Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #856 of 1,259
Just in case you haven't noticed, there is following warning on Ferrum website:

"WANDLA FIRMWARE VERSION 1.3.0 REVOKED
Due to instabilities in WANDLA operation occurring in firmware v1.3.0 provided with new devices, please downgrade firmware to version 1.2.2 using Ferrum Control application. We are currently working on a fix and new firmware will be available for all WANDLA's owners as soon as possible."
yes, i was feeling that would happen... it´s third time that the wandla freezes doing a pitch whining sound!! i'm waking up and seeing this... doing some burn in on new iems, pleasant not to have them in my ears when this happens!!!

Also freezes occur now and then.. and after you restart the stack when you play a song again the first 30 seconds has some cuts until it stabilized.. doing the downgrade than! Thanks! have missed this.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #857 of 1,259
The issue is completly non present if the Wanlda with 1.3.0 is turned off rather then put into standby.
Been using it this way for two whole days without any freeze.

The freezing just occurs if the Wandla with 1.3.0 is in standby over night and then used after that.

Of course downgrading is also an option.
Also in play happen to me at least once, and take with that whining sound! so downgrade for me!

Mar 23, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #858 of 1,259
Picked up a Wandla/Hypsos recently and had a question for those of you with a Hypsos. Does your Hypsos make any transformer noise? Mine definitely is exhibiting some transformer hum/buzz and just wanted to check with others to see if it's normal or what the threshold would be to determine if it requires servicing or not. I use open-back cans so ambient noise floor is a big deal for me.

Otherwise the Wandla seems pretty decent, haven't had much time with it so far but it doesn't seem too much better than my trusty ol' Cayin iDAC-6 mk2. The Cayin is much more full sounding with quite a bit more bass & mid-bass presence, the Wandla is thinner & more ethereal sounding with a deeper soundstage, slightly more refined treble (microdetail). Imaging seems comparable. They both use ESS chips with custom I/V stage. Need to do more listening and set up a proper A/B with the 2nd input on my Bliss.

@GoldenSound do you know if we'll be able to "stack" the Spatial Enhancement & Impact+ features or will it be an either/or scenario? Very interested in hearing what kind of improvements these can bring to the Wandla.

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:47 AM Post #859 of 1,259
Picked up a Wandla/Hypsos recently and had a question for those of you with a Hypsos. Does your Hypsos make any transformer noise? Mine definitely is exhibiting some transformer hum/buzz and just wanted to check with others to see if it's normal or what the threshold would be to determine if it requires servicing or not. I use open-back cans so ambient noise floor is a big deal for me.

Otherwise the Wandla seems pretty decent, haven't had much time with it so far but it doesn't seem too much better than my trusty ol' Cayin iDAC-6 mk2. The Cayin is much more full sounding with quite a bit more bass & mid-bass presence, the Wandla is thinner & more ethereal sounding with a deeper soundstage, slightly more refined treble (microdetail). Imaging seems comparable. They both use ESS chips with custom I/V stage. Need to do more listening and set up a proper A/B with the 2nd input on my Bliss.

@GoldenSound do you know if we'll be able to "stack" the Spatial Enhancement & Impact+ features or will it be an either/or scenario? Very interested in hearing what kind of improvements these can bring to the Wandla.

After owning the HYPSOS for nearly two years, I’ve recently started to hear the transformer hum/buzz.

Mar 24, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #861 of 1,259
Picked up a Wandla/Hypsos recently and had a question for those of you with a Hypsos. Does your Hypsos make any transformer noise? Mine definitely is exhibiting some transformer hum/buzz and just wanted to check with others to see if it's normal or what the threshold would be to determine if it requires servicing or not. I use open-back cans so ambient noise floor is a big deal for me
Transformer noise isn't caused by the transformers themselves but rather high mains THD or DC offset.

This causes the transformer core to saturate and then vibrate.

You can try getting a mains DC blocker to see if that fixes it. If its high THD then you'll need a regenerator to address it.

Unfortunately bad power in some areas can be a challenge and cause linear PSUs to hum audibly.
@GoldenSound do you know if we'll be able to "stack" the Spatial Enhancement & Impact+ features or will it be an either/or scenario? Very interested in hearing what kind of improvements these can bring to the Wandla
Yep! We made sure that all the features can be stacked and enabled/disabled as desired

Mar 25, 2024 at 5:21 AM Post #862 of 1,259
Transformer noise isn't caused by the transformers themselves but rather high mains THD or DC offset.

This causes the transformer core to saturate and then vibrate.

You can try getting a mains DC blocker to see if that fixes it. If its high THD then you'll need a regenerator to address it.

Unfortunately bad power in some areas can be a challenge and cause linear PSUs to hum audibly.
Thanks I'll give it a shot, I don't recall any other instances where I could hear transformer noise in this or previous setups but I just ordered an iFi DC Blocker, we'll see what happens. I am on a shared 15A circuit now, maybe it's worth relocating one of my separate & dedicated 20A receptacles closer so I can use it for my HP system. Wonder if that alone could help to alleviate it.

Yep! We made sure that all the features can be stacked and enabled/disabled as desired
Very cool thanks for the confirmation! Any idea when the GSE firmware will go live?

Mar 25, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #863 of 1,259
I got the final version of the Wandla GS in recently. Will be sharing measurements soon :)

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #867 of 1,259
Mar 28, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #868 of 1,259
Thanks I'll give it a shot, I don't recall any other instances where I could hear transformer noise in this or previous setups but I just ordered an iFi DC Blocker, we'll see what happens. I am on a shared 15A circuit now, maybe it's worth relocating one of my separate & dedicated 20A receptacles closer so I can use it for my HP system. Wonder if that alone could help to alleviate it.
Received the iFi DC Blocker and unfortunately it did nothing to alleviate the buzz/hum. I don't think it's mains THD either. My Bliss doesn't make noise, my iDAC-6 makes no noise and none of my other gear that has passed through has made any noise either. Might try moving the Hypsos around to different circuits this weekend but something tells me the noise will still persist. Fingers crossed I can get this solved, might be a deal breaker for me.

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:11 AM Post #869 of 1,259
Received the iFi DC Blocker and unfortunately it did nothing to alleviate the buzz/hum. I don't think it's mains THD either. My Bliss doesn't make noise, my iDAC-6 makes no noise and none of my other gear that has passed through has made any noise either. Might try moving the Hypsos around to different circuits this weekend but something tells me the noise will still persist. Fingers crossed I can get this solved, might be a deal breaker for me.
Does the character of the mechanical hum change under loads/different output voltages?

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #870 of 1,259
Does the character of the mechanical hum change under loads/different output voltages?
It seems to remain constant. I just tried 3 other circuits, 2 of which are dedicated 20A breakers with nothing else connected. Still no luck taming the noise.

The thought of spending another $2k+ on a regenerator just to get rid of my Hypsos' hum doesn't fill me with joy. It would seem to make more sense to take that money and put it towards a better DAC if it gets to that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back