Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #841 of 1,222
I'll be using the wandla with its usb input whenever Headphones.com starts sending out the goldy edition. Would it be worth using a galvanic isolator between it and the PC?
Would also be interested in that question.

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #842 of 1,222
The newer units with HW 4.0 seem to ship with it. Do you have the option to switch between Pro and Red Book under Audio -> DAC Out Standard? I think they added the ability to switch between those via HW in 4.0, so the Max Output voltage gets capped at either 4.0V or 9.75V without analog/digital attenuation.
My HW is 3.0. FW 1.2.0
It either stops playing or only gives a static noise on the left channel at full blast.
That’s so scary 😬 I’m using a speaker amp with my heapdhones 😳

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #843 of 1,222
My HW is 3.0. FW 1.2.0

That’s so scary 😬 I’m using a speaker amp with my heapdhones 😳
Well they about to be paying for busted drivers with faulty dangerous firmware. Worse, hearing damage lawsuits.

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #844 of 1,222
Well they about to be paying for busted drivers with faulty dangerous firmware. Worse, hearing damage lawsuits.
As I understand, only people with Wandlas like mine, which shipped with FW 1.3.0 seem to have the issue.

I am sure Ferrum/HEM will address the issue via a FW update once they get notice of it.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #845 of 1,222
Just to let you guys know Ferrum is working on tackling the freezing issue right now as a priority. Release of the GoldenSound Edition conversion may be a week or two pushed back but that's cause this takes priority :thumbsup:

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #848 of 1,222
Awesome! Thanks! That’s why I chose Ferrum. They are living in the present 2024 and the customer service is top notch!
Can’t agree more!

As a temporary fix for people like me with 1.3.0: just dont put the unit into standby but rather turn it off by unplugging it from power.
This seems to mitigate the issue for me.
Maybe a memory leak in the FW or something, happens fast from my experience.

I wanted to give my impression about the actual SQ of the Wanlda, as I have had it for a week now.

Previous DAC was a Violectric V850.
I also have access to a DX320 Max Ti and a Questyle Twelve Master.

Compared to V850, Wandla is just simply put a much more capable DAC in every regard.

It puts more space between the notes, everything just sounds more at ease and "natural" (for lack of better terms) while being more detailed, but without forcing the detail.
V850 tonally is warmer sounding but much more conjested and busy sounding at the same time. This can introduce a fatigue, even if the V850 is tonally warm.
It's quite strange actually how the Wandla manages to be more balanced/neutral, detailed, less conjested sounding while still not introuducing any kind of fatiuge or sense of being unrealistic in some way.

The Twelve Master also really can't compete with modern TOTL DAC offerings. Compared to Wandla, tonally it can come accross as sterrile depending on the headphone it is paired with. Detail wise, it is better then the V850 but not by much and certainly can't match Wandla.
Really not much to say about the Questyles DAC, it is really quite unremarkable nowdays when compared to TOTL stuff. Soundstage presentation is also average.
Its a shame the Twelve Master has no analog inputs, as I think the AMP in it is the real treasure here.

Comparing Wandla to DX320 Max Ti, DX320 Max Ti is much more forward in the regard of presenting detail, it wants you to pay attention to the details in a mix and wows you with its technical capabillities. Tonally, its not warm like V850, but definelty a little cooler then Wandla. I wouldn't say DX320 has more detail then Wandla, but it just presents it more directly, which is a little unnatural but may be just what some are looking for.
For a DAP, its performance is absolutly mindblowing IMHO. Presentation wise, I prefere the Wandlas more natural approach but the DX320 still is a great value IMHO, as it gives you a very good portable DAC/standalone streamer.

I will do a follow up and compare the Wandla to my friends May Level 2 using his Envy. Cant wait for it :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 4:03 AM Post #849 of 1,222
Just to let you guys know Ferrum is working on tackling the freezing issue right now as a priority. Release of the GoldenSound Edition conversion may be a week or two pushed back but that's cause this takes priority :thumbsup:
Thanks for the info. I have experienced frozen unit two times so far on my Wandla (unresponsive touch screen and no sound, resolved by power ON/OFF).
Do you have any info what firmware will be adressing this issue? It seems that 1.2.2. is not yet the one. Will the solution be included in upcomming public release 1.3.0 or still under 1.2.X?

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #850 of 1,222
I will do a follow up and compare the Wandla to my friends May Level 2 using his Envy. Cant wait for it :wink:

The friend needs to figure out first, how to set up HQPlayer with the exact the same filters that are used on Wandla so we can do a proper A/B.

Is there a list of filters that are used in Wandla that are in HQplayer and which exact setting should be used in HQP?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #851 of 1,222
I believe always upsampling to 384/352,8khz, filters are the handful that you can choose on the Wandla interface.

But it would also be interesting to have an A/B comparison of the stock configuration, no HQPlayer, because that’s how they come out the box.
The friend needs to figure out first, how to set up HQPlayer with the exact the same filters that are used on Wandla so we can do a proper A/B.

Is there a list of filters that are used in Wandla that are in HQplayer and which exact setting should be used in HQP?

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:58 AM Post #852 of 1,222
But it would also be interesting to have an A/B comparison of the stock configuration, no HQPlayer, because that’s how they come out the box.
Dont see how this would make any sense, would be bit of comparing apples with oranges.. Wandla doesnt have a NOS mode or does it?

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #853 of 1,222
Dont see how this would make any sense, would be bit of comparing apples with oranges.. Wandla doesnt have a NOS mode or does it?
I don't think it has a "super slow" or "NoS" or "bypass" but it's possible with this ESS chip after a certain rate you bypass the chip when placed in default filters (above 384 khz)
Perhaps someone who knows more about the chip can answer. This is what's strange when people use HQP filters on Delta Sigma DAC's and end up double modulating/filtering the signal without a by-pass mode requiring external modulation and reconstruction filters.

Mar 22, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #854 of 1,222
Just in case you haven't noticed, there is following warning on Ferrum website:

"WANDLA FIRMWARE VERSION 1.3.0 REVOKED
Due to instabilities in WANDLA operation occurring in firmware v1.3.0 provided with new devices, please downgrade firmware to version 1.2.2 using Ferrum Control application. We are currently working on a fix and new firmware will be available for all WANDLA's owners as soon as possible."

Mar 22, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #855 of 1,222
Just in case you haven't noticed, there is following warning on Ferrum website:

"WANDLA FIRMWARE VERSION 1.3.0 REVOKED
Due to instabilities in WANDLA operation occurring in firmware v1.3.0 provided with new devices, please downgrade firmware to version 1.2.2 using Ferrum Control application. We are currently working on a fix and new firmware will be available for all WANDLA's owners as soon as possible."
The issue is completly non present if the Wanlda with 1.3.0 is turned off rather then put into standby.
Been using it this way for two whole days without any freeze.

The freezing just occurs if the Wandla with 1.3.0 is in standby over night and then used after that.

Of course downgrading is also an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back