FiiO E6 - story of the tiny amp continues... (w/ review on 1st page)
Feb 26, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #586 of 611
"BASS EQ: I didn’t much like either EQ setting with any of my headphones or music. EQ1 is relatively muddy and bloated. EQ2 is a bit more restrained but still boosts way more than just the deep bass. Both settings seriously “thicken” male vocals. Some, however, might like the EQ—especially if they have really bass shy headphones—like say those you get for free on airplanes. The E6’s EQ came closest to being useful with my sterile sounding Etymotics but even then, with a lot of music, I couldn’t get past the muddy lower midrange and upper bass."

That second article is excellent, with some great empirical testing.

Well graphs tells us that blue and red settings boost the whole lower range up to the 1.5khz, but anyway, I've yet to see a headphone which won't benefit from EQ (will explain below) and E6 gives bass boost without clipping, so it doesn't make much difference for me if I'am EQing anyway.

PS. Why do I think every HP benefits from EQ?

1. It's next to impossible that it so happens than your HP sound signature PERFECTLY matches your sound preference (you may initially think that it does match, but after EQing or trying another pair you will quickly arrive to different conclusion).
2. We all have different shape/size of ears (different seal=different sound) and we all have somewhat different hearing, so we perceive the sound differently to extent.

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #588 of 611
I'm really curious about this little amp, been looking at it for some time but never got around to buying it. 

Gonna be getting a new pair of headphones in a few days, right now leaning towards the Bose QC25s,Galaxy S4 as my mobile source. From what I gather (and I could be way off here), the fact that the QCs have ANC means they have their own amp/dac system built in.

First, reckon the QCs will benefit at all from this little sucker, second, should the amp be connected through the line out or the micro usb? Can't find it but I read in some thread here that it needs to be connected through the USB to actually work properly.

Mar 17, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #589 of 611
I'm really curious about this little amp, been looking at it for some time but never got around to buying it. 

Gonna be getting a new pair of headphones in a few days, right now leaning towards the Bose QC25s,Galaxy S4 as my mobile source. From what I gather (and I could be way off here), the fact that the QCs have ANC means they have their own amp/dac system built in.

First, reckon the QCs will benefit at all from this little sucker, second, should the amp be connected through the line out or the micro usb? Can't find it but I read in some thread here that it needs to be connected through the USB to actually work properly.

Well the bose QC has the ANC circuit inside one of the earcups to cut the ambient noise and let you hear just the music to our ears, when ANC switch turned ON....this is no DAC nor headphone amplifier built-in to any QC series HPs......This process is called Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) which needs a battery, power the ckt, to cancel the ambient noise,so the name derived as ANC.......

And the S4's audio out (USB/HO) to any headphone AMP cld do the job,incl E6/06......Yes,the usb out will be better than HO of S4 ( any compatible mibile phones).....you need a special usb cable for usb out or a 3.5mm interconnect cable to use with 3.5mm HO from S4.....this interconnect cable is supplied as stock with any HP kit.

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #590 of 611
Well the bose QC has the ANC circuit inside one of the earcups to cut the ambient noise and let you hear just the music to our ears, when ANC switch turned ON....this is no DAC nor headphone amplifier built-in to any QC series HPs......This process is called Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) which needs a battery, power the ckt, to cancel the ambient noise,so the name derived as ANC.......

God, I really need to stop posting **** in the middle of the night, doesn't help clarity. I know what ANC is but I can def see why you thought I didn't based on my post. Anyway, got the answer I was looking for.

And the S4's audio out (USB/HO) to any headphone AMP cld do the job,incl E6/06......Yes,the usb out will be better than HO of S4 ( any compatible mibile phones).....you need a special usb cable for usb out or a 3.5mm interconnect cable to use with 3.5mm HO from S4.....this interconnect cable is supplied as stock with any HP kit.

Aight, thought as much. Damn micro to mini cables are a hassle to get hold of, but oh well.

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #591 of 611
Quick update. I've had a second E06 develop the faulty jack problem, where one audio channel cut out.

I've upgraded to the E11K. Hopefully Fiio used more rugged headphone jacks in this unit.

May 18, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #592 of 611
Sorry I haven't read any of this yet, I just wanted to ask quickly..

I have seen some Fiio E6's called the E06, is the E6 and E06 two different products? Or are they the same thing?

Ta,

Bruce

May 23, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #595 of 611
  Did anyone test the distortion figures at different frequencies with an appropriate resistive load?

Here is a pretty in depth analysis of the E06's performance and measurements.

I found it sounded very pleasant, and it was able to play painfully loud without any discernible distortion.  Of course, our ears (and brains) can easily deceive us during listening tests, so the linked review will give you some hard data and measurements to ponder.

The only reason I gave up the E06 is due to the fragility of the headphone jacks.  I had two units fail for that reason within about 2 months of use each.  I opted for the E11k instead, which is just as fun sounding, if a little brighter up top, and a little tighter down low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back