Fiio E18
Mar 1, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #1,201 of 2,308
I picked up the E18 about three weeks ago when it was still available through Amazon. So far I love it. I use it mainly as a portable DAC/AMP for my Note 2 although it works great with the PC too. 

I have the V-Moda M-80s, TDK BA200s, and Sennheiser HD598. The E18 with bass boost really improved the BA200s for me. I love them but they just aren't much fun. The E18's bass boost fixed that for me. The HD598 really came alive with the E18. Everything I have can be driven by the phone alone but the HD598s really seem weak compared to when I am using the E18. I travel a lot so the battery function is a nice plus too. 

Mar 1, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #1,202 of 2,308
 I travel a lot so the battery function is a nice plus too. 

That battery function was the final feature that made me order one 
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #1,203 of 2,308
That battery function was the final feature that made me order one :D

You'll be using them with the p7 right? Let me know how you like them, debating between the p7 and mp50 it's $100 difference but they look so much better...

Anyone notice though that when you use charge function the indicator goes lower than when using it as dac?

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #1,207 of 2,308
What headphones are you guys using with the e18, just curious. I've been using the momentum on ear, se535, grado 60, and Harmon Kardon NC. Looking at the p7, hp50, k545, k551... need top decide on a good closed back over ear headphone

Etymotic HF2  I love the way they sound and for 100 bucks?  Can't beat it as far as i'm concerned.

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #1,208 of 2,308
Comparing the E18 PCM 1798 to the E17 wm8740 dacs, is the 1798 really that much better or is it a sum of all parts that make the E18 an upgrade over the E17?

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #1,209 of 2,308
The headphones in your display pic, didn't realize it was a generic :)

Ahh, yes, just a generic picture I got assigned.  One of these days I will try to setup my own 
wink.gif

Now-a-days when traveling I use the Bose Quiet Comfort 15 (great on planes!), and the Klipsch Image X10.  When I have extra time, I will use my custom IEM triples (SuperFreq's - out of business for many years now).

Mar 2, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #1,210 of 2,308
To be honest my se535 wouldn't be the best to generalize the se535 performance. I've done the brown dampener mod and upgraded to silver adl cables so they out perform otb se535 even the ltd by a long shot. That said with my setup of the se535 and the e18 they are the clearest headphones with the most precise bass I've ever heard. The vocals are excellant, base extremely tight but very veery present (better than my momentums, which I ended up getting rid of) yet not overpowering and the highs are almost on par with my grados which is saying a lot. The only gripe I have and why I'm looking for closed back over ears which seems I will never find, is that putting them on and taking them off is a lot of work, for office or daytime use I get bothered by people quite a bit so need something easier to put on and take off. Overall for in-ear I don't think I could've asked for better, especially since they've been going strong now for almost 4yrs... otb i do remember them being quite bright and fatiguing, but they sound much better now...

TNX

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #1,211 of 2,308
This is a large thread so it is hard to find but is everybody hearing a noise when the bass feature is turned on when connected via USB ?
The gain does not bring it up, only when I switch it the bass on it happens.
The E17 does not show that when I use the bass features on it.
Regards

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #1,212 of 2,308
I just plugged mine in to check. So far I have only used it for a DAC from my phone. I can't even get this to work for my computer. The switch is on PC IN and the the amp is turned on. When the amp is turned on, I see SPDIF Interface FiiO USB DAC-E18 as options for the sound. I have tried testing this device and it doesn't seem to work. 

I don't have enough time to play with it now but if someone has ideas, please let me know. I am suddenly concerned... 

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #1,215 of 2,308
  I picked up the E18 about three weeks ago when it was still available through Amazon. So far I love it. I use it mainly as a portable DAC/AMP for my Note 2 although it works great with the PC too. 

I have the V-Moda M-80s, TDK BA200s, and Sennheiser HD598. The E18 with bass boost really improved the BA200s for me. I love them but they just aren't much fun. The E18's bass boost fixed that for me. The HD598 really came alive with the E18. Everything I have can be driven by the phone alone but the HD598s really seem weak compared to when I am using the E18. I travel a lot so the battery function is a nice plus too. 

How do the m80s sounds?  I have those currently and was thinking of getting the e18 but some had suggested of just getting better headphones.  I have been looking at the m100s (or i will take other suggestions) but though it might be good to get and amp first.  

What do you think?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back