Fiio E7 with E09K - channel imbalance and high pitched whine on output?
Feb 15, 2015 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Christopher

New Head-Fier
I just received an E09K to pair with my (first gen) E7. I bought it given FiiO's confirmation that the post-September 2012 version of the E09K was fully compatible with it.

Unfortunately when I hooked it up to my PC and listened through the front output, this is what I heard:

http://files.chriswoods.co.uk/audio/2015_02_15-fiio_e7_e09k_usb_problem.m4a
(this is the EBU 5.1 BLITS Channel ident test, spec doc on the EBU site)

I played this from foobar2000 using the Channel Mixer DSP plugin to downmix to 2.0. I visually verified outputted levels from foobar were correct and aligned, and foobar's volume slider was at max.

The 1 kHz and 2 kHz tones in the audio should be 100% center (equal power both channels), but there's an 8 dB imbalance to the right channel!

Also if you listen before the track starts, I fade the E09K up from -90 dB and you can hear a constant, high pitched whine over the audio. The output from the amp is also very quiet - this recording was done with the E07K's 10 dB boost switch enabled. (!)

FiiO E7 & E09K docked, USB interface -- look at the noise!

I tried the same test directly out of my E7's 3.5 mm outputs (with E7 plugged into PC via USB), all was ok.
I tried routing my PC soundcard through the E09K's Aux In RCAs and performing the same test: the audio was FAR louder even without the E09K's boost switch enabled - and also perfectly balanced channels.

Is this a known issue with the E7 + E09K combination, might it be a problem with the docking interface, or might it a problem with the E09K? I've not contacted FiiO yet.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 3
i am now facing the same with fiio x3ii (headphone out jack). waiting to get it replaced under warranty.
i have faced the same issue with the fiio e11 portable amp in the past too.
this happens both with my earphones (shure se846) and headphones (ultrasone pro 900) while these earphones/headphones work properly and perfectly with all other brands' products i own.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/743704/the-fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ex-x3k-x3ii-thread-192k-24b-cs4398-native-dsd-usb-dac-with-lo-and-inline-remote/6615#post_12174555

Dec 28, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #3 of 3
Unfortunately I gave up and returned the dock. There must just be a chipset or design incompatibility. I bought the Alpen and will get the new dock for that when it's released.

I wonder if FiiO has any comment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back