Fiio E-11 and Martin Logan Mikros 90: a nice package, with one niggling problem: poor customer service
Apr 2, 2014 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Wildgift

Head-Fier
I picked up a Fiios E-11 amp and a set of the Martin Logan Mikros 90s. Each cost 60.00 online. This is an awesome amp, and the MLs just came alive with it. I've burned them in for about 20 hours. Incredible depth and presence, and I have never used a headphone amp before. The eq settings are actually useful. Together, this setup is a great value. I bought in anticipation of a Pono player this fall, and making DVD-A ALAC rips has revealed nuances I have never heard in some songs before. Little things. The hum of a studio amp. A pick being dropped. Dialogue before a song starts. A great example: "With Our Love" from the Talking Heads "more songs..." I heard this sheet of Brian Eno synths that was always obscured to me and I have been listening to this record for 35 years!

So, for bang for the buck, this is a great combo and I'm really pleased that I can re-experience my music for only $120.00.

However, the 6" 3.5 mm cable that Fiios supplies was defective, and crackles and hums. I switched sources to ensure that it was the cable and the problem followed. I emailed Fiios, and they told me that the cable was not covered by the warranty, but would make an "exception" if I sent them $5.00 for shipping. I find this to be terrible customer service, and although I'm going to keep the amp and just replace the cable, I find Fiios nickel and dime attitude to be off putting. So, off to monoprice!

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 5
You should have contacted the seller first as it is his/her duty to exchange it for you. If you contacted FiiO, then it will be treated a warranty claim (or not, in this case).

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks, I'm waiting to hear from the seller. I bought it on Amazon through a third party seller. Let's see what they'll do. It's more the principle than the cost, if you get my drift. The amp sounds exquisite as long as I hold it just so.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 5
Amazon should be relatively pain free, even with a third party. Though the IC might not be covered by warranty, it is your right to receive a fully functional package, cable included. Make that a case and Amazon should side with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back