FiiO E11 VS FiiO A1? (for those who own/owned either)
Jul 9, 2016 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

scruppynuppers

New Head-Fier
Still new here, long time lurker!

So, I just purchased the FiiO A1 as I'm finally starting my quest to find my sound after owning a pair of Monoprice 8323's for the longest. (I have nothing better to spend money on at this time lol)
I got that with a pair of Superlux HD661's and I've been looking up cheap amps but I'm reading some pretty conflicting things, some say that an amp isn't even needed sometimes.
So it got me thinking, should I have even purchased a FiiO A1, would an E11 have been better? (Still on a budget though!)

Anyone care to chime in on this?

Thanks!
beyersmile.png

Jul 9, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 21
FiiO A3 is the newer version of the former FiiO E11.

FiiO A3 is more powerful and overall a better amplifier than FiiO A1, although both sound very well.
Some headphones are harder to drive and thus the A3 might be a better pick.
Your headphones are not that hard to drive so FiiO A1 should work just fine.

Jul 9, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 21
  Still new here, long time lurker!

So, I just purchased the FiiO A1 as I'm finally starting my quest to find my sound after owning a pair of Monoprice 8323's for the longest. (I have nothing better to spend money on at this time lol)
I got that with a pair of Superlux HD661's and I've been looking up cheap amps but I'm reading some pretty conflicting things, some say that an amp isn't even needed sometimes.
So it got me thinking, should I have even purchased a FiiO A1, would an E11 have been better? (Still on a budget though!)

Anyone care to chime in on this?

Thanks!
beyersmile.png

I own the E6 (older version of the A1) and two of E11 models (older version of the A3 (E11K)).
The E6 is decent, but i think it's just better to spend the extra and get the A3.
E6 to me just does not offer much more then a headphone amp built into a decent mp3 player or smartphone.

Jul 10, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 21
  FiiO A3 is the newer version of the former FiiO E11.

FiiO A3 is more powerful and overall a better amplifier than FiiO A1, although both sound very well.
Some headphones are harder to drive and thus the A3 might be a better pick.
Your headphones are not that hard to drive so FiiO A1 should work just fine.

What do you mean by the term "drive"?
I am just getting into all of this, so I'm still learning quite a lot.
I figured purchasing the A1 would have been an amateur move on my part honestly, but if you think it'll work for now then awesome!

L3000.gif

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 21

What do you mean by the term "drive"?
I am just getting into all of this, so I'm still learning quite a lot.
I figured purchasing the A1 would have been an amateur move on my part honestly, but if you think it'll work for now then awesome!

L3000.gif

If the A1 works for you, that's great.

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 21
Some headphones require more power than others to reach the same volume, and thus need a more powerful headphone amp.

Thanks for the quick response, and how can I learn more about this? Like what should I search for and such?
Because I am reading about these headphones "BeyerDynamic DT 770 PRO 250 Ohms" people are saying they're good for the price, but what the difference the ohms make? (80 VS 250)
Does that have to do with the necessity of a more powerful amp? (sorry for all the questions lol)

Thanks again!
o2smile.gif

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 21

If the A1 works for you, that's great.

I mean yeah, for now.
The only newest headset I'm adding to my collection so far is going to be the ones I've mentioned.
I MIGHT add more depending on how I save and such, this is quite an interesting (but expensive) quest.
So I feel the A1 will do just fine for now.

Thank you for your input!
beyersmile.png

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 21
Yes. Higher impedance can make headphones more difficult to drive. But it's not just the impedance, but the rest of the headphone design as well.

So how difficult a headphone is to drive is understood by analyzing it's impedance and sensitivity specs.

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 21
Yes. Higher impedance can make headphones more difficult to drive. But it's not just the impedance, but the rest of the headphone design as well.

So how difficult a headphone is to drive is understood by analyzing it's impedance and sensitivity specs.

And how do I go about judging these factors and such and gaining such knowledge?
Like say the difference between NVX® Perfect10 Studio Over-Ear VS the one's I said.
How would you know which is harder to drive?

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #11 of 21
  Thanks for the quick response, and how can I learn more about this? Like what should I search for and such?
Because I am reading about these headphones "BeyerDynamic DT 770 PRO 250 Ohms" people are saying they're good for the price, but what the difference the ohms make? (80 VS 250)
Does that have to do with the necessity of a more powerful amp? (sorry for all the questions lol)
Thanks again!
o2smile.gif

The DT770 Pro 80-Ohm is slightly more bassy, then the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm.

Check out the 32-Ohm Soundmagic HP150 closed headphones, easier to drive then the DT770.

Jul 11, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 21
  The DT770 Pro 80-Ohm is slightly more bassy, then the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm.

Check out the 32-Ohm Soundmagic HP150 closed headphones, easier to drive then the DT770.

Now, for that price (on Amazon it's listed for $130 for me), would it be easier to find something better that also drives with ease?
Say I do make the purchase of the FiiO E11, what would the circumstances be then, would it be able to drive the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm and 250-Ohm?

Jul 11, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 21
  Now, for that price (on Amazon it's listed for $130 for me), would it be easier to find something better that also drives with ease?
Say I do make the purchase of the FiiO E11, what would the circumstances be then, would it be able to drive the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm and 250-Ohm?

The FiiO A3 (E11K) can easily drive the DT770 (80-Ohm/250-Ohm).

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 21

The FiiO A3 (E11K) can easily drive the DT770 (80-Ohm/250-Ohm).

Now with the A3, is it viable for other set of cans as well? (would it last a while in terms of usability)
And would there be a difference with this amp vs the A1 for the headphones I recently purchased (Superlux HD661)?
Cause if so I might just have to send the A1 back and get the A3 lol

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #15 of 21
  Now with the A3, is it viable for other set of cans as well? (would it last a while in terms of usability)
And would there be a difference with this amp vs the A1 for the headphones I recently purchased (Superlux HD661)?
Cause if so I might just have to send the A1 back and get the A3 lol

For the Superlux HD661, can't see spending more on an amplifier then what the FiiO A1 costs.
For a long term investment for use with headphone you might buy in the future, I think the A3 is a good investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back