Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Aug 4, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #3,691 of 11,515
@aqsw. I'm listening to your daughters full album right now. I like it a lot. You have to be very proud. I don't listen to a lot of contemporary music, so I can't compare it to much that is popular now. But to this Old Geezer it is very appealing, unique and creative. Above all, I'm having a lot of fun listening to it. I don't buy CDs any more, but I'll be looking to down load it. It must be a lot of fun to watch the band's progress. For the convenience of others, this is the YouTube link:

@connieflyer Great music presentation tonight))) I love the rendition of Diamonds & Rust. Always has been one of my favorite Joan Baez songs.

All is sounding beautiful tonight with EL11/EL12 and Euforia

Aug 4, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #3,692 of 11,515
I really liked her rendition of diamonds and rust used to listen to Joan Baez when I was just a young person. I've been listening with the El 11 and 12 combo as well and I have to admit it is a great combination of tubes. Glad all is well with the girls take care my friend

Aug 4, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #3,695 of 11,515
Thank you pct.

If anybody really likes it, please share on your social media. These kids could use the approvals.
They really deserve it too.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #3,696 of 11,515
Nothing in the world like a proud papa congratulations!

Aug 5, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #3,697 of 11,515
Thanks CF

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #3,698 of 11,515
Yesterday and last night I spent a lot of quality time listening to Euforia with EL11/EL12. At the risk of shamefully using OTT language, it is like I all of a sudden have a new, significantly upgraded amp. This is for now my highly preferred combo, even over and above Sylvania 6SN7W/GEC6AS7G. That is also a very special combo, but I’m feeling it just doesn’t have the “excitement” quality of the EL11/12s.

Everything just sounds so “right”. Images and soundstage are clear, layered and anchored. It is the most “organic” sound I have heard in my system. It has punch and strong dynamics while at the same time being relaxed and effortless. Highly resolving. In a word, “magical”. May have to pull the trigger on a pair of the EL12 spez. I have a pair of EL12n that I want to try before I do that.

@connieflyer described these tubes as permitting him to carry on a conversation with female vocalists. Unlike him I have been carrying on conversations with both male and female vocalists, and unlike him I have been doing a lot of talking back.

If I have any negative comment it would be that for HD800S there is just a tad bit too much bass energy for my taste. But that energy does not detract from the clear and wonderful midrange, and it pretty well integrated into the FR. I suspect with the HD800 Classic this would not even be a consideration. For me it is not an issue. Just trying to be thorough in describing my experience so far.

I do want to say that my EL11 drivers are not the mesh plate like @hypnos1 has. I think he may have the only remaining pair in the world. But it is the round-plate version. From what I remember from H1’s early posts (he of course is the expert), the oval plate EL11 really doesn’t sound very different from EL3N tubes.

Also, for anyone who has not followed the history of EL11/12 tubes with Elise and Euforia, I need to say that some have had bad experience in buying defective tubes. Fortunately, I was not one of those. I guess the warning needs to be, buyer be ware.

I was hesitant to post at this point, because I’m a strong believer in long term evaluation of any component or tube. But I’m sure I will be using some combination of EL11/12s a lot, if not most of the time.

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #3,699 of 11,515
They used to put a very small hole on the front of the cd tray, you could insert straightened paper clip and push it in, and it would manually open the drawer. Has been a couple of years since I had to do this but if you have not tried, easy fix.

Hi cf...not so easy alas!...I'm afraid Audiolab obviously don't want anyone opening up their gear either - the small screws have the tiniest Torx heads imaginable lol!!....(just might have to get brutal here lol!! :wink:).

I would not characterize you "as being alone" with the EL's. I still swap them in and out, they are in now, and while I do not have the Spezials el12's the tubes you made up for me, are outstanding. One thing that, for me, is the sound stage with the EL's. They are crystal clear, without any emphasis on any one group of frequencies. The GEC's are also very good indeed, they are also warmer in my estimation. With female vocalists, it is like having a conversation with them, except, fortunetly they do all the talking!

Glad to see you too are an 'adventurous' soul lol!...and that you continue to 'keep me company'...CHEERS!...

Mind you, as far as I'm concerned, given the number of hours I've now been using these tubes trouble-free, I reckon these are in fact safer than stock!!...viz. the far cooler temperatures I mentioned previously. Surely, a transformer running under less load, plus ALL resistors and capacitors operating perfectly well at much lower temperatures must be good news... not only for longevity, but also for fewer stress-related problems? That's my take on things, anyway lol! :L3000:...

Yesterday and last night I spent a lot of quality time listening to Euforia with EL11/EL12. At the risk of shamefully using OTT language, it is like I all of a sudden have a new, significantly upgraded amp. This is for now my highly preferred combo, even over and above Sylvania 6SN7W/GEC6AS7G. That is also a very special combo, but I’m feeling it just doesn’t have the “excitement” quality of the EL11/12s.

Everything just sounds so “right”. Images and soundstage are clear, layered and anchored. It is the most “organic” sound I have heard in my system. It has punch and strong dynamics while at the same time being relaxed and effortless. Highly resolving. In a word, “magical”. May have to pull the trigger on a pair of the EL12 spez. I have a pair of EL12n that I want to try before I do that.

@connieflyer described these tubes as permitting him to carry on a conversation with female vocalists. Unlike him I have been carrying on conversations with both male and female vocalists, and unlike him I have been doing a lot of talking back.

If I have any negative comment it would be that for HD800S there is just a tad bit too much bass energy for my taste. But that energy does not detract from the clear and wonderful midrange, and it pretty well integrated into the FR. I suspect with the HD800 Classic this would not even be a consideration. For me it is not an issue. Just trying to be thorough in describing my experience so far.

I do want to say that my EL11 drivers are not the mesh plate like @hypnos1 has. I think he may have the only remaining pair in the world. But it is the round-plate version. From what I remember from H1’s early posts (he of course is the expert), the oval plate EL11 really doesn’t sound very different from EL3N tubes.

Also, for anyone who has not followed the history of EL11/12 tubes with Elise and Euforia, I need to say that some have had bad experience in buying defective tubes. Fortunately, I was not one of those. I guess the warning needs to be, buyer be ware.

I was hesitant to post at this point, because I’m a strong believer in long term evaluation of any component or tube. But I’m sure I will be using some combination of EL11/12s a lot, if not most of the time.

Well, pct, you've done a great job of describing these tubes' virtues...even if you still have a good few more hours for your ears and brain to 'digest' that transient aspect covered in depth by the genius Rob Watts, and that I mentioned previously. These ELs really do repay with dividends one's patience with them...more so than any other tubes I've ever used. Sometimes, depending on the system and environment, one might even need to forego listening for a day or so to let them 'settle in', and yet still allow plenty more hours' listening to fully appreciate that magic you spoke of!
Mind you, having said that, Glenn (of Glenn amps) was 'shocked' by the performance of the sister EL3N on first listen, even before he configured his own amp specifically for them! But as always of course, different folks have different preferences and gear...

I hear you re. the bass aspect - anything else in the system that may be 'enhancing' the lower end might just be a tad too much for some who are sensitive to bass... but as with yourself, the benefits will most likely outweigh this factor lol! My T1s seem to be the perfect match, however!!! :ksc75smile:

And yes, the oval plate EL11 (often Valvos) sounded (to me) more like the EL3N...which is no bad thing really(!), but I personally find the (round plate) EL11 to have a slightly more balanced FR, and a little less 'lush' in overall presentation...so it's horses for courses...:wink: (the mesh-plate EL11 - which in fact has an oval plate! - seems to combine the best of the EL3N with that of the 'pure' EL11...and which suits my own preferences to perfection lol...:gs1000smile:).

I'm so glad you have rediscovered just what these tubes are capable of...and at prices a good bit below the 'best' 6SN7s and eye-watering powers such as the GEC/Osrams!
I too am sure you will be doing a great deal of listening with these wonderful tubes in place...:L3000:...

ps. The EL12 Spezials do indeed bring an extra bit of magic to the equation...and IMHO also have a slightly better bass response...so GOOD LUCK once more!...CJ

Aug 5, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #3,700 of 11,515
H, sorry, I misspoke, the small hole was next to the cd tray not on it. I am getting old.

Aug 5, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #3,701 of 11,515
Tonite's selection

Aug 5, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #3,702 of 11,515

Im rolling El12N and EL11 right now and its definitely an exciting and slammin combo, although i prefer the Tung Sol 5998 EL11 combo using chord Mojo as DAC and modded HD650. This is however with Elise and not the Euforia. I`d love to hear a comparison between EL12 and EL12N and perhaps EL12 Spez as power tubes, dont know if anyone own all three of them though.

Edit: PCT, try the EL12N and EL3N, thats a really sweet combo.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #3,703 of 11,515
Just pulled the El12N and replace with the TS5998 as powers and left the EL11's in as drivers, and I must say this is a very nice combo also, thank you Wreakgar7, for the heads-up. Am really enjoying this. Time will tell where it stacks up, but for now a great sound indeed.

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #3,704 of 11,515
Last night I substituted my EL12n powers for EL12. First time I had that combo in Euforia. Didn't like it at all. Harsh, less dynamic, less base, less resolution, magic gone. Don't have much good to say about that combo in Euforia with my system. But that's just my personal experience, and not questioning experience of others.:smile_phones:

EL12 powers back in and magic has returned. Will try the EL11/TS5998 combo and EL3N/EL12N combo at some point. I thought I had left EL3s behind forever, but still have 3 pair left. :ksc75smile:

I love what I've got right now and don't want to get back into a lot of tube rolling again. But I will try the different combos at some point. And that pair of EL12 spez on Ebay is still floating around in my otherwise empty head :o2smile:

BTW, as I've put more time in on EL11/EL12 with Euforia the bass issue I mentioned with HD800S is largely gone. Bass is still strong, but has tightened up and is better integrated with rest of FR. This really is a superb combo for me. Maybe I need more time with EL12N, but didn't have a lot of patience last night when I tried it.

Aug 6, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #3,705 of 11,515
Glad to hear your supposition. All I have are the El 12n so didn't have any way to compare, now perhaps sometime in the not-too-distant future I will look for a pair of EL12. as far as the el12 spez I think I'm going to pass on that has with the tubes and adapter and shipping that's another $200, so I think I better stop this tube purchasing venture. At least for a while. As far as that La Figaro hap that was on sale here, I am going to pass on that as well. Always liked it But the member that is selling it is selling it as is no returns no refunds and for that amount of money there's no way. So I wish him luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back