FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread
Aug 25, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #2,342 of 3,064
  I have the 3rd one. I bought the same Moon Audio balanced cable as @olddude, and I definitely CANNOT use it on my A83, while I can use it with no problem on my FX850...

Alright, so pretty much confirmed now that there are 3 versions of the A83. Too bad, now you can't use your balanced cable on it anymore.

The A83 is definitely a very good IEM, but these MMCX  connector problems are really disappointing!!! My second pair is on the way to Fidue to change them.

Wonder if it has anything to do with just how some of these manufacturers are making proprietary versions of it. Like how much trouble VSonic had with theirs on the VSD3S and now the troubles Fidue seems to be having. They both made their own tweaks to the MMCX connectors and it feels like I read problems more often with these than the Shure and Westone IEMs that just use the standard basic MMCX connector.

Aug 25, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #2,343 of 3,064
  Wonder if it has anything to do with just how some of these manufacturers are making proprietary versions of it. Like how much trouble VSonic had with theirs on the VSD3S and now the troubles Fidue seems to be having. They both made their own tweaks to the MMCX connectors and it feels like I read problems more often with these than the Shure and Westone IEMs that just use the standard basic MMCX connector.

I may be completely wrong, and this is pure speculation on my side... But my take on the change, when I realized what Fidue had (apparently) done, was to assume that things might actually be backwards from what you're suggesting: that is, the standard MMCX connector on the original A83 iteration was finicky, and Fidue changed it to avoid problems. Mine, for instance, don't rotate freely like usual MMCX connectors do, and that might be exactly to minimize cutting out trouble. At least, that was what I thought, lol.

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #2,344 of 3,064
  I may be completely wrong, and this is pure speculation on my side... But my take on the change, when I realized what Fidue had (apparently) done, was to assume that things might actually be backwards from what you're suggesting: that is, the standard MMCX connector on the original A83 iteration was finicky, and Fidue changed it to avoid problems. Mine, for instance, don't rotate freely like usual MMCX connectors do, and that might be exactly to minimize cutting out trouble. At least, that was what I thought, lol.

Fidue's MMCX never rotated freely actually. They always at least had the locking tab on their cable which prevented the use of their MMCX cables on other manufacturers' IEMs, though other MMCX cables could fit into the A83's socket (due to other cables not having locking tabs). I think this is the first time I've seen the A83 with a fully recessed socket. Got a couple questions for you: does yours have a chin slider and are you able to find your QC slip that came in the A83 packaging to see what the QC inspection date is? Like I said previously, my first set that broke had a chin slider and locking tab (not protrusion + recessed socket) and I don't remember what the QC date of that one was while my current replacement set doesn't have a chin slider, has the same locking tab without recessed sockets, and a QC slip dated February of 2015.

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #2,345 of 3,064

Fidue's MMCX never rotated freely actually. They always at least had the locking tab on their cable which prevented the use of their MMCX cables on other manufacturers' IEMs, though other MMCX cables could fit into the A83's socket (due to other cables not having locking tabs). I think this is the first time I've seen the A83 with a fully recessed socket. Got a couple questions for you: does yours have a chin slider and are you able to find your QC slip that came in the A83 packaging to see what the QC inspection date is? Like I said previously, my first set that broke had a chin slider and locking tab (not protrusion + recessed socket) and I don't remember what the QC date of that one was while my current replacement set doesn't have a chin slider, has the same locking tab without recessed sockets, and a QC slip dated February of 2015.

Mine has the chin slider alright... Was bought at the end of June 2015 from Penon Audio, and I can definitely go check the box for the QC slip. Tomorrow, though, as the box's in the attic, and it's dinnertime, now, where I am :wink:.

My educated guess, though, would be that anyone who buys an A83 now is going to be locked in to the Fidue cable... I'll check the QC slip and chime back, though, so that we can have more data points.

Aug 25, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #2,346 of 3,064

Mine has the chin slider alright... Was bought at the end of June 2015 from Penon Audio, and I can definitely go check the box for the QC slip. Tomorrow, though, as the box's in the attic, and it's dinnertime, now, where I am :wink:.

My educated guess, though, would be that anyone who buys an A83 now is going to be locked in to the Fidue cable... I'll check the QC slip and chime back, though, so that we can have more data points.

Always good to know more! I'm not surprised that Penon Audio has more recent stock than Extreme Audio; Penon Audio is a very good distributor of Chinese IEMs, I've always had great service from them. That appears to be the possible case we're presented with now. Enjoy your dinner!
beerchug.gif

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #2,347 of 3,064
Wow! There are now 3 versions?!

I definitely wouldn't conclude this too soon. I bought my A83's around August 10th 2015, and I seem to have the version with the cable cinch but thankfully without the recessed cable sockets.

I ordered my A83 on Amazon USA from the seller "JCN DigiMart." The first pair they sent had terrible and frequent driver flex on the right side, but the replacement pair that they sent has only flexed maybe 3 times out of 300 insertions and only due to rough insertions when it happened. Otherwise, the replacement pair is nearly perfect. I can also use aftermarket cables such as the Linum BaX with my non-recessed version.

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #2,348 of 3,064
Wow! There are now 3 versions?!
I definitely wouldn't conclude this too soon. I bought my A83's around August 10th 2015, and I seem to have the version with the cable cinch but thankfully without the recessed cable sockets.

I ordered my A83 on Amazon USA from the seller "JCN DigiMart." The first pair they sent had terrible and frequent driver flex on the right side, but the replacement pair that they sent has only flexed maybe 3 times out of 300 insertions and only due to rough insertions when it happened. Otherwise, the replacement pair is nearly perfect. I can also use aftermarket cables such as the Linum BaX with my non-recessed version.

Can you try to find the QC label that came in the A83 box? @geagle is gonna try to find it in a day or so. Maybe we can somewhat figure out based on QC batches. The more info we can get the better!

Aug 25, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #2,349 of 3,064

Can you try to find the QC label that came in the A83 box? @geagle is gonna try to find it in a day or so. Maybe we can somewhat figure out based on QC batches. The more info we can get the better!

I think this is it? From what the date says my unit seems to have been checked in February 2015. If this is a warranty card or something, please don't use it haha. I can't read Mandarin.

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #2,350 of 3,064
For anyone who wants to drop $100 odd on a source for thier A83 check out Xuelin ihifi 770c (DAC - 8740), run that with your A83. Pick them up on Penon Audio. It's a real winner pairing, been using it all day into the night. You want to use the 'bright' headphone out, as it has 2 outputs.

Read more here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/747018/ihifi-770-770c-thread#post_11143174

Do u happen to know whats the diff between the upgrade version and the other one? cos i found two sellers on ebay, one states that its the upgrade ver and the other doesnt. However, the price diff is also rather significant as one of it is 99USD + 10USD shipping and the other is approx 91.38USD with free shipping.

upgrade ver
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XUELIN-IHIFI770C-Upgrade-VER-8G-WM8740-DAC-24Bit-192k-HiFi-Portale-Music-Player-/381087975838?var=&hash=item58ba9d099e

does not state whether its upgrade ver
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XUELIN-IHIFI770C-8G-WM8740-24Bit-192k-Portable-HiFi-Music-Player-/171884449883?hash=item28051c905b

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #2,351 of 3,064
  Do u happen to know whats the diff between the upgrade version and the other one? cos i found two sellers on ebay, one states that its the upgrade ver and the other doesnt. However, the price diff is also rather significant as one of it is 99USD + 10USD shipping and the other is approx 91.38USD with free shipping.

upgrade ver
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XUELIN-IHIFI770C-Upgrade-VER-8G-WM8740-DAC-24Bit-192k-HiFi-Portale-Music-Player-/381087975838?var=&hash=item58ba9d099e

does not state whether its upgrade ver
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XUELIN-IHIFI770C-8G-WM8740-24Bit-192k-Portable-HiFi-Music-Player-/171884449883?hash=item28051c905b

You want the upgraded version with  8470 DAC chip.

Forget about the old version, you don't want it, pretend it doesn't exist.

That eBay seller you linked bigbargainonline is actually Penon Audio eBay account. (same person)

You can just buy the 770c here below which is $5 cheaper than the eBay listing with free shipping.

http://penonaudio.com/XUELIN-IHIFI770C

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #2,352 of 3,064

That eBay seller you linked bigbargainonline is actually Penon Audio eBay account. (same person)

You can just buy the 770c here below which is $5 cheaper than the eBay listing with free shipping.

Thanks! =)

I was actually about to get the Fiio X3 II, and then I saw ur post! Now i can save 100 bucks! I hope it sounds as good as the X3

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #2,353 of 3,064

Oh yea, I just checked the second ebay seller again, and its stated that its the 8470 DAC, and not the older 8718... So would that mean that this is the upgraded version?

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #2,354 of 3,064

Ok, my QC slip says 30 Apr 2015... It was ordered on Penon Audio on June 27th, 2015, and arrived around a week later to me, in early July... I'd say that mine is later than both yours @Midgetguy and yours @TryHard? If I understand correctly, yours were both "passed" in February, right?

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #2,355 of 3,064

Ok, my QC slip says 30 Apr 2015... It was ordered on Penon Audio on June 27th, 2015, and arrived around a week later to me, in early July... I'd say that mine is later than both yours @Midgetguy and yours @TryHard? If I understand correctly, yours were both "passed" in February, right?

So from what I'm gathering so far, the QC ones around your date are the newest versions, with both cable cinch and recessed sockets. And based on mine (I'll double check my QC slip when I have a chance this weekend) and @JimmyTryhard's reports, the 2 old versions, distinguished by with/without cable cinch, but both with locking tabs instead of recessed sockets, Sometime around February was when they stopped production of the first version without a cable cinch and made the second version with the cable cinch. Then, a couple months later, perhaps due to reports of some connection issues for people here in the forums, they changed over to recessed sockets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back