Fiio E17 a good choice for K501/Marantz amp?
Apr 11, 2012 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tmcevoy213

New Head-Fier
So my ears have been letting me know that it's time to upgrade my listening setup. Currently that setup is: Macbook lossless files -> Marantz 2238B -> AKG K501. Sometimes I listen through my Dynaco A-25s, and sometimes I listen away from the receiver, in which case I plug the K501s directly into my MacBook (I know that can't be optimal..)

I considered upgrading headphones, but then realized that a DAC is probably the best addition at this point. I have a modest budget (<=$200), and after some research the Fiio E17 stands out. It seems to be a good fit, as it can serve as DAC at my receiver station, and DAC/amp in my away-from-receiver setup. I also looked at HRT MS-ii and HUD-mx1, among others. Any thoughts, recommendations, caveats, etc before I pull the trigger? I have a slow upgrade schedule, but I want this purchase to be of high enough quality that it isn't the next thing I have to upgrade. Will I get a more lasting piece at a slightly higher price point? Thanks for all feedback!

Apr 11, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 4
With some bass boost applied, I think the E17 with the K501 would sound very nice (my only complaint about the K501 is the light bass response). If you're looking for highest fidelity at that price point and don't need portability, a used Audio-gd NFB12 or Sparrow would be better than the E17. I have owned all devices mentioned.

Apr 14, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
With some bass boost applied, I think the E17 with the K501 would sound very nice (my only complaint about the K501 is the light bass response). If you're looking for highest fidelity at that price point and don't need portability, a used Audio-gd NFB12 or Sparrow would be better than the E17. I have owned all devices mentioned.

What would you suggest based on the DAC alone? Would it be a waste to go with these options if you've already got an amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back