Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
May 1, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #11,116 of 11,472
Expecting my Euforia EVO to arrive in the coming week or two.
My desktop components will become:

Amplifiers: Violectric V281, Euforia EVO

Headphones: Focal Clear OG, ZMF Caldera

From what I've read, I should get good synergy with EVO + Clear, but does anyone have actual experience with EVO + Caldera?
I'm hoping they will play nicely together.

If not, I might try to use EVO as preamp -> V281 -> Caldera.
If still not successful, I guess my worst arrangement will be to fix the partnerships as EVO + Clear and V2821 + Caldera.

Any comments and advice?
Thanks.

May 1, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #11,118 of 11,472
Which Dac do you use with it?

Yes, there are reports about the Euforia + Caldera.
@Renexx can certainly contribute with the combination.

His AE drives the Caldera well.
My DAC is much of a niche product called Clones Audio Asher DAC.
Not sure if anyone here would have heard or have experienced with.
It's a great product from a small company in Hong Kong.

As you could probably tell from my possession list, I'm a big fan of boutique products, and I love to support these smaller companies who are putting out great products that can compete or knock down those from bigger companies.
It's so much more satisfying to find a hidden gem that is a "giant killer" so to speak. :gs1000smile:

May 1, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #11,119 of 11,472
Which Dac do you use with it?

Yes, there are reports about the Euforia + Caldera.
@Renexx can certainly contribute with the combination.

His AE drives the Caldera well.
I had only tested the Euphoria using 6Y6G as power tubes yet!
Euphoria drives the Caldera surprisingly well but I still use my Cayin Transformer amp to drive the Caldera. I wouldn't say it is particularly better, maybe a little bit more punchy in the low-end using low impedance output.

The magic of the OTL reverby driver response is not present with the Caldera. You need dynamic headphones to get the most synergy out of the Euphoria.

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #11,120 of 11,472
I had only tested the Euphoria using 6Y6G as power tubes yet!
Euphoria drives the Caldera surprisingly well but I still use my Cayin Transformer amp to drive the Caldera. I wouldn't say it is particularly better, maybe a little bit more punchy in the low-end using low impedance output.

The magic of the OTL staging and reverby driver response is not present with the Caldera. You need dynamic headphones to get the most out of the Euphoria.
Respectfully disagree. While I love my ZMF Auteur Classic dynamics from Euforia AE, Audeze MM-500 planars sound wonderful as well. According to Lukasz from Feliks-Audio with whom I emailed on this topic before buying the MM-500, even low impedance planars match well as long as they are relatively high sensitivity. Audeze MM-500 are 100 dB/1mW, Caldera a bit less at 95 dB/1mW.

May 1, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #11,123 of 11,472
I'm guessing Euforia amps (inc the new Evo) would work well with Beyer T1 Gen 2 headphones?
I bought the Euforia second hand because I had a T1 gen 2, and I sold my Schiit Valhalla 2 OTL amp since I thought I would not need it anymore with the Euforia. But to my taste they did not match well: The T1 and Euforia. They said the cheaper Feliks Audio is a better match with the T1. I felt rather stupid. The Hifiman 400i was a better match with the Euforia it seemed, while listening. So after a while I went to the bank and bought a second hand Empyrean. Now I listen to the Empyrean with a USB bridge/ streaming transport to my Ayre QB9 Twenty dac + Euforia. And I use an Audioquest dragonfly red, with the T1 for all other computer related sound. "Very silly indeed". You might say. And you would be right. I guess. Kind regards Y

May 1, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #11,124 of 11,472
Respectfully disagree. While I love my ZMF Auteur Classic dynamics from Euforia AE, Audeze MM-500 planars sound wonderful as well. According to Lukasz from Feliks-Audio with whom I emailed on this topic before buying the MM-500, even low impedance planars match well as long as they are relatively high sensitivity. Audeze MM-500 are 100 dB/1mW, Caldera a bit less at 95 dB/1mW.
Dont have the Caldera nor the MM500, but keep in mind that 5db difference means that the MM500 is 50% more efficient than Caldera. Small difference in db, big difference in efficiency since the db scale is logarithmic.

May 1, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #11,125 of 11,472
I have been listening to the Lcd 2C at Euforia for well over a year and it took a while to get it where I wanted it.
Eventually it got to the point where it wasn't getting any better and then the Zmf Auteur came along and things suddenly got better.

Since then I use the Lcd 2 only rarely or not at all.
I tried both on the Mcintosh mha 200 a few weeks ago and the result was similar.
The Auteur had done the better job.
In the end, the Mcintosh mha 200 was below the Euforia, but I have to admit that the Dac Node 3 was not the best solution in the business when I tried it.

Here the Euforia definitely has its strengths with high impedance headphones, with planar headphones it weakens somewhat depending on the impedance of the headphones.
The Lcd 2C from 2019 has around 70 ohm and I have experienced it much better with a Little Dot 1+ or Custombau amplifier on a hybrid amplifier basis.
By the way, I also heard the Meze Empearyan on the Mcintosh and it was not my cup of tee.
I left the store without buying anything with an inner joy knowing that the Auteur is what I wanted and was looking for.

@SckT

I really don't know the Dac,and according to the homepage they have stopped building it,but seems interesting.
I would give it a try.
However, the chain on the Euforia is also important, which does not necessarily mean that you need a new Dac.
R2R Dacs are quite powerful on the Euforia and unleash something else from the amplifier.
Since January I have replaced my Singxer Sda 2 with the Gustard R26 and it is pure magic with Zmf headphones, at least for me personally.
Back to the Caldera it will work the question will be if it will satisfy you.
Renexx is right at a certain point and this is also confirmed by Zmf itself that the Cayin ha 3A is much better and lighter powered than the dynamic headphones due to its better performance.

May 16, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #11,126 of 11,472
If you can afford it get yourself some nice NOS tubes for the Euphoria and it will really shine with your ZMF headphones!
I did go straight for the Euphoria also for my first tube amp. There is no way going back to SS now. Love the sonic tone and smoothness it provides.

I did roll my mullard ecc32 with 5998 today and it's just a glorious holy grail listen with the best staging capabilities :)
Hi
I purchased the euphoria 20th and am loving it I looked at the tung sol 5998s too they are so expensive are they worth the money are they that much better than stock ?

May 16, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #11,129 of 11,472
Hi
I purchased the euphoria 20th and am loving it I looked at the tung sol 5998s too they are so expensive are they worth the money are they that much better than stock ?
The 5998 or WE421a are among the best resolving power tubes for the Euphoria. Neutral warm tonality with great staging and nice low-end.
Same performance is only available with expensive and rare GEC 6as7g providing a warmer tonality.
Other 6080/6as7 tubes are one behind in resolution but still highly recommended. Like Bendix 6080, Tungsol 6080, GEC 6080, Chatham/Tungsol 6as7 they all have different tonality and staging.

If it's really worth the money depends to you. Prices for tubes won't become cheaper.
This amplifier is meant for tube rolling and it's lots of fun. It also benefits more by NOS tubes than my Cayin HA-3A for example.

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #11,130 of 11,472
The 5998 or WE421a are among the best resolving power tubes for the Euphoria. Neutral warm tonality with great staging and nice low-end.
Same performance is only available with expensive and rare GEC 6as7g providing a warmer tonality.
Other 6080/6as7 tubes are one behind in resolution but still highly recommended. Like Bendix 6080, Tungsol 6080, GEC 6080, Chatham/Tungsol 6as7 they all have different tonality and staging.

If it's really worth the money depends to you. Prices for tubes won't become cheaper.
This amplifier is meant for tube rolling and it's lots of fun. It also benefits more by NOS tubes than my Cayin HA-3A for example.

Been there, done that. Had all of those tubes with Euforia, including a priced pair of brand new GEC 6AS7G with curve brown base that I bought from Stavros. The new Tung Sol 5998 which I bought from Vietnam is a favourite. So many nice tubes but they belong to another era as I'm onto Pentodes and 300b now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back