Fiio E18
Apr 3, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #1,366 of 2,308
Is it me or does changing between the Hi and Lo gains alters the presentation slightly? It does not seem to me that just changing the volume to match lo and hi delivers the same sound. Maybe it is placebo lol

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #1,367 of 2,308
Is it me or does changing between the Hi and Lo gains alters the presentation slightly? It does not seem to me that just changing the volume to match lo and hi delivers the same sound. Maybe it is placebo lol

Polarity! That's what's changing when you switch the gain. Some people are more sensitive to this than others. I'm not the man to ask about it but I have sensed it occasionally. Some albums are mastered with a certain polarity and one particular gain has synergy with that album, irrespective of power output.

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #1,368 of 2,308
Polarity! That's what's changing when you switch the gain. Some people are more sensitive to this than others. I'm not the man to ask about it but I have sensed it occasionally. Some albums are mastered with a certain polarity and one particular gain has synergy with that album, irrespective of power output.

Ah that explains why I prefer it for some songs and not for others instead of one setting fits all.
Thanks!

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #1,373 of 2,308
Double post - quick question, how's the output impedance on this unit? 

I'm assuming it pairs well with sensitive IEMs on low-gain mode?

(The reviews say they pair well, but I'd rather hear it from the pros - you guys!)

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #1,376 of 2,308
Apr 9, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #1,378 of 2,308
I've had no problems with any of my IEMs. Guessing my klipsches are the most sensitive ones, but have a look at my profile and see if you recognize any.

As said, works well with all of them. Also works well with my iDevices. My mind keeps telling me you have one despite you just saying sgs4.

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #1,379 of 2,308
I've had no problems with any of my IEMs. Guessing my klipsches are the most sensitive ones, but have a look at my profile and see if you recognize any.

As said, works well with all of them. Also works well with my iDevices. My mind keeps telling me you have one despite you just saying sgs4.

Thanks mate - that's a big help!

And you would be correct - I'll be using it with my iPod classic in Lineout mode, as well as the SGS4 in DAC mode. 

Thanks! 

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #1,380 of 2,308
Does this make it a pretty good match with sensitive IEMs?

Sensitive IEM usually needs a few things: low hiss, good current, low gain. Low output impedance is important if it is multi-driver IEM. I'll say E18 has all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back