FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
Jun 29, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #1,351 of 2,388
How did you come to that number? crap that's way expensive.

Mouser's Australian site charges $100 for the chips themselves and then shipping is $36 or something equally as exorbitant. Unless I'm remembering inaccurately.. I'll go check again.

Edit: $139.68 for a single MUSES02 - it seems I have to spend $200 before I can get free shipping

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #1,352 of 2,388
Mouser's Australian site charges $100 for the chips themselves and then shipping is $36 or something equally as exorbitant. Unless I'm remembering inaccurately.. I'll go check again.

No need, you're spot on. That's why I took one look & went 'Nup'. Not paying prices like that, amp sounds perfectly fine with supplied components, not interested in paying that kind of money for minor incremental (and even that's a maybe) changes to sound.

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #1,353 of 2,388

What do you prefer about it to the MUSES02? The MUSES02 will cost me $136 shipped from Mouser so I'd much prefer the 627s if they suit my tastes!

Digikey is cheaper at around $75.  Here in Japan they are about $35 but by the time you pay shipping and the Tenso service it is about the same cost.   Probably just as easy to get from Digikey.

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #1,354 of 2,388

Edit: $139.68 for a single MUSES02 - it seems I have to spend $200 before I can get free shipping

Australia has absolutely disgusting import prices. I have a friend living there and it's nuts. I'm sorry for you man.

No need, you're spot on. That's why I took one look & went 'Nup'. Not paying prices like that, amp sounds perfectly fine with supplied components, not interested in paying that kind of money for minor incremental (and even that's a maybe) changes to sound.

Agreed. The muse 02 is worth some money, but not $135 money.

Jun 29, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #1,357 of 2,388
  Brown Dog has this for about $60 but it won't fit in the E12DIY.  You need to solder your own on the dual mount blank adapters in the kit.

http://cimarrontechnology.com/single-to-dualop-ampadapterpn020302.aspx

Yes, I know. I have one more dual adapter in the Fiio kit I think.

Jun 29, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #1,359 of 2,388
  Wonder if you can buy more of them from Fiio.  I fouled one of mine up and lifted a trace on it trying to reposition one of the chips.   I only have one left as well.  Sure would like to buy a couple more blanks or trade.

+1 to getting more somehow!

Jun 29, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #1,362 of 2,388
Yes, you can buy the blank adapter from them. I don't know the price though.

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #1,363 of 2,388
What do you prefer about it to the MUSES02? The MUSES02 will cost me $136 shipped from Mouser so I'd much prefer the 627s if they suit my tastes!

Both are very good, but they offer different things.

I find MUSES02 is more intimate and warm. Very musical and lush. Seduces you with the sound. But can seem slightly closed in. Bass impact and tightness could be better. I don't feel bass lines are as propulsive as they could be. More of a focus on tones and textures rather than rhythm and pace. But a lovely sound. Sometimes I feel the weakness in bass and rhythm hinders my enjoyment of the music on certain tracks. But overall one of the best chips I've tried.

OPA627, on the other hand takes a step back, perspective-wise. OPA 627 sounds more open and spacious. It just as musically engaging but not as lush. It is still, however, on the slightly warm side. Bass is there with good pace and quantity. Really drives the music rhythmically. And bass dynamics are very good. I was sometimes surprised when a sudden percussion hit came up. Balance of sound is good, and music has a certain "rightness" to it. Perhaps a better all arounder than the MUSES02.

At least that's how it sounds to me.

IMO, they are on par with each other In terms of SQ. When I swapped from OPA627 to MUSES02 for the first time, I was expecting to be totally blown away. I wasn't. I found that it was more of a sidegrade instead of an upgrade or downgrade. I feel that they are on the same tier with each other as far as musical perfomance.

I know MUSES can be very expensive to acquire for a lot of folks. My advice is if you want to try a chip on the same level of the MUSES but don't want to shell out the big bucks right away, try the OPA627. It's a great chip in its own right and should be on top of your upgrade list.

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #1,364 of 2,388
Both are very good, but they offer different things.

I find MUSES02 is more intimate and warm. Very musical and lush. Seduces you with the sound. But can seem slightly closed in. Bass impact and tightness could be better. I don't feel bass lines are as propulsive as they could be. More of a focus on tones and textures rather than rhythm and pace. But a lovely sound. Sometimes I feel the weakness in bass and rhythm hinders my enjoyment of the music on certain tracks. But overall one of the best chips I've tried.

OPA627, on the other hand takes a step back, perspective-wise. OPA 627 sounds more open and spacious. It just as musically engaging but not as lush. It is still, however, on the slightly warm side. Bass is there with good pace and quantity. Really drives the music rhythmically. And bass dynamics are very good. I was sometimes surprised when a sudden percussion hit came up. Balance of sound is good, and music has a certain "rightness" to it. Perhaps a better all arounder than the MUSES02.

At least that's how it sounds to me.

IMO, they are on par with each other In terms of SQ. When I swapped from OPA627 to MUSES02 for the first time, I was expecting to be totally blown away. I wasn't. I found that it was more of a sidegrade instead of an upgrade or downgrade. I feel that they are on the same tier with each other as far as musical perfomance.

I know MUSES can be very expensive to acquire for a lot of folks. My advice is if you want to try a chip on the same level of the MUSES but don't want to shell out the big bucks right away, try the OPA627. It's a great chip in its own right and should be on top of your upgrade list.

I have the same feeling as well. 

Even comparing both with MUSES01 I would say its a sidegrade. I don't know how it would sound on thousand dollar system, but I can clearly say on the E12DIY they sound pretty much the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back