FiiO BTA30,Hi-Fi desktop bluetooth receiver&transmitter,RCA/Optical/Coaxial interface
Jan 7, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #286 of 584
Jan 9, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #288 of 584
Hi,

The BTA-30 is back in it's box.

I wanted to use it as USB DAC as I got another DAC to use with my other devices.

But the fact that it is impossible to feed it with anything else than the 48Khz files makes it simply unusable with Linux.
It seems there may be some workarounds but I am unable to get them to work.

I'll keep trying some things, but really not sure I'll manage to get those to work.

High hopes. Great desappointment.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #292 of 584
Of course, if you feel that this default setting of the BTA30 does not solve your problem, then we can change a version of the test software for you to switch between inputs by double clicking on the power button (only the switch, which may not be shown by the indicator light), which I think would solve your problem and would be slightly more convenient than the app
Hi, do you remember this? Yes, I need that modded firmware, because I already have tested the transceiver and in order to switch from coaxial to optical, I have to set the transceiver to RX mode, then open the FiiO Control app on my phone and disable both USB and coaxial inputs. Finally, I have to set the transceiver to TX mode. This is not comfortable for me, so if you give me a test firmware with that feature I will be very happy with this product. However, it would be much better to have a dedicated button for this function or add the optical input as an additional option to the app and let the user modify the input priority to quickly switch between optical and coaxial. Pay attention to this for your next product, because I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one with this issue.

Looking forward to your response, thank you very much for your excellent support!! I have never bought any product from FiiO before. but now I'm sold. I also have bought your EH3 NC headphones, although I have not yet tested them with the BTA30.

PS. Please explain how to flash the new firmware when is ready.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #293 of 584
USB dac seems to have auto on-off built in ? And it is causing some speaker popping noise for me. The white LED will turn to flashing green if there is no sound automatically.....

This makes the UsB dac nearly usable....

Jan 10, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #294 of 584
Hopefully the next revision will have aptx Adaptive added (for Tx mode).

For next revision, I would like :
- the ability to select between rx/tx/DAC mode more easily ;
- the ability to select the input source directly from the device and not from the app ;
- the ability to use the DAC with something else than the fixed input it for now uses and that makes the DAC unuasable when using USB (and I have to do so as the BTA-30 is now too far away from the computer and the optical output of the motherboard).

USB dac seems to have auto on-off built in ? And it is causing some speaker popping noise for me. The white LED will turn to flashing green if there is no sound automatically.....

This makes the UsB dac nearly usable....

USB DAC is totally unusable if you're running Linux.
According to what you say, it also is barely usable when used in macOs or Windows.

So I wonder : why not just shutting if off and advertise the product as simply Toslink/SPDIF DAC and use the USB just as power source ?
That would at least save FiiO some bad reports on an otherwise clever and nice product...

Jan 11, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #295 of 584
Hi,

The BTA-30 is back in it's box.

I wanted to use it as USB DAC as I got another DAC to use with my other devices.

But the fact that it is impossible to feed it with anything else than the 48Khz files makes it simply unusable with Linux.
It seems there may be some workarounds but I am unable to get them to work.

I'll keep trying some things, but really not sure I'll manage to get those to work.

High hopes. Great desappointment.
That firmware improves the problem of not being able to hear the sound for less than 1s at the beginning in the case of multiple inputs.
It is not officially released. If you need this firmware, you can private message me, thanks!

As we have made clear on several occasions, the USB DAC does not support sample rates of 192k and above.
This is because the product was not originally defined as a USB DAC, but as a multifunctional transceiver. This cannot be changed now and can only be improved in the next generation of products.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 11, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #296 of 584
For next revision, I would like :
- the ability to select between rx/tx/DAC mode more easily ;
- the ability to select the input source directly from the device and not from the app ;
- the ability to use the DAC with something else than the fixed input it for now uses and that makes the DAC unuasable when using USB (and I have to do so as the BTA-30 is now too far away from the computer and the optical output of the motherboard).

USB DAC is totally unusable if you're running Linux.
According to what you say, it also is barely usable when used in macOs or Windows.

So I wonder : why not just shutting if off and advertise the product as simply Toslink/SPDIF DAC and use the USB just as power source ?
That would at least save FiiO some bad reports on an otherwise clever and nice product...
Hi
Being a manufacturer, we have also done our research, and with the current product situation, there are quite a few users using the USB DAC function.
Before the launch, I had at least specified on Headfi, the formats it could support up to and the sample rates, do you remember there was a table?
We don't want to create a misunderstanding either, in fact this product is less than $100 and I think the BTA30 is still excellent and worth the price.
Of course, it does have some problems and your suggestions are good and I think we will improve them in later products.

The BTA30, according to our tests, supports Linux and works fine on MacOs and Windows, it is not Unusable as you say.

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 11, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #297 of 584
That firmware improves the problem of not being able to hear the sound for less than 1s at the beginning in the case of multiple inputs.
It is not officially released. If you need this firmware, you can private message me, thanks!

As we have made clear on several occasions, the USB DAC does not support sample rates of 192k and above.
This is because the product was not originally defined as a USB DAC, but as a multifunctional transceiver. This cannot be changed now and can only be improved in the next generation of products.

Hi,

No problem.
I get the point.

But the problem is, whatever the sample rate used (44.1, 48, 88.2, 96...) there is no sound coming out of the BTA-30.
The BTA-30 is recognized as a USB device and I select it as the output device for my files.
But when I try to play anything over it, I get no sound at all.

This is probably because I use it with Linux and should configure PulseAudio (/etc/pulse/daemon.conf).
I have been able to do so previously, but I have been unable to reproduce that setting.
So the USB DAC part is totally unusable for me now... and I hoped to be able to get it to work, even if only with files downsampled to 48Khz.

Maybe the misunderstanding from my part is :
- because there is a DAC selection ;
- because the BTA-30 appears as a DAC for sound output on computer when hooked up with USB ;
- because the BTA-30 is also advertised as being able to improve the sound when playing from a computer thanks to it's DAC functionality. So that assumes you can play files over the BAC using USB, which is not my case (but again, maybe that is because I use Linux, so not really "common" OS).

I'll wait for the next iteration of the BAT-30 because I still think that, if it fits my needs (which it did for a time) it is a really nice and cute device for a really decent price and offers a pack of features and pretty good sound.

Regards.

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #299 of 584
@FiiO Willson :

Is it possible to keep the USB dac to stay on ( white LED light ) even when there is no windows sound output?

I get popping noise for example when a youtube video starts ( white light) , and when a youtube video stops (green flashing light).

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #300 of 584
when is version 2 of this device coming? because the idea is awesome, a proper bluetooth transmitter, the perfect couple for a btr5... great idea, but when is the decent version coming? cause this one is half baked at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back