Fiio E9, need help/opinion
Jan 14, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #16 of 42
Yeah, you'll want to find a DAC.

Hold off on the E7, the E17 will be out shortly, and its similar to the E10, but with the features the E7 has combined with the improvements in the E10. It can dock into the E9 for instance.

Then again, you might be better off going with the E10 (its cheaper than the E17 or E9, let alone both). I've been trying one and its a pretty great sounding little device. I've been considering going for the E17 instead though as I could use a portable and the SPDIF.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #17 of 42
Quote:
It sounds like the OP like "extended high frequency" or the OP 's ears are used to the laptop sound from the headphone jacks.

The E9 is powerful and neutral on the warm side so if you are used to bright sound, you ain't going to like it with or without the E7 as USB DAC. I feel the E9 is very smooth and neutral without any brightness or offensive in your face type.

The E10 via my laptop on the other hand is some tiny dude ( about the size of the match box) who is really kicking butt. It's punchy, fast and it will make your hard rock music come alive. I like the E10 a lot but it's more like HI-FI sound. It's good stereo sound for fun and pure enjoyment.

The Audio Engine D1 on the other hand sounds more into enrty Hi-end sound. Just an entry level, that's calling for some serious and critical listening .

This is just one man opinion.

What do you mean by "extended high frequency"?

Yes, the E9 sounds softer and easier to my ears, but without the amp, I do hear something that I don't hear when I'm using the E9. This is unexpected. As the article I've read here says:

Quote:
The most common reaction folks have with their first experience listening to good headphones with a good amp is, “I’ve heard stuff I’ve never heard before, I’m going to have to listen to my whole music collection over again.”

I expected to reveal more details from my music using my E9, not losing them. So, do you think pairing my E9 with E10 is going to make it better?

Also, may I know why you mentioned Audio Engine D1? Is it a DAC?

I'm sorry, if there's a lot of things or glossaries that I don't understand it. I'm new to the audio world.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #18 of 42

Quote:

What do you mean by "extended high frequency"?

Yes, the E9 sounds softer and easier to my ears, but without the amp, I do hear something that I don't hear when I'm using the E9. This is unexpected. As the article I've read here says:

I expected to reveal more details from my music using my E9, not losing them. So, do you think pairing my E9 with E10 is going to make it better?

Also, may I know why you mentioned Audio Engine D1? Is it a DAC?

I'm sorry, if there's a lot of things or glossaries that I don't understand it. I'm new to the audio world.

I do not think you are loosing any  detail from your original source, It's there with the E9 if you pay attention to it. The detail of HF may not be prominent as the way your ears used to the sound of your laptop sound card. " Extended HF" is a polite term for brightness and somewhat harsh type of sound that will  lead to  a listener fatigue in a long listening session even though its brightness bring out more details. Think Klipsch Horn vs Apogee ribbon speakers if you have a chance to audition both.

I also mention AE D1. Yes, it is an USBDAC/amp combo and it's a bit less expensive  than the E9/E7 combo .  It has different type of presentation than the FiiO and I like it with the Senn .  Try a 30 days free audition if you can. who knows that you may like it.

Best wish,

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #19 of 42

Quote:

I do not think you are loosing any  detail from your original source, It's there with the E9 if you pay attention to it. The detail of HF may not be prominent as the way your ears used to the sound of your laptop sound card. " Extended HF" is a polite term for brightness and somewhat harsh type of sound that will  lead to  a listener fatigue in a long listening session even though its brightness bring out more details. Think Klipsch Horn vs Apogee ribbon speakers if you have a chance to audition both.

I also mention AE D1. Yes, it is an USBDAC/amp combo and it's a bit less expensive  than the E9/E7 combo .  It has different type of presentation than the FiiO and I like it with the Senn .  Try a 30 days free audition if you can. who knows that you may like it.

Best wish,

Okay, now I know why I'm losing details in my music. When I'm using the E9, my Superlux only emit the left channel sound. My right channel is basically my left channel sound also. So I hear left channels in my both ears. What can I do to make my right channel emit the right sound? Is my unit defective?

Thanks for your explanation to the glossaries. I'm not sure where I can find those speakers but I'll try when I take a trip to audio shops.

About the DAC you have mentioned, what's it's sound characteristic? I'd be glad if you want to share your experience :p Anyway, I have no idea how can I do a 30 day audition. Maybe that only happen on the other side of the globe, the States perhaps? I heard that you can buy items and return them before 30 days there.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #20 of 42
Have you used the 6.3mm input? The E9 sometimes has faulty 3.5mm inputs...

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #21 of 42

Quote:
Have you used the 6.3mm input? The E9 sometimes has faulty 3.5mm inputs...

Yes, I'm now using the 6.3mm input and I only get left channel sounds on both channel.

Is it the way I plugged in my E9? I use 3.5mm to 3.5mm male connector (laptop headphone/speaker jack to E9 line in jack), then I plugged in my Superlux to the 6.3mm headphone output jack located in the front. I saw somebody wrote that I'm currently double amping and should not plug my E9 to headphone jack. Is it the problem?

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #22 of 42
I'm not exactly sure. Do you still have this issue if you plug the cans directly to your computer? The problem MAY be the line in on the E9... can't be certain. Sounds like the lines are crossed somewhere in the chain...

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #23 of 42

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure. Do you still have this issue if you plug the cans directly to your computer? The problem MAY be the line in on the E9... can't be certain. Sounds like the lines are crossed somewhere in the chain...

Nah. If I plug my headphone directly to my laptop's headphone jack the left and right channel produces the right sound.

Is it possible that my 3.5mm to 3.5mm male connector is the problem?

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #26 of 42
This is embarrassing... My unit isn't defective. It is the cable that wasn't connected all the way in to the jack. After fastening it I get sounds from both channels. I think my my cable gets loose easily because I got the same problem this night and I fixed it by fastening it.

One more question. Is it worth to buy Fiio E10 if I only use Superlux HD668B? Yesterday I went to the shop, I paired my E9 with E10 and I didn't really hear sound quality improvements. Could it be my headphone that hit the limit or is it just me that didn't hear the difference?

Different story when I plugged the E10 alone as the bass boost and gain setting could be used. I did hear difference.

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #27 of 42
Yeah the E9 jacks are a little stiff so you have to push em in kinda hard. Honestly, you probably would have been better off just getting an E10 by itself to serve as a dac and an amp. Since the Superlux's are easy to drive you probably don't really need the extra juice the E9 offers.

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:
Yeah the E9 jacks are a little stiff so you have to push em in kinda hard. Honestly, you probably would have been better off just getting an E10 by itself to serve as a dac and an amp. Since the Superlux's are easy to drive you probably don't really need the extra juice the E9 offers.

Yeah... The shopkeeper said the same thing.

Oh okay, since I've already bought my E9, there's no point of returning back. Say, if I'm going to buy an E10, should I use my E10 together with my E9 or is the E10 better off alone? Provided that I use the same setup.

Jan 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #29 of 42
Based on what I've read about the E10 and my own experience with the E9, you'd probably be better off with just the E10, unless you eventually plan on getting harder to drive headphones. If I were in your shoes, I would try to save a bit of money and either return the E9 if I could or post on the for sale forum here and either try to trade for an E10 or just sell it and buy an E10

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:
Based on what I've read about the E10 and my own experience with the E9, you'd probably be better off with just the E10, unless you eventually plan on getting harder to drive headphones. If I were in your shoes, I would try to save a bit of money and either return the E9 if I could or post on the for sale forum here and either try to trade for an E10 or just sell it and buy an E10

Thank you, I really appreciate your advice and experience :)

Does the E10 sounds better or is the E9 doesn't add much to sound quality improvement with my current setup? How do they compare?

I might buy a better headphones in the future, I'm not sure when but I surely will. Maybe I could keep this E9 as an investment so I won't be needing to buy an amp when I finally got a new headphone. How can I know if a headphone is easy or hard to drive?

I'm still learning, that will explain why I'm asking so much question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back