Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Dec 9, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #2,371 of 6,413
Does the materials make a difference in sound? And please Dale, do not extend it over Jan 2013. 
redface.gif

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #2,372 of 6,413
as to the free kit, it mentions on the their website, that you can bring those materials in to the audiologist and let him use the materials that you get for free from Aurisonics! might save a few $$'s? I can imagine that the kit that Dale sends you has some better grade goop to use, and instructions for the ear man, just need a pros touch,

that was what I was going to do until I decided to wait for the upgrade with the ASG1's, almost went for a set of the AS-2's? and for a fit would have gotten the free kit and brought it into an audiologist for him to use? well depending on his recomendation also?

anyways to bad so sad, gonna go ahead and wait for the upgrade, I will bite the bullet later on some CIEMs?
cool.gif

Dec 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #2,373 of 6,413
It's an option. The kit is just one of the ways to do things. I can tell you from experience that the "goop" as you call it is high viscosity silicone that is fairly common among audiologists. Some like cotton dams, some don't, but the best impressions you can get for Dale's use in making a CIEM or any of Aurisonics' custom products are recommended that a cotton dam is used for the part that blocks off your ear canal to the "goop". The kit is quite comprehensive, with everything you would need to do it yourself. I am just one that sees no point if you are able to do it, to not get a professional to handle the impressions part. If you're spending the money on CIEM's, just spend the extra money to get some piece of mind about it. I know I would never have gone deep enough if I did it to myself, or had a friend do it to me. The professionals know what they're doing and are the least likely to push it too far as to hurt your ear drums. 

It's a personal choice in the end though
Quote:
as to the free kit, it mentions on the their website, that you can bring those materials in to the audiologist and let him use the materials that you get for free from Aurisonics! might save a few $$'s? I can imagine that the kit that Dale sends you has some better grade goop to use, and instructions for the ear man, just need a pros touch,

that was what I was going to do until I decided to wait for the upgrade with the ASG1's, almost went for a set of the AS-2's? and for a fit would have gotten the free kit and brought it into an audiologist for him to use? well depending on his recomendation also?

anyways to bad so sad, gonna go ahead and wait for the upgrade, I will bite the bullet later on some CIEMs?
cool.gif

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #2,374 of 6,413
Quote:
It's an option. The kit is just one of the ways to do things. I can tell you from experience that the "goop" as you call it is high viscosity silicone that is fairly common among audiologists. Some like cotton dams, some don't, but the best impressions you can get for Dale's use in making a CIEM or any of Aurisonics' custom products are recommended that a cotton dam is used for the part that blocks off your ear canal to the "goop". The kit is quite comprehensive, with everything you would need to do it yourself. I am just one that sees no point if you are able to do it, to not get a professional to handle the impressions part. If you're spending the money on CIEM's, just spend the extra money to get some piece of mind about it. I know I would never have gone deep enough if I did it to myself, or had a friend do it to me. The professionals know what they're doing and are the least likely to push it too far as to hurt your ear drums. 

It's a personal choice in the end though

This - I would be afraid of pushing something too far into my ear.  I'll gladly let someone else take care of it.  I think I have tinnitus anyways so I may as well get everything taken care of at once. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #2,375 of 6,413
Quote:
I have read on this thread differences between their impression kit that you can get for free with purchase vs going to an audiologist,  the main differences being cost and done better by the pros.   I've been to an audiologist for impressions before, its really a no brainer, put the right bit in the mouth, squeeze the fluid in, then wait and don't move.   I still had to send my customs back to JH Audio for refit, and they still never felt comfortable.   So why is a free kit offered from Aurisonics for the AS2 if it doesn't work as well as the pros?( I asked for the free kit) Perhaps Dale could answer this???

[size=10pt]It's not the materials as much as it is the technique used. Not to say anything bad about audiologists as we have a fine group of them that sell our products, however, over the years working with thousands of impressions from a variety of sources I have to say that impressions received from using the kit can be better than those from an audiologist in some cases. The reason why is that a lot of them don't do impressions regularly enough to be good at it and if they mess one up don't want to admit that they messed up and redo it. The kit has everything the pros would use on a normal basis and with a friends help and a good read of the supplied instructions you can get a very nice set of impressions. What the IEM company does to the impression after received can change the fit as well. We do our best not to change the size of the impression or alter it before it is scanned and thus in most cases our fit is very good. On occasion we have a hot spot or a customer that has an issue but it is very rare because of our digital process. Our materials can be shaved down a bit by hand if needed or canal coating added to increase the seal if needed but we do our best to ensure a good fit. All that being said the old adage says junk in junk out, therefore if the impressions are not done well the end product will have the same issue. Our team looks at them carefully before accepting them into production and will reject them if we believe there will be an issue.[/size]

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #2,377 of 6,413
Just make sure your ears are as clean as possible and go see the audiologist. Share your experience so others understand. It's a weird and awkward feeling having that gook in your ear. All of a sudden you hear aboslutely nothing. and you have to stay still. Definitely happy I went to a trained professional. Not too many are aware of CIEM's, but most are aware of hearing aids and hearing protection.
Quote:
This - I would be afraid of pushing something too far into my ear.  I'll gladly let someone else take care of it.  I think I have tinnitus anyways so I may as well get everything taken care of at once. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #2,378 of 6,413
Quote:

If you look at a cutaway view of the skull with the ear canal exposed the eardrum is WAAAAAAAAAYYYYY back there. You would really have to get stupid with something to hit it and the pain you would experince once hitting it would be enought to have you stop before you damaged it. It can vary in how far it is but can normally be around 35mm in to the eardrum not to mention most ears have some pretty sharp bends in them that makes navigation back that far with something straight a bit hard to do.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #2,379 of 6,413
Quote:
Don't understand your statement or question sorry.

I think he was asking if materials (choice, selection, etc) effected the sound.  I'm unsure if he was referring to the faceplate or housings themselves. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #2,381 of 6,413
Quote:
Yes, I was referring to that. Like I've seen how theres the chrome, gold and stealth face plates. And housings too.

[size=medium]Ahh now I get what you are asking, just wanted to be clear.[/size]

[size=medium]The faceplate materials and finishes do not make any noticeable difference (subjectively)  to the overall sound characteristics of the AS-1 or AS-2. There is no difference on a spectrum analyzer between the two either. [/size]

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #2,382 of 6,413
So I'm curious, (if you're able to divulge) with the ASG-1 to 2 upgrade, are modifications being done to the pre existing driver, or is it being swapped for another one that has all the tweaks?

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #2,383 of 6,413
Quote:
So I'm curious, (if you're able to divulge) with the ASG-1 to 2 upgrade, are modifications being done to the pre existing driver, or is it being swapped for another one that has all the tweaks?

You gonna have to wait. I said it was a program. I would not leave an existing driver in place when we have a more refined better performing driver now?

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #2,384 of 6,413
Thanks for clarifying. Granted, I never got the 1.2 upgrade either so I don't know what went into that either. I was always curious about how that worked, especially when looking at the tiny housings, I cant believe that at one point it was meant to house a whole other dynamic driver

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #2,385 of 6,413
Quote:

[size=medium]Ahh now I get what you are asking, just wanted to be clear.[/size]

[size=medium]The faceplate materials and finishes do not make any noticeable difference (subjectively)  to the overall sound characteristics of the AS-1 or AS-2. There is no difference on a spectrum analyzer between the two either. [/size]

Thanks. Will the ASG 2 be the same size as the ASG 1? And are you using that same cable that turns green over time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back