Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
May 15, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #3,331 of 6,413
Quote:
^^ well, they did add two drivers and I'm sure they changed the tuning of the dynamic slightly to complement the BAs.

Some notes:
1. Either the iPhone (4s) is a worse source than I thought, or the synergy with the ASG-1 is not very good. It seems to showcase all of it's flaws.

2. If anyone has a neutral source with a high output impedence, try it with the ASG-1. It's kind of fun. I know dynamics are said to be generally unaffected by output impedance but the ASG-1 most certainly is.

I auditioned the ASG-2 when I saw Dale, so I did hear the two additional tweeters :p...  Our impressions of the treble are about opposite each other. That's also where I picked up the ASG-1.3 :wink:

May 15, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #3,334 of 6,413
ASG-2 vs ER4S

Comparisons are done on a Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII. 

Bass: On the lowest bass setting the ASG-2 still has more bass than the ER4S. The lowest setting sounds similar to GR07 bass quantity from what I remember, although slightly less. This lowest setting will be the setting for the rest of the comparison. The G-2's bass isn't as clearly defined or as tight as the 4S. The decay is longer, and so bass notes meld into each other more than on the ER4S, although probably not more than the GR07. This elevated G-2 bass affects the mids slightly, accentuating lower mids compared to the 4S. There are, however, other things going on in the mids and upper-mids that set these two iems apart.

Mids: The lower mids are more accentuated on the G-2, resulting in a warmer vocal compared to the 4S. But things start to change as we move up the frequency range. While the G-2 curves downward, the 4S curves upward, leaving the 4S with overall much more forward mids. I picture an FR chart of the G-2 to have a slight dip from 2kHz to 4kHz, simliar to the GR07. So, vocals on the G-2 tend towards warmer than the ER4S not only because of the G-2's accentuated bass, but also because of the upward curve of the mids on the ER4S.

As for details, the G-2 doesn't make vocal nuances as apparent as the ER4S, but this could be due largely in part to quieter vocals on the G-2. 

Treble: Treble is more difficult to assess. It does have a peak ~8kHz compared to the 4S's slight dip, but it is very similar in quantity to the ER4S overall, although I'd say the G-2 has a bit more. I believe the G-2's dip in the mids/upper-mids results in a more forward sounding treble comparatively. Since the mids/upper-mids of the ER4S is accentuated, treble of the same quantity won't sound as forward. What this means is that sibilance is slightly more accentuated on the G-2, as are loud cymbal crashes and snare drums.

But the quality and detail of the G-2's treble are very close to the 4S, although not as linear imo. Animal Collective's Brother Sport has a lot of complex sounds competing in the treble, and each sound was clearly delineated to my ears on the G-2, a feat the GR07 failed. 

Overall Sound: The ASG-2 is not as linear as the ER4S. There are dips and peaks on the G-2 that do not exist on the 4S. Imaging, however, is just as good as the ER4. Layering and instrument separation are about equal, although they go about it in different ways. The slightly elevated treble and bass of the G-2 help to define individual instruments in their respective frequencies, while the ER4 uses driver speed and short decay times to define instrument separation. The ER4 sounds smoother as a result, and perhaps a bit more detailed, although not quite as layered, an effect of these iems' different approaches to imaging.

To give a better example, a cymbal and a low bass note on the G-2 will sound more pronounced than on the ER4, and the difference between them will be greater on the G-2. The same cymbal and low bass note are less pronounced on the ER4, and the smaller difference between the two sounds results in a bit less instrument separation, and the smoother sound I hear on the ER4.  

I've reported my findings as objectively as possible, and will leave it up to the reader to make value judgements accordingly (although I'm sure I'll make plenty later in this thread).

Build: Build quality is flawless. This is the black rhodium plated ASG-2 with bass port and black cable. No microphonics. The cable is one of the best I've ever used, much better than the ER4S. The shells weigh less than I expected, only slightly heavier than the ER4. 

May 15, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #3,335 of 6,413
Finally, some eye candy. It's really all I care about, screw the sound :D

wait, are those your pics? You said you have the black rhodium? 

May 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #3,339 of 6,413
Gnarl you should keep your ears peeled in 100+hrs. Burn in does a number on these. I won't say it completely changes the sig, but the sound becomes more refined and smooth. 

Just a heads up. :)

May 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #3,341 of 6,413
Quote:

Gnarl you should keep your ears peeled in 100+hrs. Burn in does a number on these. I won't say it completely changes the sig, but the sound becomes more refined and smooth. 
Just a heads up. :)

Hey kyuuketsuki, What happened to the skeptic in you? I see nothing but pure belief here.

I can vouch from my experience with the AS-2 and the AS-1 that the driver/sound signature gets more refined and smooth after a good amount of burn in has occurred. 

Those are some sweet pics gnarls. I thought the ASG-2's come with that stuff only on the S series

EDIT:
Will the upgrade program allow us to get the black rhodium?

I hope I'm not out of line for replying to this but while I cannot remember the exact wording, I believe the facebook post on the Aurisonics page mentioned that only the aesthetic upgrades they stated in their post would be a part of their upgrade program. I recommend you read over their post for the details and then check out the comments on the post to see if this question was asked/answered.

May 15, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #3,342 of 6,413
Will the upgrade program allow us to get the black rhodium?

I think Dale mentioned just Frosted and Stealth. I'm sure you can add the rhodium plates down the line though. Doesn't hurt to shoot them a message I guess

May 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #3,343 of 6,413
Ah I figure as much then. Is the stealth worth the $100? Cuz I mean it seems people had some problems with the paint chipping off. Not sure if I should go for it, but I really hate that the frost turns yellow when using it outside.

May 15, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #3,344 of 6,413
I dunno. I think the Rhodium plates are really pricey due to the rarity of the metal. The metal plates are certainly more durable than a paint finish I'd wager. I'd inquire with Aurisonics as to how much the plates are. I think they're in the $300-400 ballpark

BTW, great impressions GnarlSagan. The G-2 sounds like quite the capable phone

May 16, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #3,345 of 6,413
Quote:
Ah I figure as much then. Is the stealth worth the $100? Cuz I mean it seems people had some problems with the paint chipping off. Not sure if I should go for it, but I really hate that the frost turns yellow when using it outside.

[size=10pt]I only know of two people thus far with a paint issue on the Stealth out of hundreds so far. Jpmilner and kenman345 were both early adopters of that finish. Jpmilner uses them every day for long periods of time. We have not got them back yet to even know what came off and why and kenman345 had a one of the first sets that was experimental in nature. He has the latest finish now and I don't think he has had any issues with it. The frosted clear shells are now coated with a UV protectant which should diminish the effects of yellowing in the sun. I would not ever leave any IEM in the sun anyway.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back