Fellow Ripperologists, check this out
Apr 4, 2009 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

milkweg

Banned
Today I dug out my copy of The Jack The Ripper A to Z encyclopedia and then used google street view to try and find the locations where the murders happened. This is how the locations look today. The one of the Princess Alice pub is where Leather Apron (Jack Pizer) used to drink, he was one of the major suspects.

Wentworth - Google Maps

Princess Alice Pub - Google Maps

Martha Tabram 2nd victim, Gearge Yard (Gunthorpe St.) - Google Maps

Brick Lane+Wentworth, first maybe victim - http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=5...14953271027985

Bucvks Row/Durward St. Mary Ann Nichols - bucks row - Google Maps

Hanbury St. Annie Chapman - bucks row - Google Maps

Dutfields Yard, Elizabeth Stride - bucks row - Google Maps

Mitre Square, Catherine Eddowes - bucks row - Google Maps

Millers Court/Dorset St., May Jane Kelly - bucks row - Google Maps

Apr 4, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 20
Some of the links don't seem to work properly for some reason. Those are the links google gave me when I found them so it is googles fault if they don't work right in your browser. You will see the little man icon on the map and it is supposed to show you a street view of the location of the man icon.

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 20
My brother lives in St. Georges Residence, it's weird to see the tourists stopping as part of the jack the ripper tours.

[size=xx-small]The site of the murder, George Yard is a narrow north-south alley connecting Wentworth Street and Whitechapel High Street. Entrance is gained through Whitechapel High Street, next to The White Hart, by a covered archway. George Yard Buildings were on the eastern side of the alley, near the northern end to the back of Toynbee Hall. Today, the location is called Gunthorpe Street and residential flats stand where George Yard Buildings used to be located[/size]

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 20
I lived in London for a bit but wasn't into Ripperology back then so never took the tour. If I ever go back I might though. It's really too bad a lot of the buildings of the period have been lost due to the German bombings of WWII and such. You ever drink in that Princess Alice pub? That looks pretty much the same on the outside as it did back in 1888. I would definitely go there for a few if I ever go back.

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 20
good stuff, i enjoy reading about the ripper, i have bought quite a few books and try and watch the many documentaries on it here in the uk, when they air.

i am compellingly drawn to the whole era and is atmosphere
ph34r.gif

i still havent seen from hell with johnny depp, i wonder if its worth watching

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nope! Edit: Actually that's a bit dismissive, any film is worth watching. I always thought the Sickert theories were the most compelling!

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

I have From Hell on DVD and it is the most accurate Ripper movie done so far but still goes with a more fantasy theory than one of the most likely suspects. The directors (two brothers) went to a lot of effort to recreate the crime scenes. Johnny Depp plays inspector Abberline who was in charge of detectives investigating the case but they portray him as a bit of a Sherlock Holmes type with a penchant for absinthe which is not how I picture Inspector Abberline from what I have read about him. The movie goes with the Prince Albert Victor theory which is far from the most likely. Still, for any Ripperologist it is a must own and the making of documentary is worth watching too.

I watched an old movie called The Lodger just the other day and it is based on the Ripper but is far from factual. The problem with almost all directors that make movies based on history is that they always twist the truth because they think the masses just won't find the facts interesting enough, which I disagree with myself. I would love to be able to make a movie on the Ripper and just tell it like it is and nothing else.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

heh, ok, thanks, i will have to resort to the older but seemingly better versions out there

What better versions? I think I have seen them all and there are no better versions that I have seen. From Hell is the best as far as depicting the period and recreating the crime scenes. I've never seen one Ripper movie that is more factual than From Hell.

BTW, some of those links give me just a black screen in FF for some reason but if you click the map view and re-drop the little man back onto the same location then you will get the street view again.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always thought the Sickert theories were the most compelling!

My A to Z Ripper book disagrees with that theory and says it is recommended that Ms Fullers story about Sickert be treated with extreme caution until valid corroborative evidence is provided. That is sort of along the lines of the From Hell theory and is highly unlikely IMO. But I guess it is still a possibility, just an unlikely one.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #11 of 20
I've popped into the White Hart pub a couple of times, as it's next door to my brothers place (St Georges Yard, now residential flats). It's much as any other old london pub, but they do overdo the Jack the ripper schtick a little.

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #12 of 20
My book says Severin Klosowski (suspect) worked in a barbers shop in the basement of the White Hart pub. This is the definitive Ripper book as it contains every known fact about the Ripper murders at the time of publishing (1992) and is done alphabetically. I need a new hard cover copy though because I found my copy in a used bookstore and some pages have come loose.

Apr 6, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've popped into the White Hart pub a couple of times, as it's next door to my brothers place (St Georges Yard, now residential flats). It's much as any other old london pub, but they do overdo the Jack the ripper schtick a little.

It's a bit of a wierd thing to do. Someone was killed here once, why not come and have a nice warm beer here.

Apr 6, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #14 of 20
No one was killed in the pub itself. What about tourists visiting dungeon chambers in old castles where people were tortured and murdered? It's no weirder, perhaps less so because Ripperologists are people still trying to figure out who did it so it has its purpose.

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #15 of 20
At first glace I thought this was a thread for some new CD ripping software...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back