Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Dec 1, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #8,581 of 11,505
Still the ares 2 seemed smoothed in the upper end in one of my previous setups. I like my high hats and bass with slight recess in midrange. Which is why I like the 1266 TC so much. With my Euforia AE setup It had awesome bass good midrange with the right amount of treble. Made magic on my Verite closed/open and Empyrean.

Dec 1, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #8,583 of 11,505
Starting to look at DACs +\- the $1K mark Any recommendations for a DAC for the Euforia / ZMF VO combo? My main source is the Kann Cube - I am pretty happy with the xlr out from Cube to the Euforia so am wondering if I go digital out from the Cube what kind of DAC would provide a significant step up from the DAC in the Cube.
The Hegel HD12 is a very good DAC that also looks extremely good with the Euforia. Same footprint so you can stack it . Great dac and you can pick up a new one for a little more than your budget or a used one at your budget.
20201201_055639.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #8,584 of 11,505
Ok - one of the reasons for getting the Euforia was to dip my feet in the tube waters. I tried to get through the 500+ pages of posts scouring for tube info and came out more confused than when I started lol. It seems that earlier discoveries have been superseded by newer ones - and am trying to grasp it all but I figure I'll ask for some help - so please bear with my tube noob line of questions.

I've already more or less settled in to what I'm looking for soundwise with VO/Euforia combo and as it seems like it will take a while to find tubes - (actually surprised I haven't seen many recommendations on where to source them besides ebay), I figure I'll start now.

I am clearly impressed with the separation and soundstage of the Euforia - I find myself reaching for the Crossfeed switch more than I thought. A lot of the older Jazz and Latin jazz and Dub recordings I listen to were recorded and mixed with heavy separation and panning and in some cases, recordings were mixed fully hard-panned (ie. some Coltrane dates with Elvin's drums all in the right channel and horn all in the left) which Euforia/VO combo seems to emphasize a little more at times than is my taste, crossfeed corrects it for me, Feliks really dialed-in a perfect blend for that circuit IMO. I also noticed that the crossfeed is useful to attenuate some of the top frequencies in the 12-16k range which helps if the recording has an uncontrolled/excessive top end.

I am pretty happy with the bottom end when the recording is low end heavy and mastered properly, but often that's not the case, so the quality #1 one I'm looking for is a little more bass roundness and low-end extension - I guess a little more over the entire lower end range overall. The mids, of course, are amazing and the high end is usually perfect as is but it tends to get a little bright for me, which sticks out to me mostly when the bottom is lacking or narrow. So I would say I possibly am a bass head lol, but I'm looking for more fullness throughout the entire low-frequency spectrum rather than just a low-end boost if that makes any sense.

A few hundred pages back I saw a lot of talk of an EL11/12 combo but stopped seeing it mentioned after a while. Of course, I am interested in the Chatham 6AS7G referenced by ZMF founder and I understand that the Tung-sol 5998 might give more of what I'm looking for in the low end. Am I even close? Any suggestions for where to start or just jump ahead to a premium tube roll? Also, where do you guys source your glass? Is the wild wild east/west of Ebay really the answer? I have mixed results when I purchase anything there.
Thanks in advance! #theadventurecontinues

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #8,585 of 11,505
Euforia arrived today! - Sounding great out of the box from the Kann mini xlr out. Time for burn-in and see where she goes from here!
6392D5E9-1334-428E-AB4A-7E5373BDCA5D.jpeg
Looks really good - congrats. Question: Does it get very warm? I refrained from looking further onto this as I read it gets hot - like you burn your (others) fingers ...

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #8,586 of 11,505
Anyone looking for TS 5998 or 7236? The tubes in mint condition for their age. Never Used sold my amp and Not looking to get another one. If I buy another OTL it needs to be Euforia.

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #8,587 of 11,505
Looks really good - congrats. Question: Does it get very warm? I refrained from looking further onto this as I read it gets hot - like you burn your (others) fingers ...
In my very similar Feliks Elise heat generation depends on the tubes used. 6080 powers are the only ones I've found to run really hot, and using risers / socket savers to elevate them above the chassis helps, as does a small fan nearby.

I use some 6V6 family tubes with adapters as well and they run cool as a cucumber and can send really great in the right combinations.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #8,588 of 11,505
Thanks ! The transformer top gets warm and the tubes get hot - not so much you would get burned from bumping them inadvertently but definitely any kind of prolonged contact with the tube would cause a burn - I would keep it away from toddlers etc , but my children are over 10 yo and they know not to get near daddy’s gear - or else! 😀

Dec 5, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #8,589 of 11,505
Thanks ! The transformer top gets warm and the tubes get hot - not so much you would get burned from bumping them inadvertently but definitely any kind of prolonged contact with the tube would cause a burn - I would keep it away from toddlers etc , but my children are over 10 yo and they know not to get near daddy’s gear - or else! 😀
Don’t worry about heat mine got hot as well and my WA33 GETS REAL HOT. My kids know not too touch it’s like lava I tell them.

Dec 8, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #8,590 of 11,505
Hi, this is the second Meze Empyrean review from your You Tube channel, and both do not praise the Empyreans. As I own them I would like to respond. They are the best Planar match with my amp the Feliks Audio Euforia, so I wanted to give them a go. They scale up with the quality of the equipment used, and Meze their stock cable is a real problem. So I warned Meze never to send their stock cable for a review. I bought the Lavricables Grand Litz 4 core which is more fragile than the 20 core Grand but more high end they say. And I have the Ayre QB-9 Twenty Dac. Compared with my Stax L700 mk1 with the T 1-S amp the Empyreans are less sharp, less treble focused and less detail focused, but I am very happy with the overall musical experience. And I like it better than the Stax. The ZMF Verite cans match well with the Euforia too. But I am in no hurry to buy those soon. I am quite happy now. Other Empyrean owners called them euphonic, but I am not certain about this English as it is not my native language. Even though the Empyreans Mk 2 will be better, these ear speakers should be seen as a tool to listen to high end equipment, great amp, great Dac, and also great cables.

Meze Empyrean Review - Comfort King - YouTube

Dec 8, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #8,591 of 11,505
Hi, this is the second Meze Empyrean review from your You Tube channel, and both do not praise the Empyreans. As I own them I would like to respond. They are the best Planar match with my amp the Feliks Audio Euforia, so I wanted to give them a go. They scale up with the quality of the equipment used, and Meze their stock cable is a real problem. So I warned Meze never to send their stock cable for a review. I bought the Lavricables Grand Litz 4 core which is more fragile than the 20 core Grand but more high end they say. And I have the Ayre QB-9 Twenty Dac. Compared with my Stax L700 mk1 with the T 1-S amp the Empyreans are less sharp, less treble focused and less detail focused, but I am very happy with the overall musical experience. And I like it better than the Stax. The ZMF Verite cans match well with the Euforia too. But I am in no hurry to buy those soon. I am quite happy now. Other Empyrean owners called them euphonic, but I am not certain about this English as it is not my native language. Even though the Empyreans Mk 2 will be better, these ear speakers should be seen as a tool to listen to high end equipment, great amp, great Dac, and also great cables.

Meze Empyrean Review - Comfort King - YouTube
Wrong website, I think? The Headphone show youtube channel is affiliated with headphones.com, not headfi. :) Anyway, thanks for the link, always interesting to see reviews. I saw this one a few days ago, and as a former empyrean owner I think it's a good review. Super comfortable, great looks, and overall very nice to listen to. Just lacking the detail/resolution I was looking for, esp. at the low end.

On a separate note, yes, the VC pairs very well with the Euforia, in my experience! :)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #8,592 of 11,505
Wrong website, I think? The Headphone show youtube channel is affiliated with headphones.com, not headfi. :) Anyway, thanks for the link, always interesting to see reviews. I saw this one a few days ago, and as a former empyrean owner I think it's a good review. Super comfortable, great looks, and overall very nice to listen to. Just lacking the detail/resolution I was looking for, esp. at the low end.

On a separate note, yes, the VC pairs very well with the Euforia, in my experience! :)
Ah well I prefer Head-fi.org but I shared my response on the You Tube item, and my response was focused on my amp the Euforia of which this is a forum. If you think other Planars are a better match with the Euforia , why not mention them?

Dec 8, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #8,593 of 11,505
Ah well I prefer Head-fi.org but I shared my response on the You Tube item [...]
Ah, ok that was not clear to me.

I mostly listen to the Euforia with the VC. Occasionally with the LCD XC, which pairs quite well ime, despite the low impedance.

Dec 8, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #8,595 of 11,505
You like closed cans. I wondered which to buy, Verite open or closed.
The Euforia is part of my second listening station, which is in the living room, so I use closed backs there. I use open backs in my office.

VO and VC are both great headphones. I have seen quite a few comments in the VC thread of people preferring the VC, in part because it sounds very 'open' for a closed back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back