Originally Posted by AC7
Radioshack got them for 13 dollars.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=64%2D2991

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyskraper
been there done that, a $5 heat gun is worth the investment. even a hair dryer or hot plate is better then a cigarette lighter.

Just makin' a point. I use a cigarette lighter for quickies when I don't feel like pulling out my air welder - I mean heat gun. I have to be careful not to melt the wire and sleeving with it. Or my hand.

May 31, 2005 at 8:06 AM Post #18 of 20
soldering iron, pair of side cutters and a packing knife/razor (for the canare insulation) and a pair of needlnose pliers will get you a long way in cable DIY.

Everything else is just a luxury

and x2 on the csi soldering station. can't beat it for the price, and pay 15$ more and you get get the free multimeter, as stated.

May 31, 2005 at 8:23 AM Post #19 of 20
Something useful when making cables is an object with RCA jacks (an old or unused player or amplifier works). Use it to hold the RCA plugs in position while you fit the wires and solder.. Ditto for mini-plugs & jacks..

The kitchen stove works fine for heatshrink. Just keep the cable at least 10cm (4") away from the flame...

May 31, 2005 at 8:53 AM Post #20 of 20
I use a gold rca adapter form radio shack, and plug the conenctor into it prior to soldering, and it acts as a heat sink and totally prevents the signal pin from deviating from its initial location if the dielectric in the connector is low temp. I then clamp the adapter to some helping hands. Those aligator clips are dangerous
smily_headphones1.gif

I use an 8 awg wire stripper from the canare star quad, it perfectly removes the jacket while leaving the shield untouched. then I move down to the 10 awg notch and it removed the shield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back