Fidelio X1 vs Anything Less Than $300
Jun 22, 2013 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Trunks159

Headphoneus Supremus
The x1 is looking pretty good right now, as I can't find any bad impressions on them. There aren't too many (open) options in this price range that have neutral bass. I was thinking just getting the sr80i (again) and something else. Any advice? All closed headphones seem to have let me down when dealing with rock. Closed cans just aren't airy enough to separate all the instruments.

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 13
The X1 is really bass heavy, so I wouldn't call it neutral. They do it very well though. The bass is detailed enough and the rest of the spectrum is great as well. They very punchy though. Bass cannons 

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 13
I really like my V-Moda M-100's for rock/metal, actually. They have surprisingly good instrument separation. Also, despite their reputation, I don't find them to be super bassy. They are very well extended but they have no where near the quantity of the X1. The M-100's are also very punchy. I don't think anything can beat my MS1000's though for these genres. Grado's just own this realm IMO.

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 13
You might want to consider the HE-400 too. You can get a used one on the FS forum for around $325. They are bright and dark simultaneously. My favorite for sure :)

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #10 of 13
The HE-400 has a very very linear region through the mids and down through sub bass. However, the upper mids/lower treble region has a dip in the frequency response. They make up for it by having a big spike in the 8kHz to 10kHz region. This makes them a very bright headphone in that the highs are crystal clear and are in contrast to the quiet upper mids.

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #12 of 13
the X1 is not a bad can, but makes them a no go is: no spare parts what so ever. Confirmed with their tech-support. If your pads are worn out... you'll really have to improvise. This said, they are more neutral then most cans around, and the bass bump is not massive at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back