, not adding or taking anything away from a headphone's innate sound signature. Very clear amping. It's essentially a power amp that is true to the original source in relation to the headphone you're using. So it you find a headphone lacking bass, it will still lack bass. If you find it too warm/bright, it will stay too warm/bright. There is NO coloration of the sound that most people will able to hear. If you want a great amp at a great price that can drive most of your toughest headphones, the E9 will do so. If you want to add or take away something to the sound, go with a tube amp, as the E9 is as true to the source as I can see any amp having without having to spend a LOT more money. What it WILL do is refine and tighten up the sound as it's driving the headphones I own with ample power. No matter if you use low or high gain, you will pretty much NEVER pass the 12 o' clock position on the volume pot. Let me say it again: If you are looking for an amp that fixes sound signature problems that you find on your headphones, the E9 is not it. Unless your headphones were very underdriven before, the E9 pretty much lets you hear what your headphone really sounds like at it's core, so that may help those who listened to their headphones off crappy soundcards or plugged directly into ipods and whatnot.

E7/E9 alone - A lot of people are looking for an amp and dac to pair up with their computers. For $200 or even less if you shop around, I don't think ANYONE who wants to stay true to the original source in relation with the headphones they own will be anything less than ecstatic about this powerful, yet affordable amp/dac combo. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

9/10 based on price, performance, and staying true to my headphones. I was looking for an amp that wouldn't change the way my headphones sounded, but would drive them with ample power. The E9 is exactly what I hoped for.

Those are my opinions, so take it however you want... I'm not the final word when it comes to amp/dac properties, but I have heard other impressions of people who have owned amps worth over $600, and they say the E9 is just as good as them if you want transparency.

As usual YMMV, as we all hear differently. OP said it adds a bit of warmth. I initially found it adding just a touch of brightness. Now it just sounds fairly neutral post-burn in (about 100+ hours so far)

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #42 of 1,324
Hi envy. Not sure if someone ask this before. Is it the e9 itself does not built in a DAC module and need to rely on the e7's DAC chip? If so what is the use of the USB in for e9 of it is alone?

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #43 of 1,324

Quote:
Hi envy. Not sure if someone ask this before. Is it the e9 itself does not built in a DAC module and need to rely on the e7's DAC chip? If so what is the use of the USB in for e9 of it is alone?

The E9 has no DAC, the USB out is ONLY for when the E7 is docked, as it feeds the source signal to the E7 to do it's DAC function. The E7 charges while docked, regardless of the USB being plugged in or not.

To others:

Like Feiao said, the E7 stays powered while docked, so putting the key lock function on the E7 will shut off and save the oled screen, but the device itself remains on. The E7 doesn't have to be turned off, unless people are just anal about their devices being turned off when not in use.

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #44 of 1,324
So, the amping section from the E7 is better than E5? I read something in a thread that those amps are exactly the same. Ik have an E5, use it with my ipod and a LOD cable.

But I ordered the E7/E9 combo now.

Just to get it straight:

- off course i use the combo e7/e9 on my desktop with my dt770, so I won't have to use that crappy on-board audio from my pc (this is the main reason i ordered the fiio combo)
- if i want to listen in the bed room, to my 770 with best sound, I would use the e9 only (ipod-->lod-->e9-->dt770), i think?
- on the move, I don't think I will drag that e9 with me, I best use the e7 with the ipod? And: when I take my AKG450's with me in stead of the dt770's, will I still benefit from taking the e7 along in stead of the e5?

As for ipod-akg450, i guess the main reason of use is to connect via lod...

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #45 of 1,324
Quote:
So, the amping section from the E7 is better than E5? I read something in a thread that those amps are exactly the same. Ik have an E5, use it with my ipod and a LOD cable.

But I ordered the E7/E9 combo now.

Just to get it straight:

- off course i use the combo e7/e9 on my desktop with my dt770, so I won't have to use that crappy on-board audio from my pc (this is the main reason i ordered the fiio combo)
- if i want to listen in the bed room, to my 770 with best sound, I would use the e9 only (ipod-->lod-->e9-->dt770), i think?
- on the move, I don't think I will drag that e9 with me, I best use the e7 with the ipod? And: when I take my AKG450's with me in stead of the dt770's, will I still benefit from taking the e7 along in stead of the e5?

As for ipod-akg450, i guess the main reason of use is to connect via lod...

I believe the E7 is better than the E5 as the E5 will eventually produce hiss and distortion at higher volumes. I have not tried to push my E7 to this point but I wouldn't be surprised if it did as well, but it probably will hold out much better. Also, you can still use the E7 as a DAC by itself; thus getting a much cleaner input than and E5 would from a 3.5mm

Another thing, Even though the E5 is listed as being able to handle 300 ohms, I have a hard time believing something of that size can truly produce enough voltage to properly drive anything in that area. That said, the E7 should be able to handle better, but is still not going to be very powerful. The strongest feature of the E7 is the DAC, so pairing it with the E9 is obviously going to give you the best listening experience.

And as for your bullet points, yes they are correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back