FH5, FA7, or another IEM?
Mar 23, 2019 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Gront

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm looking to upgrade from my SE215 SPEs and I've had my eyes on FiiO's latest ~$300 offerings. I mostly listen to older metal albums (Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, etc) and sythwave albums (Carpenter Brut, Gunship).

I'm not really sure which one would fit my preferences better... I use a FiiO BTR1 paired to my phone, looking to get a FiiO BTR3, ES100, or M5 (When it comes out) in the future. I did take a look at the DM6 but some say the highs are too harsh and introduce sibilance, I'm really sensitive to sibilance so I think I'll pass on the DM6.

Should I just save up and wait for the FH7s?

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.

Mar 23, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #3 of 7
I own and enjoy both very much (FH5 and FA7). Both sound very well and your preferences can play an important role here.
FH5 has the more powerful subbass of the dynamic driver / S.Turbo Tech + more spacious sound and more energetic treble.
FA7 has fuller sounding midrange overall, with tighter bass and softer treble. There's a wonderful sense of precision in its sound without being too analytical.
If isolation is a top priority for you, FA7 is the one with higher isolation between this two.

Hope this helps,
Me x3

Mar 24, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 7
I own and enjoy both very much (FH5 and FA7). Both sound very well and your preferences can play an important role here.
FH5 has the more powerful subbass of the dynamic driver / S.Turbo Tech + more spacious sound and more energetic treble.
FA7 has fuller sounding midrange overall, with tighter bass and softer treble. There's a wonderful sense of precision in its sound without being too analytical.
If isolation is a top priority for you, FA7 is the one with higher isolation between this two.

Hope this helps,
Me x3

Thank you, I think I'll go for the FH5 for now. I do like a more energetic treble. Although the FA7 looks much more attractive to me, looks are secondary to sound haha. I did hear the FH7s are coming out in a month or two so I may hold out for that, 4 BA + 1 huge DD.

Mar 24, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 7
Thank you, I think I'll go for the FH5 for now. I do like a more energetic treble. Although the FA7 looks much more attractive to me, looks are secondary to sound haha. I did hear the FH7s are coming out in a month or two so I may hold out for that, 4 BA + 1 huge DD.

FH7 are coming out by the end of June (449usd in the United States)

Mar 25, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 7
I also own both the FH5 and FA7, and @Me x3 summed them up very nicely. I'll add that comfort is another key factor, both are very comfortable, at least for me, but I find the FA7 better with sound isolation due to the deeper insertion - this is important depending on where you will listen to them. For example, when I travel on a plane I use the FA7. But in a quiet location and when I want the "extra bass" depending on the music, I'll listen to the FH5. It will be interesting to see how the new FH7 fits and it's insertion compared to the FH5.

Mar 26, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 7
I also own both the FH5 and FA7, and @Me x3 summed them up very nicely. I'll add that comfort is another key factor, both are very comfortable, at least for me, but I find the FA7 better with sound isolation due to the deeper insertion - this is important depending on where you will listen to them. For example, when I travel on a plane I use the FA7. But in a quiet location and when I want the "extra bass" depending on the music, I'll listen to the FH5. It will be interesting to see how the new FH7 fits and it's insertion compared to the FH5.

I heard that it will have a longer nozzle like the FA7s. I ordered a pair of CCA C10 chi-fis for now to satisfy my itch for a new headphone, will wait for the FH7s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back