Fiio BTR5
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2019 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Hanesu

1000+ Head-Fier
There is an official webpage now, so let`s discuss all things related to this little fella here! :)

https://www.fiio.com/btr5

Oct 29, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 22
Not available for general sale yet:triportsad:

Oct 29, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 22
Thank you, @Hanesu .

Hope they've build it with an isolated micro. ^^
On the ES100, using the ambient mode was a bit annoying, imo.

Have to take a look at the Btr5 couz my ES100 was broken by battery issue.

Usb-C is nice to have also.

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 22
I'm going for the BTR5 over the Es100 despite the worse battery for these reasons:

Best output power so far (240mw into the 2.5mm) in a smol Bluetooth receiver

Build quality is on another level (all aluminum and 2.5d curved glass for both the front and the back), however it could compromise a bit the Bluetooth range.

You can take the clip on and off

That OLED mini display is maccaroni

Hopefully it's not going to have the same long-term use issues (many people say that the Es100 starts to give off problems after the first months of use, and that's annoying)

USB C, and that's a big plus for me!

I prefer the design of it

I can't tell about the sound tho the dacs are different and they should be better than the competition, being ESS Sabres I don't think they're going to sound as smooth as the AKM's and they're going to have different attributes to them (FiiO says that they are an improvement over the dual AK4375 implemented in the radsone) but take that as a grain of salt.

HOWEVER
It doesn't have the amazing app of the Es100, tho it has one.

It's heavier than the competition, by a large margin, so maybe it's not going to be as convenient to clip, for example, on the shirt, as the others.

For someone who loves to mess up with EQ and extreme personalization, the radsone is better in this section and still rapresents a great sounding bargain for 100 bucks, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 22
I'm going for the BTR5 over the Es100 despite the worse battery for these reasons:

Best output power so far (240mw into the 2.5mm) in a smol Bluetooth receiver

Build quality is on another level (all aluminum and 2.5d curved glass for both the front and the back), however it could compromise a bit the Bluetooth range.

You can take the clip on and off

That OLED mini display is maccaroni

Hopefully it's not going to have the same long-term use issues (many people say that the Es100 starts to give off problems after the first months of use, and that's annoying)

USB C, and that's a big plus for me!

I prefer the design of it

I can't tell about the sound tho the dacs are different and they should be better than the competition, being ESS Sabres I don't think they're going to sound as smooth as the AKM's and they're going to have different attributes to them (FiiO says that they are an improvement over the dual AK4375 implemented in the radsone) but take that as a grain of salt.

HOWEVER
It doesn't have the amazing app of the Es100, tho it has one.

It's heavier than the competition, by a large margin, so maybe it's not going to be as convenient to clip, for example, on the shirt, as the others.

For someone who loves to mess up with EQ and extreme personalization, the radsone is better in this section and still rapresents a great sounding bargain for 100 bucks, in my opinion.

I agree in almost all points. Just I wish the clip to take off would have been designed nicer. To me the plastic look kind of destroys the nice design of the device itself.

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 22
Does the fiio btr5 has a LHDC (HWA)?
The specs in official website state there no LHDC(HWA), just want to reconfirm as stated in the specs.
thx.

Nov 3, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #11 of 22
It does support LDHC but only if you use the official fiio music app, which is why I don't use it :wink:

The app sucks in comparison to neutron or poweramp.

They still have quite some bugs to iron out, but overall my btr5 and es100 are both on my desk and in my backpack permanently, can't decide which one is better for me yet.

Nov 3, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #12 of 22
It does support LDHC but only if you use the official fiio music app, which is why I don't use it :wink:

They still have quite some bugs to iron out, but overall my btr5 and es100 are both on my desk and in my backpack permanently, can't decide which one is better for me yet.
Ah really? Good to know from someone who has it, my bad .

Nov 3, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #13 of 22

Thx for the info, and yea im also in a state of dilemma on which should i get: Es100 or Btr5....

Nov 3, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #15 of 22
Yes, the control app is seperate, however the equaliser on the btr5 does not work on ldac, LDHC or USB dac mode.
Also, you can't use LDHC if you only use the support app.
If they fix the bugs timely on the btr5, the not working eq on any hi res codec being the main one, I would probably sell my es100, although the radsone app is 10 times better than the fiio support app

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back