FiiO E7 VS uDAC-2
Aug 30, 2011 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JJE37

New Head-Fier
What is the best portable DAC/AMP around $100 with either a usb or spdif/optical input?

Setup now:
Tb micro ii > ear force dss > HD555mod

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 17
I"ve got the uDAC2 and the E7 is arriving very soon - I'll report on sonic differences when I do. The one main difference between the two is that you cannot use the uDAC2 without it being powered from the USB of your PC/laptop. In this role it performs very creditably and powered my 300 ohm HPs to good listening levels with the volume under 12 o'clock.

However, when I ran it into the Fiio E9 amp this took my Sennheiser HD580s to a whole new level of listening pleasure. So while it will power the more difficult to drive HPs a separate amp really makes a difference. I suspect that the E7 will be similar though you can take it on the move with you as it has a separate battery and it will also connect to your PC via the USB port. For its versatility this puts the E7 in front but if you're going to use a USB DAC solely with a PC/laptop then the uDAC2 has to be considered.

Sep 1, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 17
I just bought the e7 through amazon micca store, because of their great customer service.  I was convinced to buy it because of a very comprehensive blog post (cant say who because he was banned),  I will also offer my review of the differences of my current setup (TB Earforce DSS) when I get it.

Sep 1, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 17
The e10 looks very nice but as of now I have no use of the 24/96 and may end up using the e7 for an LOD amp, I might get both but I don't know yet. 

Sep 1, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
You should've hold out for the fiio e10(coming soon). It has 24bit/96khz, and a better amp section. I'd say that the e10 is more of a direct competitor for the udac2.

I'll say FiiO D5 is more of a direct competitor of uDAC2. After all, uDAC2 is not really portable.

Sep 20, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 17
The E7/E9 combination is simply awesome for the price. The sound is clear, virtually neutral as far as sonic signature goes and the detail I get from my 580s is allowing me to hear things in my music I've never come across before. This beats the uDAC2/E9 combo very easily because the veil has been lifted from my Sennheisers with this combo.

I also tried the E7 with my Sansa View/HD280s and was shocked at what they did to these HPs. With the bass boost set on 1 this was like a new set of cans. Whenever I travel this is what I will have with me.

Quote:
I"ve got the uDAC2 and the E7 is arriving very soon - I'll report on sonic differences when I do. The one main difference between the two is that you cannot use the uDAC2 without it being powered from the USB of your PC/laptop. In this role it performs very creditably and powered my 300 ohm HPs to good listening levels with the volume under 12 o'clock.

However, when I ran it into the Fiio E9 amp this took my Sennheiser HD580s to a whole new level of listening pleasure. So while it will power the more difficult to drive HPs a separate amp really makes a difference. I suspect that the E7 will be similar though you can take it on the move with you as it has a separate battery and it will also connect to your PC via the USB port. For its versatility this puts the E7 in front but if you're going to use a USB DAC solely with a PC/laptop then the uDAC2 has to be considered.

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 17
E7 IMO, you might want to go for the newer e11 though

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #9 of 17
Sep 21, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
Sorry, typo. meant the e10

Actually you are not that far off. E10's amp section is quite similar to that of E11. You can say E10 is the desktop USB DAC version of E11, with a slightly better DAC section than E7 (same WM8750, but better USB capability for 24/96). If you don't need the high output of E9 or portability of E7, I'll recommend E10 way over the original uDAC (don't have the uDAC2)

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #11 of 17
Hey fellas, just a quick question because I ask this already on another thread but no one replied.. can I use the USB adapter that came with the iPhone to charge the E7 straight to the wall?

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
.. can I use the USB adapter that came with the iPhone to charge the E7 straight to the wall?

Yes, you should be fine.

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #14 of 17
Hey, new to all this, so some help would be appreciated.

I realize the e10 is not out yet, and likely no one has tried it, but....
I'm trying to decide on a desktop DAC/AMP to pair with my Macbook Pro and Grado 225's.

I really like the HiFiMan EF2 from what I read, but am wondering if the new e10 would be better?
Would this newer product with new technology be better (especially for half the price, compared to the EF2)?

Any suggestions are welcome, Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back