Fidelizer appreciation and impressions thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #241 of 439
will there be an update to Fidelizer when Windows 10 Anniversary Edition is released? I ask because I am having an issue with video playback when Fidelizer is active and attempting to play any video file. I either get an indefinite spinning wheel, or an error message regarding computer not having enough memory. (I have 32 GB ddr3 2400mHz and only 3 GB is in use at the time)

I am guessing it is related to something in the Win 10 AE (never with original Win 10) because if I uninstall Fidelizer the video playback resumes. if you need a better explanation, let me know and I can try and be a bit more coherent in my description.

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #242 of 439
  My apologies. I interpreted it as you have an issue about finding where to setup buffer size. As for 112 being optimal buffer size, some hardware devices  setup buffer size with the base of 108/112 so getting 112 is about the right amount for bufferless design. Some people set it to 128 or 256 for reliability with multiple devices.

As for Tidal app, I didn't notice about exclusive option when it was first released. Some customers told me they prefer playing from Chrome with better sound quality but I haven't checked with recent version due to some circumstances. Anyway, you can test, compare and findout which one works better with you. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Thanks for the info WindowsX. After playing with the buffer sizes, the ones that sounds better for me are 112 and 128, being 128 my favorite now.

Regarding TIDAL, yes exclusive mode was added on February I think. It's a huge step towards Sound Quality on TIDAL.

Regarding Fidelizer Pro, I'm still doing my tests. But my first impression of the Pro version is:   So far, sooooo good! Even using the Consumer user level, the sound clearly better than the Free version. I would say that Fidelizer Pro is almost as good as Fidelizer + JPLAY. 

Great piece of software, Keetakawee :)

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #243 of 439
Now if only there was a way for non rooted Android phones to receive some of your love...

Hmm...

If you look around. I also share some love with Android-based DAPs like iBasso/Calyx (And also some intensive of mods like Xiaomi Mi Note here).

http://en.miui.com/thread-121188-1-1.html

will there be an update to Fidelizer when Windows 10 Anniversary Edition is released? I ask because I am having an issue with video playback when Fidelizer is active and attempting to play any video file. I either get an indefinite spinning wheel, or an error message regarding computer not having enough memory. (I have 32 GB ddr3 2400mHz and only 3 GB is in use at the time)

I am guessing it is related to something in the Win 10 AE (never with original Win 10) because if I uninstall Fidelizer the video playback resumes. if you need a better explanation, let me know and I can try and be a bit more coherent in my description.

Of course there'll be Fidelizer update after  Win10AE officially releaseed. Are you using free version or Pro version? You can try 'Media Center' audio profile in Fidelizer Pro and see if it works better for you.

Thanks for the info WindowsX. After playing with the buffer sizes, the ones that sounds better for me are 112 and 128, being 128 my favorite now.

Regarding TIDAL, yes exclusive mode was added on February I think. It's a huge step towards Sound Quality on TIDAL.

Regarding Fidelizer Pro, I'm still doing my tests. But my first impression of the Pro version is:   So far, sooooo good! Even using the Consumer user level, the sound clearly better than the Free version. I would say that Fidelizer Pro is almost as good as Fidelizer + JPLAY. 

Great piece of software, Keetakawee :)

I'm glad to hear you like Fidelizer Pro. I tried Tidal last year so it wasn't there back then. It's good to see Tidal is stepping on the right track. Most buffers are based on power of two so 128 should be optimal choice for most USB audio devices.

Regards,
Keetakawee 

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #244 of 439

Of course there'll be Fidelizer update after  Win10AE officially releaseed. Are you using free version or Pro version? You can try 'Media Center' audio profile in Fidelizer Pro and see if it works better for you.

I have the Pro version installed, and even trying the media center option doesn't help the issue.

on the original version of Windows 10 I didn't have this issue (with the setting of Audiophile / Audio Renderer). It is only on the Anniversary Update that I am having the issue. For now I have uninstalled Fidelizer and video playback works, and I will just wait until you release the next update to see if the issue is corrected

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #245 of 439

I have the Pro version installed, and even trying the media center option doesn't help the issue.

on the original version of Windows 10 I didn't have this issue (with the setting of Audiophile / Audio Renderer). It is only on the Anniversary Update that I am having the issue. For now I have uninstalled Fidelizer and video playback works, and I will just wait until you release the next update to see if the issue is corrected

Since Win10AE is in insider ring, there might be some unexpected bugs. I'll check again after it's officially launched and make sure of everything again. :)

By the way, have you tried Advanced configuration and uncheck some features that may cause this bug? Maybe trying Consumer level, uncheck OS Timer option, or system configuration option.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Jul 27, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #247 of 439
  i see that fidelizer works on media player like roon, jriver, tidal etc. What if im using spotify to listen to music, does fidelizer improve the sound quality as well?

Of course. I'm using Chrome listening to YouTube music video from laptop and Fidelizer helps my music enjoyment a lot too. It optimizes the whole Windows audio platform so Fidelizer will improve all kinds of audio playback software in Windows. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #248 of 439
@WindowsX it seems that the TIDAL Windows App is a bit peculiar. I'm having a problem on keeping the app on Realtime priority. I set the TIDAL.exe as the player to be launched by Fidelizer. I think this should start the process with High or Realtime priority, right? 

Well, the problem with TIDAL app is: It starts several TIDAL.exe processes and one TIDALPlayer.exe process. This last one is actually the one that plays the audio. I noticed that it starts with Low priority. I would then switch the program to be launched by fidelizer to TIDALPlayer.exe. But I cannot launch it manually, it's like a command line process, and I think it opens the final URL of the audio file, being directed  by the Tidal interface (TIDAL.exe). I think it works similarly to UPNP, but everything running locally.

I was already enjoying the sound quality, but I started to play with the process priority and I noticed how much the audio is improved but changing the priority. I manually changed to Realtime and, BOOM, what a change! I changed to Low, Normal, High and Realtime to play with it and evaluate the differences.

I actually could hear the difference between each one. The detail and presence of lows and highs, and also the punch of the drums. Well, when I keep TIDALPlayer.exe on Realtime (even not having its exclusive core to run by affinity) the audio quality is absolutely amazing.

The problem is that I keep having to set it manually from time to time. Sometimes if I pause the audio on Tidal player or change the album/playlist, or change between ASIO4ALL/JPLAY on ASIO BRIDGE, the TIDALPlayer.exe returns to low priority. I checked the PID and is still the same, so it's not ending and starting again.

How can I tell Fidelizer to keep TIDALPlayer.exe on Realtime without using an external application like Process Lasso?

Aug 1, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #249 of 439
  @WindowsX it seems that the TIDAL Windows App is a bit peculiar. I'm having a problem on keeping the app on Realtime priority. I set the TIDAL.exe as the player to be launched by Fidelizer. I think this should start the process with High or Realtime priority, right? 

Well, the problem with TIDAL app is: It starts several TIDAL.exe processes and one TIDALPlayer.exe process. This last one is actually the one that plays the audio. I noticed that it starts with Low priority. I would then switch the program to be launched by fidelizer to TIDALPlayer.exe. But I cannot launch it manually, it's like a command line process, and I think it opens the final URL of the audio file, being directed  by the Tidal interface (TIDAL.exe). I think it works similarly to UPNP, but everything running locally.

I was already enjoying the sound quality, but I started to play with the process priority and I noticed how much the audio is improved but changing the priority. I manually changed to Realtime and, BOOM, what a change! I changed to Low, Normal, High and Realtime to play with it and evaluate the differences.

I actually could hear the difference between each one. The detail and presence of lows and highs, and also the punch of the drums. Well, when I keep TIDALPlayer.exe on Realtime (even not having its exclusive core to run by affinity) the audio quality is absolutely amazing.

The problem is that I keep having to set it manually from time to time. Sometimes if I pause the audio on Tidal player or change the album/playlist, or change between ASIO4ALL/JPLAY on ASIO BRIDGE, the TIDALPlayer.exe returns to low priority. I checked the PID and is still the same, so it's not ending and starting again.

How can I tell Fidelizer to keep TIDALPlayer.exe on Realtime without using an external application like Process Lasso?

Some software are great with realtime that's no doubt about. But some programs with certain output types may have playback issues at that level. So setting to High is like safer ground. By the way, does Tidal has startup application now? Some of Tidal processes shouldn't have low priority if run after Fidelizer optimizations. I may need to add Tidal into next fixes.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Aug 1, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #250 of 439

Some software are great with realtime that's no doubt about. But some programs with certain output types may have playback issues at that level. So setting to High is like safer ground. By the way, does Tidal has startup application now? Some of Tidal processes shouldn't have low priority if run after Fidelizer optimizations. I may need to add Tidal into next fixes.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Yes, Tidal has a Windows application that is much like the browser version, but allows WASAPI exclusive mode to DAC and other things. The problem is that after launching TIDAL, there are 4 TIDAL.exe processes and 1 TIDALPlayer.exe (which really matters). My guess was that there were no Fidelizer optimizations to this specific player (and its peculiar behaviour), as a little time back the webplayer was the only option... And that you could include this feature on the next release :)

Well, I really feel the subtle extra richness switching from High to Realtime and there are no issues on the playback with my system. This is finally the first time I can feel I'm inside the recording studio. Could it be possible to choose realtime/high priority by a checkbox on the next release?

And I still didn't figure what Audio Profile I should use: Audio Render or Audio Player?  It's a single PC for Tidal app + JPLAY driver.

TIDAL app -> ASIO Bridge -> JPLAY driver -> Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC

Thanks

Aug 2, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #251 of 439
On my endless quest for the perfection and to extract the maximum that my DAC can provide, I've done some extensive tests combining different setting of:

- Fidelizer Audio Profile
- TIDAL Process priority (high/realtime)
- JPLAY setting DAC Link
- JPLAY setting PC Buffer

For User Level on Fidelizer, I'm using Audiophile. Although it's a single PC scenario and I use the laptop to work, I just can't go back to Consumer after tasting the optimizations of Audiophile user level  :)

Actually I can feel the slow downs on Windows caused by Audiophile profile only on certain conditions, when there is too much workload of my running programs. It's not that frequent and I can live with that, in the name of the audio transparency I get with Audiophile profile.

I tried a total of 26 combinations, and I ended up with 2 combinations that gives me great sound quality and soundstage:

1) More relaxed sound, excelent soundstage and separation, recording studio feeling
- Fidelizer Audio Profile: Audio Player
- TIDAL Process priority: High
- JPLAY setting DAC Link: 170 Hz
- JPLAY setting PC Buffer: 0.02 seconds

2) Punchier bass, a little more detailed and textured instruments & vocals, very near but still very opened (depth and width) soundstage, live concert feeling
- Fidelizer Audio Profile: Network Player
- TIDAL Process priority: Realtime
- JPLAY setting DAC Link: 350 Hz
- JPLAY setting PC Buffer: 0.02 seconds

I'm tending to prefer 2) as the fuller sound allows me to turn up the volume some more and still doesn't "hurt" my listening with exceeding higher end frequencies. For classical music I find it better also, it's a very live and powerful feeling.

Next step is try Proecess Lasso to keep Tidal + Asio bridge on core 2, JPLAY on core 1 and everything elso on cores 0 and 3. I use a non-hyperthreading i7 processor with 4 cores.

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #252 of 439
Sounds interesting. You may consider increasing PC buffer a little bit more to reduce harshness of high frequency too. I guess I'll add TIDAL into recognized audio apps in case they have background processes in next release.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #253 of 439
Hi guys. It’s me again. I’m going to visit Hong Kong AV Show 2016 tomorrow. Before the day of departure, I noticed start menu on my desktop’s PC looks slightly different. So I checked the news and found Windows 10 AE ships out now.

As usual, I’m going to test Fidelizer on newly updated Windows 10 platform and give my report about sound performance and system’s stability. So far system looks pretty stable and slightly smoother than before. There’s no audio glitch with optimized audio playback configuration with or without Fidelizer. But it’s just from my hardware alone so please let me know if you find something unusual on your system.

I also recommend to re-apply Fidelizer Pro installation after update IMMEDIATELY because it shocked me so bad how terrible the sound was after updating. My friend who listened to music few hrs ago could immediately tell it got worse with more sterile sound. I re-applied Fidelizer Pro optimizations and it’s all good again now.

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #254 of 439
I'm using also the Fidelizer Free for myself. And i've noticed that the sound gets fuller, more organic and the difference between my Concero HD and Realtek Onboard sound gets even more enhanced with Fidelizer.
I always turn it on when i start Windows 10.
So yeah, nice product you developed there WindowsX.

Aug 6, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #255 of 439
  I'm using also the Fidelizer Free for myself. And i've noticed that the sound gets fuller, more organic and the difference between my Concero HD and Realtek Onboard sound gets even more enhanced with Fidelizer.
I always turn it on when i start Windows 10.
So yeah, nice product you developed there WindowsX.

Glad to hear you like it and happy listening. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back