Figuring out if my Amp drives my K701s efficiently
Apr 18, 2011 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Zarathustra19

1000+ Head-Fier
Okay, so here's the story.

I have a pair of AKG K701 (white) which I bought as a graduation present to myself. I also came by an old solid state amp my dad was getting rid of, and thought, "Great, this will drive the K701 to its fullest!" Now, I'm not sure. I'm learning a little bit about impedance and am having quite a time figuring out if my amp provides the power I need. I know the K701 doesn't have a huge impedance (65 ohm), but I have no idea what kind of power the amp produces. Thus, I turn to the experts here at head-fi.  

So, here's what I know. The amp is a Pioneer model from the 80's, which says "Computer Controlled Stereo Receiver, SX-6" and on the front there is an indicator of the "output power" which reads: (W/8ohm) and under which are displayed what I assume are either db or watts (.001, .01, 1, 5, 20 and 80) I get pretty good sound out of it, but I'm wondering if I should upgrade it in the next year or so to get the most out of my cans.

Any Help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Zach

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 7
I believe Your phone's are a little to sensitive for the amp to drive them to thier fullest, Older Amp's if I remember correctly were 8 ohm's only, it will push them but not to thier max sorry to say. If I may suggest, it's that You contact SkyLab, KwKarth or Uncle Erik and they should be able to help You out with this better than I can.

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 7
Hmm I have no idea on how that Pioneer performs but I can definitely tell you that the K701 requires a good tube amp to perform at it's best. Look into the WooAudio series, the WA6 is a great mid-level amp that does wonders to the K701.

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Hmm I have no idea on how that Pioneer performs but I can definitely tell you that the K701 requires a good tube amp to perform at it's best. Look into the WooAudio series, the WA6 is a great mid-level amp that does wonders to the K701.

Could look at the Schiit Lyr or how about the Sheer Audio HA-006+ or HA-006++SE as other option's, yay or nay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back