Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Oct 18, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #5,806 of 6,413
I'm having issues with both my fxa7, which I bought used off of reverb (just buds alone) and my brand new fxa2. Both keeps losing connection. None of my aftermarket cables work right with the fxa7. One of them works with the fxa2 but every now and then, if I turn my head a certain way the sound would cut out briefly. These are terribly made connectors. I'm going to contact fender.

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #5,807 of 6,413
I'm having issues with both my fxa7, which I bought used off of reverb (just buds alone) and my brand new fxa2. Both keeps losing connection. None of my aftermarket cables work right with the fxa7. One of them works with the fxa2 but every now and then, if I turn my head a certain way the sound would cut out briefly. These are terribly made connectors. I'm going to contact fender.

Do your aftermarket cables have memory wire in them? Ive experienced this as well on my FXA7's as well with aftermarket cables, but I changed the direction the wire was bent around the ear. You want the memory wire to be on the outside or the side of the cable when its bent to shape your ear. Ive found that if its on the inside, then the wire is more prone to cutting out. Its weird cos its only with these FX headphones. I don't have this problem with my 2-pin AS2.5's at all...

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #5,808 of 6,413

Makes you wonder why they switched from 2-pin to mmcx when Fender bought Aurisonics...
Bad bad decision...

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #5,809 of 6,413
I switched cables from my LZ A3S which doesn't have memory wire and it works perfect, good quality cable too. I'm going to buy some new cables without memory wire. These fender earphones have me frustrated. I wonder if they check these threads. I also wonder if they stand behind their products.

Oct 18, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #5,810 of 6,413
I switched cables from my LZ A3S which doesn't have memory wire and it works perfect, good quality cable too. I'm going to buy some new cables without memory wire. These fender earphones have me frustrated. I wonder if they check these threads. I also wonder if they stand behind their products.

I wouldn't necessarily to say that you HAVE to get cables without memory wire, just be careful which direction their being bent. I have aftermarket cables with memory wire and they work perfect every time. But hey, if you can stand cables without memory wire, then be my guest. Lol. I gotta have it or else it'll frustrate me cos if the cable is too stiff, you can never really get it to stay behind your ear all the time.

And Aurisonics actually switched to the MMCX connector type in their Bravo line. This was before they were bought out by Fender. Now, it could very well be that they did that as a test line in preparation for the company buyout... Who knows.

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #5,812 of 6,413

I had purchased an fxa2 from Amazon and had the same issue. The sound would cut in and out just from moving my head slightly, even just chewing gum sometime. I'm pretty confident it was an issue with the connection between the cable and the earbud. While firmly pressing in the cable and rotating it helped, i was also surprised that the issue actually improved over time with use. However, after trying to reach out to Fender with no good response I ended up returning it.

In regards to the sound quality, I found that it had both big strengths and weaknesses. It had a sound that I would describe as very dynamic. It made it sound amazing (particularly relative to price and components) for very select songs, but ultimately I listen to a wide range of genres and it just wasn't well rounded enough for me.

In regards to cons, I found that the overall frequency response didn't seem to be smoothly integrated, which may partly be a limitation of only two drivers, and partly due to the fit. I had a really hard time getting these to sit properly, and they were fairly heavy and bulky (especially considering the amount of drivers), but can be comfortable when you finally get them in the right spot. The sound was noticeably better when I would press on the earbuds while listening, and it may just be they just didn't work for my particular ears, but even when they seemed to be fitting good and snug, there was the same issue. Also of note, it was very sensitive to eq'ing, and not in a good way.

I ended up replacing it with a Promo 8 I got from massdrop for about the same cost and have zero regrets. However, there were hints of greatness, and I would be very intrigued to try one of their higher end models. I would just strongly recommend trying before you buy if possible.

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #5,813 of 6,413
I had purchased an fxa2 from Amazon and had the same issue. The sound would cut in and out just from moving my head slightly, even just chewing gum sometime. I'm pretty confident it was an issue with the connection between the cable and the earbud. While firmly pressing in the cable and rotating it helped, i was also surprised that the issue actually improved over time with use. However, after trying to reach out to Fender with no good response I ended up returning it.

In regards to the sound quality, I found that it had both big strengths and weaknesses. It had a sound that I would describe as very dynamic. It made it sound amazing (particularly relative to price and components) for very select songs, but ultimately I listen to a wide range of genres and it just wasn't well rounded enough for me.

In regards to come, and trying not to get into too much detail, the overall frequency response was not very smoothly tied together, which may partly be a limitation of only two drivers, and partly due to the fit. I had a really hard time getting these to sit properly, and they were fairly heavy and bulky (relatively), but can be comfortable when you finally get them in the right spot. The sound was noticeably better when I would press on the earbuds while listening, and it may just be they just didn't work for my particular ears, but even when they seemed to be fitting really good, there was the same issue. Also of note, it was very sensitive to eq'ing, which again may be due to the amount of drivers.

I ended up replacing it with a Promo 8 I got from massdrop for about the same cost and have zero regrets. However, there hints of greatness, and I would be very intrigued to try one of their higher end models. I would just strongly recommend trying before you buy if possible.

The fxa7 is much better than fxa2. I've mainly been listening to the fxa7 but when I put the fxa2 on right after, I immediately notice something's missing. The bass and treble is good on the fxa2, it's the mids that are missing compared to the fxa7. I only bought the fxa2 because I got the fxa7 used, just the earbuds alone, no cable, tips, case etc. I use the accessories of the 2 with the fxa7. I've found that cables without memory wire give me no problems whatsoever.

On that note, anyone want to purchase brand new fxa2, just earbuds alone, no cable, tips, case, pm me. I might be able to throw in a cable and some tips. I don't have any cases though.

Oct 19, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #5,814 of 6,413

Makes you wonder why they switched from 2-pin to mmcx when Fender bought Aurisonics...
Bad bad decision...

They were MMCXi before Fender got involved mate. My Aurisonics Harmony has them and I can see me having issues with them so yeah, the 2 pin would have been way better.

Oct 19, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #5,816 of 6,413
Well, based on that logic I guess that makes it acceptable. I think not.
OK to play it safe. MOST are having this issue. To play it safer MANY.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/819706/fidue-a83-mmcx-connector-issue

Oct 19, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #5,817 of 6,413

The fxa7 is much better than fxa2. I've mainly been listening to the fxa7 but when I put the fxa2 on right after, I immediately notice something's missing. The bass and treble is good on the fxa2, it's the mids that are missing compared to the fxa7. I only bought the fxa2 because I got the fxa7 used, just the earbuds alone, no cable, tips, case etc. I use the accessories of the 2 with the fxa7. I've found that cables without memory wire give me no problems whatsoever.

On that note, anyone want to purchase brand new fxa2, just earbuds alone, no cable, tips, case, pm me. I might be able to throw in a cable and some tips. I don't have any cases though.

Funny that you say the mids are whats more present in the FXA7 than the FXA2. Cos to me its the exact opposite. I owned the FXA2 for a little while before returning it for the FXA7 and I noticed that it definitely had more mids, but the refinement wasn't there... It sounded a little muddy. But I was using the stock cable. Not sure if using an aftermarket cable would help clean it up.

Anyway, if you wanna hear good solid mids, take a listen to the ASG2.5. You'll see what I mean when you compare it side by side to the FXA7.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #5,820 of 6,413
I used an aftermarket balanced cable for the fxa7. With this cable, it definitely has mids, lush mids at that. I really didn't listen to fxa2 long, as soon as I put the on after fxa7 I noticed a step down. Fxa2 seemed like the highs were more pronounced, maybe they mask the mids. This is with stock fxa2 cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back