FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread
May 9, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #1,636 of 3,064

I do really like the stock A83 cable; my only gripe with it is that it's a straight jack and I prefer right angle jacks. But that's preference so it's not really any sort of drawback. I wouldn't exactly say I'm upgrading from the A83, more like side-grading/expanding experience horizons. Plus, I don't have a working A83 yet, can you blame me?
tongue.gif

I'd say the Supra 2 is flatter in response than the A83. I wouldn't say it does things better or worse than the A83, but it's a different experience and sound signature. The one thing I'd say the Supra 2 has top trumps against the A83 is in isolation since the A83 has a dynamic driver and thus a vent. And also because it's way deeper insertion than the A83 so there's better isolation. Supra 2 is also smaller so it fits my ears better. The sound kinda reminds me of my B3, but actually even flatter and waaaaayyyyy more efficient.

How's the sound sig of the A83 compare to that of the ASG-2? I was looking at it at one point, but the A83 was just a lot more affordable and I figured it would be pretty close in fidelity, or at least as much fidelity as I needed and it seemed like a sound signature I liked; I was right, the A83 worked out pretty well for me
biggrin.gif

ASG-2 in theory of its original tuning is quite a bit warmer all over the mids to lows and much thicker note weight. The Aurisonics bass response depending on the tuning port adjustment is brutally dominant of the presentation, fore-front of the show without any question, its a bass heavy presentation, no escape. A83 can push out strong detail but lends some of this from a brightish tonality, and much more balanced all over.

ASG-2 just uses brute force to throw out thick meaty detail over the top of that bass. Like being spoken to by a huge African Amercian man using the deepest vocal cords of his voice making your hair blow backwards (it is a ride). A83 in comparison sounds like a feather weighted disc jockey. 

My ASG-2 however is unique as it has slightly less acoustic filter behind the nozzles which is a propriety filter made just for Aurisonics, looks like cotton wool. Due to my unit having slightly less it sounds brighter and a little more vibrant than a stock ASG-2.

May 10, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #1,637 of 3,064
Has anyone cleaned the mmcx connectors of the A83 when they experienced any sound cutting out?

Sometime this month, my right earpiece started cutting out at random intervals, and it would go away after a slight movement from my head. I used some rubbing alcohol to clean out the male and female mmcx connectors and found some dirt to clean up.
I felt a little paranoid that the right side was also quieter, but so far, it's good after the cleaning.

I'll report in a few days to see if the issue is fixed.

May 10, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #1,638 of 3,064
Yup. Experienced that. Cleaned the connectors (male and female) and found some dirt build-up. The sound become whole again. After 1 week, the intermittent cutting surfaced again on the right earpiece. All of this is with stock cable. With aftermarket cables (shure and linum), there is no intermittent cutting of sound. I guess the culprit would be the male connector of stock cable.

May 14, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #1,640 of 3,064
  How do you guys like this IEM? I am really considering getting a pair. How is the cable?

I prefer good bass with forward mids.

Thanks!

Oh, you know, I think its pretty bad actually. Pages of pages of me (us) posting how bad it is.

Check my review to get my take on it:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fidue-a83-reference-class-triple-hybrid-iem/reviews/11767 

May 14, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #1,646 of 3,064
SE425 is very neutral/flat (some would call it boring), slightly mid centric, with folled off higha dn low end.  It has good clarity though, and I found fit and isolation both brilliant.

A83 is relatively balanced - but slight V shape with more bass impact than would be deemed neutral.  It has very good extension both ends.  Persoanlly I'd put the A83 at a class above the SE425 (and I genuinely liked the SE425).

May 15, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #1,647 of 3,064
The v-shape might be more emphasized if you're running straight out of a smartphone or similar device, like how I do with my iPod Touch 5th gen. I wouldn't call it bassy, but it's certainly not neutral in that department. It doesn't punch you in the face, but it lets you know of its presence. It provides the richest bass experiences I've heard to date (though that doesn't say much since I haven't heard that many IEMs). Despite that, there's still a great amount of detail retrieval out of the BAs for the rest of the spectrum. I wouldn't say balanced or neutral, but certainly quite enjoyable.

May 15, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #1,650 of 3,064
  Thanks. I'm excited. How's the comfort compared to Shure?

A little less comfortable for me. I've never had the SE425s, but it looks like it's the exact same housing as the SE215 which I have owned in the past. But I'd say I've got smaller ears. Plus, I feel like the connector isn't shaped in a way that's as bulky or uncomfortable on the A83 compared to the SE215 so that might also have something to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back