Fight On!: Beyer DT990 vs Grado 325i
Nov 30, 2010 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

CaptainDesslock

New Head-Fier
Recieved both in the mail today,

Have been listening for the last 3 hours, and in short I cannot say either are far beyond my athm50's but as of now the Dt990 seems to be two full steps ahead of the 325i, will post a more in depth review tonight and an additional review after they've been given a few days to burn in and properly amped. However, my initial impression is this-

Dt990's-massive bass, serene highs, beautiful soundstage, fairly aggressive in the mids but not its strength, however music overall seems much stronger because of the balance and soundstage

325i-decent bass, shrill highs, decent soundstage (moreso than i thought it would be) gorgoeus, gorgeous mids that actually seem to be its weakness, to much is sacrificed to achieve it I feel, and the overall the presentation of music seems much weaker because bass and highs aren't there to support it

Curious to hear your thoughts.

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 6
Interesting. You have got two of the "most shrill" headphones I can think of. Good comparison though.

I've been listening to the DT990 for the past week and I really cannot stand the piercing highs. I hated my SR80i highs as well.

(That's where the DT880 comes in and saves the day...)
smile.gif

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 6
interestingly i used to have this dilemma in a different version: i had an alessandro ms2i and a beyerdynamic dt990 600 ohms. i gave up the ms2i because of listening fatigue, which i could not get with the dt990. at that time i also felt the dt990 was the superior can, comfort, sq wise, bass delivery wise, soundstage wise...

Nov 30, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
interestingly i used to have this dilemma in a different version: i had an alessandro ms2i and a beyerdynamic dt990 600 ohms. i gave up the ms2i because of listening fatigue, which i could not get with the dt990. at that time i also felt the dt990 was the superior can, comfort, sq wise, bass delivery wise, soundstage wise...

I simply cannot even imagine how shrill the MS2i would be then...

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #6 of 6
I wouldn't consider the DT990 shrill, the biggest difference I hear between them and the Grado sound is the DT990 slightly recessed mids and smaller soundstage. I'll reply again to this thread when my 325's arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back