[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 9, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #1,546 of 3,723
Hi All,

I just got the BTR5 and am having a problem with battery life. The battery is only lasting 2-3 hours. I have not connected to the Fiio Control App so am just using the default settings. I am feeding my receiver so it is connecting via bluetooth to my computer. I am then using the 2.5mm output at max volume (60).

Does this battery life seem right? For reference, I also have an ES100 and that lasts at least 3 times as long on the same configuration.

I do really like the Fiio sound quality and build quality. I'm sure I'll get this sorted out.

Thanks,
Robert

May 9, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #1,547 of 3,723
Hi All,

I just got the BTR5 and am having a problem with battery life. The battery is only lasting 2-3 hours. I have not connected to the Fiio Control App so am just using the default settings. I am feeding my receiver so it is connecting via bluetooth to my computer. I am then using the 2.5mm output at max volume (60).

Does this battery life seem right? For reference, I also have an ES100 and that lasts at least 3 times as long on the same configuration.

I do really like the Fiio sound quality and build quality. I'm sure I'll get this sorted out.

Thanks,
Robert
Balanced = highest power output, max volume = highest power output, so 3 hours actually doesn't surprise me in that case. You're fully taxing the BTR5 battery in that manner

May 9, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #1,548 of 3,723
I have a brand new leather case for the BTR5 that I have no use for. If you are in the US, drop me a PM if you need one.
The case has sold!

May 9, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #1,549 of 3,723
Got it. Maybe my battery expectations were too high.

Does anyone know where I can get a very short (0.5m) 2.5mm mmcx cable to use with this? I saw a 3.5mm listed a couple pages back, but would like to use the balanced output. Ideally, I'd like to stay around $20.

May 9, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #1,550 of 3,723

2~3 hours seems a little short to me. Which receiver are we talking here? Though at max volume, double amping should not draw a lot of current from BTR5 because the very high input impedance of the receiver, which in itself will preserve some battery life.

May 9, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #1,551 of 3,723
Do we know what exactly the DAC Clock Divider does, and how it changes sound?

May 9, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #1,553 of 3,723
Do we know what exactly the DAC Clock Divider does, and how it changes sound?

The are probably oversampling setting.

It is a pioneer SC-55.

A quick check reveals it doesn't have any real balanced input - if You are using a set of RCA cable (with balanced 2.5mm plug on the other end) to connect the BTR5 to your Pionner, it is very likely that you are short-circuiting the BTR5 left and right negative channel, causing a lot of current leakage, as it is common that RCA input, while looks separated as two inputs for left and right channels, are actually internally wired together on the ground. This will explain why you are not getting the battery life you should - also, this is inherently bad for BTR5's internal circuit even though it has protection circuit to prevent a burn-out.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #1,554 of 3,723
The are probably oversampling setting.

A quick check reveals it doesn't have any real balanced input - if You are using a set of RCA cable (with balanced 2.5mm plug on the other end) to connect the BTR5 to your Pionner, it is very likely that you are short-circuiting the BTR5 left and right negative channel, causing a lot of current leakage, as it is common that RCA input, while looks separated as two inputs for left and right channels, are actually internally wired together on the ground. This will explain why you are not getting the battery life you should - also, this is inherently bad for BTR5's internal circuit even though it has protection circuit to prevent a burn-out.

Wow...thanks! So instead of using the 2.5mm cable, should I use a 3.5mm? I just assumed using the 2.5 would be better!

May 10, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #1,555 of 3,723
Just a suggestion about how to connect the BTR5 with an iPhone wired, without spending a lot of money. I bought this OTG USB to Lightning adapter. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000424033369.html Then, connected the BTR5 using a USB A to USB C cable. I am listening to Tidal with my iPhone wired and getting the musics in the best quality ("Master" quality instead of using the AAC protocol). Hope this helps!

This is really interesting.
Can you please confirm the highest bitrate MQA unfolding you can achieve ?

Hoping it’s at least 192/24

May 10, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #1,556 of 3,723
Wow...thanks! So instead of using the 2.5mm cable, should I use a 3.5mm? I just assumed using the 2.5 would be better!

Better only if you used it correctly. Used incorrectly, it is at best worsening the SQ, at worst destroying the device all together.
Balanced output should only be able to either connect to balanced input or balanced headphone. You should keep it to BTR5's 3.5mm for the Pioneer from now on.

May 10, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #1,557 of 3,723

BTR5 isn't MQA certified. It is Tidal that does the 1st unfolding.

May 10, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #1,558 of 3,723
Showing out of stock in the US until June 2. I can get the es100 delivered in 2 days. Which to get?
Well that sucks. I remember placing a backorder for $140 then discovered amz official FiiO store for just $110 lol
There are some alternatives options, for me I would look at FiiO M5 and/or Shanling UP4
Got it. Maybe my battery expectations were too high.

Does anyone know where I can get a very short (0.5m) 2.5mm mmcx cable to use with this? I saw a 3.5mm listed a couple pages back, but would like to use the balanced output. Ideally, I'd like to stay around $20.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32944462016.html (but it's well beyond $20). FiiO released a 45cm 2.5mm 0.78mm (not mmcx, sorry) but it stays in the budget https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001018438290.html. If I saw this earlier, I didn't have to spend another $20 on the Hiby cable lol

May 10, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #1,559 of 3,723

So, when listening to MQA audio (using the iPhone adapter), BTR5 screen shows 96k. This is Tidal best resolution: 96kHz/24bits.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #1,560 of 3,723
d73b3e,

Thanks for finding those cables! The $20 was just a wish. It looks like your first cable example is exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate you finding that for me. I usually think I'm pretty good with the Google, but that escaped me!

Thanks,
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back