FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
Feb 21, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #1,996 of 2,388
Nothing seems to work.

When i plug my iem in, but not all the way, holding it at a point where it is halfway in, I can listen to both L/R. When its all the way in, its only R. How to fix this?

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #1,997 of 2,388
  Nothing seems to work.

When i plug my iem in, but not all the way, holding it at a point where it is halfway in, I can listen to both L/R. When its all the way in, its only R. How to fix this

If you are handy with electronics and has a multimeter, I'll suggest feeding a test tone into your E12DIY and measure the 3.5mm socket soldering pad directly. There might be a chance that it is just the 3.5mm's contact pins in the headphone jack is loose. Or you can contact FiiO and see if they are willing to fix it at cost.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #1,998 of 2,388
Finnaly I open the enclosure of E12A. I know perhaps wrong thread, but I think it almost the same. 

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #1,999 of 2,388
How could
Finnaly I open the enclosure of E12A. I know perhaps wrong thread, but I think it almost the same. 

How could you open it without breaking the bass boost switch?

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #2,000 of 2,388
How could
How could you open it without breaking the bass boost switch?

Haha, almost frustrated to find out how it could, apparently so easy by pulled the bass boost knob out, gouged by flat tip screw drive 
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #2,001 of 2,388
After going through almost every combo of opamps and buffers that came with my E12DIY, I AM SOLD ON THE OPA604 /LME49600 combo. I am using Hifiman 560 headphones and Psb M4U2 sealed headphones.

While there were combos that were good, this one is best. Smoooooth, open and airy without a hint of edginess.
I have been listening for a week straight and I still have no desire to experiment any further.

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #2,002 of 2,388
I'm trying to shape the sound of my e12 on one of my headphones, an old sennheiser hd565.
The headphones, sounds pretty bright, with a tendency to sound a bit harsh and aggressive.
The midrange is rather dry, and the bass is extended but light and slightly back.
I'm currently using the combo OPA1611 + LME49600.
I'd like to warm up a bit the sound of these sennheiser, preserving the openness and transparency at the top.
I need a sounds open and airy but as much as possible smooth and free of bitterness.
What do you recommend me to try?

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #2,004 of 2,388

I'd like to warm up a bit the sound of these sennheiser, preserving the openness and transparency at the top.
I need a sounds open and airy but as much as possible smooth and free of bitterness.

That's a tall order, as warmth always cuts into openness / transparency.

If you really want silky smoothness and warmth, OPA627 is the obvious choice. MUSES01 will also make my list as well. MUSES02 isn't as warm as OPA627 or MUSES01, but it probably has better balance between warmth and transparency that you are looking for.

As said, there are a lot of fake MUSES out there so be careful where you get yours.

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #2,007 of 2,388

So, i have to deduce that OPA627 sounds somewhat "veiled"?

Thanks to all!

Relatively speaking and compared to something brighter, more analytical and transparent, say NE5322 / NJM5322 or OPA827, then yes.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #2,008 of 2,388
Hello all - I'm just hearing about this DIY project but was considering if tube amps are better for me, so you can consider me a skeptic at this point. That would be excellent if some of you can answer a few of my questions. And if it's already been answered that's OK to just post a link to the page of the answer.

1. Is this DIY unit prone to breaking easily? I mean changing the parts on a semi-frequent basis, does that drastically increase the likelyhood that the whole unit will go kaput? (basing this on if I'm careful)
  2. Approx. how would you compare this to a tube amp? I know that's probably opening up a larger question, but below are my sound preferences
  3. Specifically about how would you compare this to a tube amp, in terms of clarity, punchyness, sound stage, etc.?

After testing several amps at a head-fi meeting I discovered I seem to like tube amps, or even solid state / tube amp hybrids the best so I'm basically wondering if I should still go with this E12 DIY or not. The other amps I'm considering are Schiit Vali and Little Dot MK3 / MK4.
(I prefer a fairly flat sound signature that is punchy/dynamic, slightly warm and highs that are detailed yet not harsh)

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #2,009 of 2,388
This combination has not been discussed much, but I find the combination of OPA627 + LME49600 to be just great. Well worth a listen.

I find it to be on par with MUSES02 and MUSES01, but all in combination with the LME49600.

These really euphonic and musical chips have a special synergy with the leaner, more open LME49600.

All different, but all really great.

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #2,010 of 2,388
Hello all - I'm just hearing about this DIY project but was considering if tube amps are better for me, so you can consider me a skeptic at this point. That would be excellent if some of you can answer a few of my questions. And if it's already been answered that's OK to just post a link to the page of the answer.

• Is this DIY unit prone to breaking easily? I mean changing the parts on a semi-frequent basis, does that drastically increase the linkelyhood that the whole unit will go kaput? (basing this on if I'm careful)
  • Approx. how would you compare this to a tube amp? I know that's probably opening up a larger question, but below are my sound preferences
  • Specifically about how would you compare this to a tube amp, in terms of clarity, punchyness, sound stage, etc.?

After testing several amps at a head-fi meeting I discovered I seem to like tube amps, or even solid state / tube amp hybrids the best so I'm basically wondering if I should still go with this E12 DIY or not. The other amps I'm considering are Schiit Vali and Little Dot MK3 / MK4.
(I prefer a fairly flat sound signature that is punchy/dynamic, slightly warm and highs that are detailed yet not harsh)

LOL...I predict you will end up with both sooner or later.

If you are looking for a portable amp, the E12DIY is a fantastic choice. It's even great as an all-arounder, for portable and home use.

But if you like tubes and are looking for a home system, by all means, pursue tubes first.

Both the E12DIY and a good tube amp can be very musical. Well excecuted tubes do offer a sense of organic fluidity that's very difficult for solid state to approach, however. If you've ever heard a good single-ended triode amp (like 300B or 2A3) driving horn speakers or high efficiency full-range single driver speakers (like Lowther or Altec), you know how addictive this sound signature can be.

But you do have to play around a lot with tubes. System matching is key. And you have a whole world of tube rolling to explore. Often the stock tubes you receive really mask the true potential of a tube amp.

If you want to start with tubes on a budget, the Schiit Vali is great. It's a hybrid that has a good dose of that tube magic, and it pairs well with a wide range of cans. I've had great success with mine and am currently using it in my bedside system.

The Darkvoice SE336 is also a good amp, but on the thick and dark side. Tube rolling is indicated here, and also very careful system matching. Maybe too much work for a first tube amp.

I've heard great things about the Bottlehead Crack and Prject Ember amps, but haven't had a chance to build either of mine, yet, so can't say from experience. But these are both worth looking into.

I also just received a Little Dot MkIII. It sounds good, has that tube lushness and warmth, but far too early for me to make an assessment . This seems to be a widely loved amp, however.

I also have used a tube based Berning Micro ZOTL for years, and that has been nice, too. Sort of an early hybrid design. Apparently, they are re-releasing it in the near future.

Yeah, if tubes is what you want, go for it. There are a lot of great choices these days. They all sound a bit different, so I recommend looking into the go-to tube amps, research them, and go for the one that seems right to you.

I bet you'll still pick up the E12DIY at some point (if they're still available) for portable listening.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back