FiiO E11 & E11K & A3 Information + Support
May 22, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #393 of 1,271

Quote:
We need to start paying ClieOS some type of fee for having to answer 26 pages worth of questions :wink:

It's a dirty job but someone's got to do it
wink.gif

May 22, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #394 of 1,271
After many months at the bottom of a drawer, I resurrected my T3 yesterday courtesy of a $20 universal AC adapter. I largely abandoned the little guy the day I bought the D4, and that was a mistake. I agree that its darker - appreciably more so than the D4 or P4 - but what blows me away is the bass response for such a tiny amp. I literally cannot wait for my RE262s to get here - will pass on the E11 based on ClieOS' later impressions. I had 'cold and detailed' with the RE0 and it just wasnt for me, but I do agree that for $60 anything which is on the same level as the T3 is an achievement.

May 22, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #395 of 1,271

Quote:
Given that I only use full sized headphones, IEMs are not a good reference. And not being able to use it while charging is another thing I dislike. So far, the battery charge and the charging thing are two things that might be a dealbreaker. I might end up just getting the E9 and be done with it. The current battery charge just isn't enough for me, and I'm willing to sacrifice somewhat of an improvement over PA2V2 SQ for a much longer lasting battery and a pleasant sound as well.

BTW, does E11 have a SNR of 98dB or is it higher? The specs seem to be unclear on that.

It is not just size of the transducer, but also impedance and sensitivity. A 12ohm IEM can be more demanding current wise than a 64 ohm full sized; a 95dB will need a lot more volume than a 106dB. But for what it worths, unless we are talking about >150ohm and <98dB or <12ohm, I really doubt the battery life will be very by much. I never listen to PA2V2 before so I can't really tell you if teh SQ improvement will worth over the battery life or not.

SNR is listed as equal or better than 98dB. I am not sure how correct it is since I don't have anything to measure it,.

Quote:
We need to start paying ClieOS some type of fee for having to answer 26 pages worth of questions :wink:

That'll be nice
biggrin.gif

Quote:
After many months at the bottom of a drawer, I resurrected my T3 yesterday courtesy of a $20 universal AC adapter. I largely abandoned the little guy the day I bought the D4, and that was a mistake. I agree that its darker - appreciably more so than the D4 or P4 - but what blows me away is the bass response for such a tiny amp. I literally cannot wait for my RE262s to get here - will pass on the E11 based on ClieOS' later impressions. I had 'cold and detailed' with the RE0 and it just wasnt for me, but I do agree that for $60 anything which is on the same level as the T3 is an achievement.

RE262 and T3 should be a good match. Enjoy.

Quote:
I see. Would the M50 or the Ultrasone 580/2200 be worth amping tho? Would the E11 make any difference besides the added bass boost?

Don't know about the Ultrasone but what even brief time I have with the M50 left mew me the impression that it really isn't a very difficult headphone to drive. Then again, it is really just a very brief audition. If you get yourself a decent LOD for your Fuze, you should also notice a widening of soundstage as well as a small improvement on resolution.

May 22, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #396 of 1,271

Quote:
It is not just size of the transducer, but also impedance and sensitivity. A 12ohm IEM can be more demanding current wise than a 64 ohm full sized; a 95dB will need a lot more volume than a 106dB. But for what it worths, unless we are talking about >150ohm and <98dB or <12ohm, I really doubt the battery life will be very by much. I never listen to PA2V2 before so I can't really tell you if teh SQ improvement will worth over the battery life or not.

SNR is listed as equal or better than 98dB. I am not sure how correct it is since I don't have anything to measure it,.

Thanks for the clarification. Any gear that I would use would be relatively easy to drive, and that is actually one thing that leaves me wondering if the low power mode would work just as well, SQ wise, but extending the battery life.

I wouldn't be so divided if the price wasn't so attractive
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #397 of 1,271
Thanks for the insight! Ok I got one more question for you. Since I am an EE major and have just started my summer break I wanted to build an CMoy tangentsoft version. Maybe not so much for improving the SQ or anything or saving money but just for a small project in my free time to gain some hands-on experience, or to be able to say I did it etc.
My question is, what op amp i should use and (even if it is an absurd comparision), what is that DIY CMoy compared to the E11? Since, like you said, the M50 is not difficult to drive and the fact that I just want some additional bass boost, makes me wonder if the E11 would totally trash the CMoy in every aspect incl. the bass boost aspect?

Thank you :D

May 22, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #398 of 1,271
Dual1ty,
the E11 is a ground buffered design. Three channel topology where (according to sources) The ground channel is powered by the OPA690, and the Left and Right channels are powered by the AD8397. that gives better slew rate. the CMoy on the other hand is not based on a three channel topology, so i really dont think that it would compete with the E11. another variant of the CMoy, the Cmoy2, found on sgheadphones, is ground buffered, and "Can" compete solely on SQ. another diy amp u could try is the Mini^3, running on the same AD8397 and the OPA690, which i am also building right now, and that can, in my opinion, a competent amp for the E11.

Edit: for more questions, i guess u should open a new thread, not hacking this one dedicated to the E11.

May 22, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #399 of 1,271
Quote:
Thanks for the insight! Ok I got one more question for you. Since I am an EE major and have just started my summer break I wanted to build an CMoy tangentsoft version. Maybe not so much for improving the SQ or anything or saving money but just for a small project in my free time to gain some hands-on experience, or to be able to say I did it etc.
My question is, what op amp i should use and (even if it is an absurd comparision), what is that DIY CMoy compared to the E11? Since, like you said, the M50 is not difficult to drive and the fact that I just want some additional bass boost, makes me wonder if the E11 would totally trash the CMoy in every aspect incl. the bass boost aspect?

Thank you :D

The best cmoy variants I have ever heard is the cmoyBB. JDS also sell empty PCB that you can build it with your own parts selection. I think you should get all of the classic selection of opamp (OPA2134, OPA2227, etc) to try if you can. Personally, I'll stick an AD8620 in my cmoy. There are a lot of old discussion thread in the DIY forum regarding opamp choice in cmoy and you should search them out.

Quote:
Dual1ty,
the E11 is a ground buffered design. Three channel topology where (according to sources) The ground channel is powered by the OPA690, and the Left and Right channels are powered by the AD8397. that gives better slew rate. the CMoy on the other hand is not based on a three channel topology, so i really dont think that it would compete with the E11. another variant of the CMoy, the Cmoy2, found on sgheadphones, is ground buffered, and "Can" compete solely on SQ. another diy amp u could try is the Mini^3, running on the same AD8397 and the OPA690, which i am also building right now, and that can, in my opinion, a competent amp for the E11.

Edit: for more questions, i guess u should open a new thread, not hacking this one dedicated to the E11.

IIRC, cmoy2 is triple buffered. Not just ground, but the right and left channels are also self buffered.

May 22, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #400 of 1,271

Quote:
Micca shipped mine today

GTFO!  What?  It looks like I might need to take a sick day on Monday or Tuesday - feel a little soreness in my throat.  I guess it's either that, or wait to until the mail arrives, take my package and head into work.

What method of shipping did they use?  USPS, FedEx or UPS?

Thanks - and congratulations to you !!  
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #401 of 1,271
usps, 2-3 day option.  Hoping for tuesday, shame really because I wanted next day but they didn't give me that option, i could have had it tomorrow.  I have no idea where they are located, but if they are east coast there is a chance I will receive it tomorrow.  I missed the first batch preorder and was really upset, so I made sure I wouldn't miss this one heh :)

I have an awesome custom sansa fuze lod waiting and ready to go...im really exited to see how the 9wave and the Skybeyers fair via the e11, maybe I can help take the load off poor ClieOS here having to deal with so many questions heh

*sits in front of door waiting for mailman   

May 22, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #402 of 1,271

Quote:
I have no idea where they are located, but if they are east coast there is a chance I will receive it tomorrow.

They're actually located in Fairfax, VA - about 25 miles west of Washington, DC.  USPS isn't so bad.  I sent a pair of Grados out on a Friday from Virginia via Priority mail and they arrived in California to the recipient on a Monday.  Not bad, considering I spent about $18.00 on postage, insurance, delivery confirmation, etc.  Had I chosen FedEx or UPS and one of their "next-day" delivery options, I would have easily paid double the shipping amount and the item would have still arrived on Monday.

May 22, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #405 of 1,271

Quote:

Jack, Thanks for your updates.  It's nice to know you're affiliated with Micca.  However, I have a quick question.  Why doesn't your company offer pick-ups for people in the Northern Virginia area?  That would be an awesome option.  The other "Authorized" distributor, which is located out by Dulles Airport offers pick-ups during their business hours.  In fact, I was almost going to go with them for my E9/E7 combo as they were great to talk with.  They also offered me the option of some free FiiO LODs if I purchased through them.  Believe me, I'm not unhappy with Micca Store.  I'm glad for what you offer.  However, a local pick-up option would be great since I work in Merrifield.

Thanks - and, have a great day.  
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back