Fiio E7 & Galaxy S3 questions for Car Audio
Dec 24, 2012 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

EyeAudio

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

(BTW I tried search & these questions have not been addressed directly)

So I have been on a 2 month search for the BEST sound quality for my Acura Mdx. Just had a serious upgrade to my audio system and it sounds fantastic, so now i need the source audio to sound great as well.

I am heavily invested in Google Music & have some Flac Lossless Audio loaded to my phone. For a while have just been going Aux out from My Galaxy S3 >> Fiio e11 >>Aux in to Car stereo. It sounds pretty great, but when I play a CD, there is no comparison.

I will be using this device ENTIRELY for my Vehicle, no headphones.

From a video I watched, it looks as if the Galaxy S3 will work with the Fiio E7, but I have some questions.

Help me understand the technology here. I know that a digital audio file from the S3's USB port is being sent to the E7 & then it is converting it to analog.

By using a 3.5mm analog cable from the E7 into my AUX in of my car stereo - wouldn't that be degrading the signal the same way as headphones out from my phone? How is this different? Isn't it the same? Is this sending digital signal the same way an iPod is without car dash controls?

(Current Setup) S3 Digital Audio File>>>>S3 Analog Headphone Jack Out>>E11>>Analog Aux in Car Stereo

(Proposed Setup) S3 Digital Audio File>>>>S3 USB Digital Out >>>USB Digital in E7>>Analog out E7>>Analog Aux in Car Stereo

1. I just want the highest quality audio from my Android device to my car speakers, will the e7 accomplish this? Will I be getting the full benefit from the device?

2. Also, can the E7 be charged and played at the same time?

3.Will it charge my S3 and stream audio at the same time?

4. Can i stream Pandora & Google Music or Only music loaded to the phone?

Thanks so much for all your guys help on this.

Dan

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 17
The S3 has a pretty good DAC in it already. It's wolfson, comparable to the DAC in the E7, which is also a Wolfson DAC, just flash the Siyah kernal and you got yourself a good source. The E7 won't be an upgrade, just a side step.

The 3.5 mm won't have anything to do with the audio quality, don't worry, unless you have some really really ****ty cable, which I doubt.

Feeding the E11 into the car's AUX is kinda silly, that's one amp to the Car's speaker amp, I seriously doubt any improvements, more often you may mess up the power out into the speakers. I tried it, I know.

So my suggestion is to save yourself the money, learn how to flash stuff on XDA, and enjoy. If you really really want to improve the audio quality, upgrade the car speakers

I know this because I too had a Galaxy S3 before I switched to the Note II (same DAC for both) and I use the phone as my audio source for my car, before I got my Sony Walkman Z.

And yes you can stream anything you want from your phone, provided you have data plan.

If you have time, go through this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/608535/wolfson-dac-confirmed-for-galaxy-s3/480

Cheeers.

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 17
Thanks for your reply. Yes I am very familiar with flashing on xda. I'm running CM10 on my s3 at the moment. I was also looking at the e17, which seems to be an upgrade over the e7.

I'm also in the US with Tmobile.

I feed the e11 into my stereo to boost the volume, without it I can't get a level match compared to the other sources.

Thing is, you make it sound as if an iPod would sound the same and it doesn't, I know. I bought one, got an Isimple , hooked it direct into my car audio system and the iPod sounds like a CD. I hate having 2 devices, and I have plenty of reasons not to keep it.

But that's what I'm trying to do, replicate the audio quality of an iPod with a line level match. Would the e17 do this?

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 17
The E17 won't work with the S3. I tried

That's why you flashed the Siyah kernel, and I would suggest using Samsung rom because of the kernel support. Samsung has some limit on the power output of the audio, which would solve when flashing a kernel that implements Voodoo. Try that before you buy anything else.

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 17
I'm using a Tmobile US Galaxy S3. From my understanding its an inferior DAC compared to the International version. Thats why id like to try the e7 or e17. Also I only see the Siyah kernel as support for the international version, do u have a link for US compatibility?

The E17 won't work with the S3. I tried
That's why you flashed the Siyah kernel, and I would suggest using Samsung room because of the kernel support. Samsung has some limit on the power output of the audio, which would solve when flashing a kernel that implements Voodoo. Try that before you buy anything else.

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 17
I completely missed the T-mobile part, sorry about that. The US version uses Qualcomm chip instead of Wolfson, but it's comparable.

So yeah the next logical step is to get the E7, then get the line out and feed it to the Car's speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L7-Line-Dock-Cable/dp/B004QVNS0S

Cheers

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 17
I don't have the US version, I have the international version, and the E7 works fine with it.

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #12 of 17
Would the combo of the e7 with the s3 be comparable sound quality to an iPod digitally connected to a car audio system?

Depends on which ipod you're talking about, the old ipod classic (gen 5) has really good DAC (Wolfson), the new ones are not as good. I would reckon the E7 would beat it.

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #13 of 17
I bought an iPod touch 4th gen. So I guess it'll sound better, that's great news.

OK and how about charging and playing?

I'm trying to get the digital audio out through USB from my S3, keep it charged, and keep the E7 charged at the same time while playing.

Is that possible?

Depends on which ipod you're talking about, the old ipod classic (gen 5) has really good DAC (Wolfson), the new ones are not as good. I would reckon the E7 would beat it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back