Fiio amps?
Jul 20, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #151 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarinthegourd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, this thread I started sure has grown since I last checked in!

Just thought I'd mention that dealextreme now sells the FiiO amp -- for $8.50 including shipping to the US!

Their shipping's not the fastest, but they're reliable & if you have problems with something they'll usually just send you another.

While you're at it, order a couple sets of their cheap and pretty good in-ear headphones.

Have you folks who ordered from DealExtreme gotten yours yet? DealExtreme is great but the shipping can take awhile...

Jul 20, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #153 of 877
Mine was just shipped from DealExtreme just on the 15th.To get to me here in Seattle, USA it will take another 3 weeks. 12-17 business days. And Ive ordered from them 3 other times with same results each time.

It got processed and shiped within 2 days but free shipping from Hong Kong takes a while. $8.50 for anything from that far away is just amazing to me. I spent less then two bucks the first time from them for my D2 screen protectors with free shipping.

Jul 21, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #154 of 877
On paper, the Fiio is impressive considering its price and what its powered by.

Unloaded VS 75 Ohm Loaded Fiio E3:
Fiio-001.gif

Loaded Fiio E3 tests (75 Ohm)
Fiio-002.gif

Fiio-003.gif

Fiio-004.gif

Fiio-005.gif

Fiio-006.gif

Fiio-007.gif

Fiio-008.gif

In practice though, an impedance adapter is somewhat recommended (with compatible earphones, considering some IEMs have a Crossover implementation that may screw things up) to further bring out its potential, and reduce/eliminate possible hiss.

One may also say that it produces a very warm sound sig with little distortion, unlike most software based EQ'ing.

Jul 21, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #155 of 877
I've bought one on ebay..i'll post my thoughts when it comes.

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #156 of 877
I ordered mine on 13th July from DX, it's been shipped on 19th of July.

Says 5-14 days to get to Australia

Jul 21, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #157 of 877
My FiiO arrived this very minute. Very initial out-of-the-box impressions are...blimey, for one penny (excl shipping) this little thing is really quite impressive. There is some hiss, but w/ Triple Fi/iRiver H140, it's not really intrusive - sounds like a seashell kind of (!). Overall sound is warm w/ bass lift but goodish separation...for my purposes (onboard for cycling), I am so far really taken with this little thing. I have a feeling it will sound better with my ER-4 where the warmth/bass lift may be more suitable.

Jul 21, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #158 of 877
yeah for $10 buck you cant really complain...

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #159 of 877
I'm looking for an amp that can pump up the volume, because I live in Europe and with this volume caps it's hard to find a mp3 with a good volume. So anyone can tell if this pump up the volume?Or only improve the sound?

Anyone, with a European iPod classic and a fiio, who can tell me how much it improve the volume and overall sound?

Sorry for my English.

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #160 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for an amp that can pump up the volume, because I live in Europe and with this volume caps it's hard to find a mp3 with a good volume. So anyone can tell if this pump up the volume?Or only improve the sound?

Anyone, with a European iPod classic and a fiio, who can tell me how much it improve the volume and overall sound?

I don't have any experience with European volume-capped players (thankfully), but the FiiO does increase the volume by a small amount. For my players, I find myself lowering the volume by a few notches (about 3 to 6) when the FiiO is attached in order to return the overall volume to the levels I'm used to.

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #161 of 877
I got mine in the mail this morning (ordered it from DealExtreme July 11th, I live in Boston it was sent from Hong Kong) and after a few hours with this my thoughts haven't changed much since when I initially heard it.

Basically it is a lot like an eq that adds a little bass and maybe adds a smidgen of separation. Adds some volume to my D2 for sure. Also there is hiss that comes from the amp its self, I turned my D2 all the way down and still heard the hiss, and the hiss did not change volume when I turned my D2 up to 35. When I took the amp out and listened just to the D2 it sounded a bit cold and analytical, also the silence was much more pronounced. All that being said, listening to the Fiio is enjoyable, I'm not sure if it is less fatiguing, but maybe that is it. I'm not certain if any of this would change with a better ic, but I guess it is possible, although it doesn't make much since to get a great ic for such an inexpensive amp. For the price I would recomend it, I mean why not, it's fun to mess with and gives your player a different sound.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #162 of 877
I just got mine! It shipped last week, I think Wednesday and it arrived today and I live in the US. I was quite surprised it got to me this quickly.

This is my first ever amp. I didn't plan on using an amp but for $10, how can you go wrong? So far I love it. My source is a A818 and I've on tried it with my PK2 and I love how I can lower the volume. I noticed a boost in bass and it is more clearer. Also there is a wee-bit more separation of the instruments. While it's small, I'm not sure if I will take it with me on the go. For me, it'll be a at home, sitting down on the computer type thing. Only thing I don't like about it, is the cable is really long. Wish it were shorter. Other than that, definitely worth the $10!

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #163 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry for my English.

It won't increase loudness by much, but it may help with volume. More precisely, it will improve frequency coverage by the headphones, so they'll block external noise better (they will have more wholeness of sound, "fill" better, the sound will become more "3D" and powerful).

For a real loudness boost, a CMoy amp or something like the Minibox-D would be more like it.

Jul 22, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #164 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried the FiiO with HD600 (300 ohm), HD650(300 ohm), DT531 (250 ohm), and DT831 (250 ohm). I prefer listening using these phones with the FiiO over using them with a few well-known, stationary (wall-powered) amps costing 15 - 20 times the price of the FiiO. Of the four higher-impedance phones above, I'd say that my favorite with the FiiO is the HD600. Since I mainly use the FiiO at work, I use it with Yuin PK1 buds to avoid sound leakage into adjoining cubicles. From my very modest work rig (including the FiiO), I get a level of sound that I consider to be a genuine treat to listen to.

Wow, for $10, time to buy. This has convinced me!

Jul 22, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #165 of 877
Only snag with the FiiO E3 is, AAA batteries don't last long (and this is more a problem with AAA batteries, they just don't have the same power output over time as any other type). So rechargeable AAA batteries would be a money-saver...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back