Fiio E10 Connection Question - 3.5mm Stereo Line out or Coaxial Out?
Aug 10, 2012 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

The Fed

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all I am just trying to get a definitive answer here. I did a pretty exhaustive search and did not find what I was looking for.

I have a Fiio E10 pulling DAC duty on my laptop, I am about to get a small footprint desktop amp to run my planar headphones off of and I am a bit befuddled about the "coaxial out" on the back of the Fiio

I am sure I can use 3.5mm mini to dual RCA to connect to the desktop but am wondering what the coaxial out is for and if there is a sonic benefit to using it.
Somewhere I saw the coaxial output listed as 'Stereo PCM' and I am unclear on whether this means that it only supports wav format or if it is a higher resolution output.

Does anyone know what the coaxial output on the E10 offers and if it is a better option to connect a desktop amp?

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Hey all I am just trying to get a definitive answer here. I did a pretty exhaustive search and did not find what I was looking for.

I have a Fiio E10 pulling DAC duty on my laptop, I am about to get a small footprint desktop amp to run my planar headphones off of and I am a bit befuddled about the "coaxial out" on the back of the Fiio

I am sure I can use 3.5mm mini to dual RCA to connect to the desktop but am wondering what the coaxial out is for and if there is a sonic benefit to using it.
Somewhere I saw the coaxial output listed as 'Stereo PCM' and I am unclear on whether this means that it only supports wav format or if it is a higher resolution output.

Does anyone know what the coaxial output on the E10 offers and if it is a better option to connect a desktop amp?

I believe the coaxial out on the E10 is a 2-channel digital output signal.
Amplifiers need an analog input signal (not digital).
So you can not connect the coaxial to an external amp.
I guess you could refer to PCM as an uncompressed audio signal.

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 3
That was what I locked in on was that it was uncompressed. I was thinking uncompressed audio... I did not realize it was digital.... so it's an adapter essentially to optical or toslink or SPDIF or what have you.

I got it.... no joy.
Mini to RCA for me.
THANKS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back