Fiio E18
Oct 9, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #286 of 2,308
With the below specs I would think that they must be loud enough. What is it about the sound that makes you think that they need to be driven harder? Is there something that you feel needs a tweak by EQ?
  • Sensitivity: 118 dB SPL @ 1Mw
  • Impedance: 31 ohms @ 1kHz

I have a pair of Sony XBA-3 BA IEMs which from the below you can see is not as sensitive as the Westones and has an impedance low enough that might get close to challenging some phones or DAPs. Amping them helps a little but they can get along without being amped on my phone. My HD600's are 300 Ohm so the phone just can't get the voltage swing necessary to drive them.
  • Impedance : 12 ohms at 1 kHz
  • Sensitivity (db) : 108 dB/mW
Benefiting from amping and "singing" to me are two different things. They get loud with the F806 alone... but don't sound as full and engaging.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #287 of 2,308
Benefiting from amping and "singing" to me are two different things. They get loud with the F806 alone... but don't sound as full and engaging.

When Sushiglobster said, "I really think my G2 is having some difficulty making them sing," that made me think that either the phone can't drive them or he's looking to alter the sound profile, perhaps by EQ.
Perhaps he can explain better what he meant.

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #288 of 2,308

Well, let me clarify here. Yes, my IEMs do get pretty loud. However they don't sound so full or engaging.  

When Sushiglobster said, "I really think my G2 is having some difficulty making them sing," that made me think that either the phone can't drive them or he's looking to alter the sound profile, perhaps by EQ.
Perhaps he can explain better what he meant.

I don't have the technical specs on my phone's audio output capabilities. However, I do think my phone is struggling to drive my IEMs. I say this because I have to crank them near max volume to achieve a more enjoyable listening experience. At the same time though the volume is quite loud and fatiguing. This is what makes me think an amplifier is needed. Loud Volume and Drive I think are two different things. Perhaps I'm wrong in my thinking? 

What I'm going to do in a few minutes, is plug my IEMs into my DENON AVR (Model: X4000) I need to see if there is large notable difference in Drive. My AVR should be more than capable of driving my Westone W4R IEMs.

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #289 of 2,308
   Perhaps I'm wrong in my thinking?

You are not wrong in your thinking. The 4R definitely benefits from amping...

Like I said, I have the 4R paired with the E12 via LOD out of my F806. Lovin it...
cool.gif

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #290 of 2,308
  sorry, there are some very small bugs so we need to fix the bugs first ( something relate to charge feature ) but it should launch market in the coming soon.

I read this yesterday and wanted to respond, but I was in an area which apparently lacked T-Mobile coverage.

Now that others have responded, I'll echo the sentiment which was fresh the day before:  Delay your release if necessary, James, and don't worry about it.  Quality control is important.

The same impatience which provokes people to post that they're losing interest in the release of a product will make them lose interest in the product entirely (and the company that makes it) if the released is premature.

* * * *​

One reason that development of the E19 might have halted is because of new developments in portable audio.  Certain new Android smartphones advertise 24-bit 192k playback (the Note III, the G2, etc.), which means that the external DACs we buy will have to be at least as high-resolution as the DACs in our smartphones. 

Obviously, a new generation of devices is here and, with it, a new generation of portable DAC/Amps.  A fair number of current DACs already boast features such as DSD playback. 

Perhaps the people at Fiio are thinking about that and planning their next products accordingly.

Oct 10, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #291 of 2,308
  One reason that development of the E19 might have halted is because of new developments in portable audio.  Certain new Android smartphones advertise 24-bit 192k playback (the Note III, the G2, etc.), which means that the external DACs we buy will have to be at least as high-resolution as the DACs in our smartphones. 

Obviously, a new generation of devices is here and, with it, a new generation of portable DAC/Amps.  A fair number of current DACs already boast features such as DSD playback. 

Perhaps the people at Fiio are thinking about that and planning their next products accordingly.

I'm glad to read the above. The direction by smartphone manufacturers' are going in the right direction in regards to high fidelity sound.Whether this is for spec up-manship so they stand out among the crowded market, or genuine improvement in features, I can't really say. But it's good for those who are looking for quality sound. People are willing to pay for high quality screens incorporated in smartphones and that's now reached a high enough standard that makes it hard to back. Within a few years, high quality audio will be a standard feature - I'm hoping.

Steve

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #292 of 2,308

Well, let me clarify here. Yes, my IEMs do get pretty loud. However they don't sound so full or engaging.  

I don't have the technical specs on my phone's audio output capabilities. However, I do think my phone is struggling to drive my IEMs. I say this because I have to crank them near max volume to achieve a more enjoyable listening experience. At the same time though the volume is quite loud and fatiguing. This is what makes me think an amplifier is needed. Loud Volume and Drive I think are two different things. Perhaps I'm wrong in my thinking? 

What I'm going to do in a few minutes, is plug my IEMs into my DENON AVR (Model: X4000) I need to see if there is large notable difference in Drive. My AVR should be more than capable of driving my Westone W4R IEMs.

The impedance and sensitivity specs of your Westone's look like they are ideal for being driven by phones and portable devices. You shouldn't have to crank them, but then again you said that they were loud and fatiguing. By fatiguing do you mean too much treble, resonant peaks (silibants)?
Try your Westones on another cellphone or DAP. Read some reviews of your IEM, perhaps the information you need is there. Does you phone work well with other cans or IEMs? Maybe one or both of them (IEM or phone) are defective 
frown.gif

Good luck and let us know how this works out.

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #293 of 2,308
Oct 12, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #295 of 2,308
Greatly appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

You're welcome, Ashade!

BTW:  ClieOS also started a thread on head-fi in which he reposted his review.  He published larger versions of the photos than I did, so you might want to have a look (and also give his thread some support):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/685414/preview-fiio-e18-kunlun-surprise-surprise

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #296 of 2,308
Hi to evereybody!
I'm new here, but I read this forum very often.

I love listen music in "portable" way, so I'm looking for info about a dac to be connected to an Android device.
In about a month my wife must to replace her Galaxy S with a new smartphone so my idea is to use it as a portable player, without the phone section.
The phone mounts already the rom cyanogenmod (the last 10.1.3 with 4.2.x Android version).
I am very interested in the products Fiio: Models E17 and E18 seem to really do for me.

What I don't understand is: under what conditions the dac is recognized by Android? Is enough a recent version of Android or is otherwise necessary to modify the kernel (or something else)?

Another thing I do not understand is if you need a special player to be able to use the DAC?

In the preview posted above I read:
"On Android, you might not get the full 24/96 but limited to 16/44.1 depends on what your Android can support."
Can someone explain me better this point? With the Galaxy S and cyano I would be able to take full power of the E18? How?
And this is possible also for the E17 or not? I read that the E17 model requires more battery energy...

I know that here in the forum there are many post about this, but I've not found the answers for my question.

Ah, by the way: still no debut day for the E18?

Many thanks!

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #298 of 2,308
James, can you guys please make an angled miscro usb cable to use with the Sony Walkman LOD port. I would love to use my Sony F806 with the E18's DAC...

Oct 13, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #299 of 2,308
  James, can you guys please make an angled miscro usb cable to use with the Sony Walkman LOD port. I would love to use my Sony F806 with the E18's DAC...

That request seems a tad specific, don't you think?  One problem with Fiio's making a short angled cable is that it might only work with a few specific devices, which wouldn't be especially profitable for them unless such devices were popular to the point of being ubiquitous.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you'll see what I mean:

http://www.sys-concept.com/U-toslink_miniplug.html

Oct 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #300 of 2,308
I think right angled micro USB otg cables would be awesome if it was included

Users who are viewing this thread

Back