Feliks Audio ENVY
Jul 19, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #4,037 of 7,320
My Envy is on its way back to Poland to be tested and to get the transformer replaced as its confirmed failed.

Unfortunately I'm not 100% sure whether it was the Telefunken tubes that blew and took out the transformer so these are off to be tested at the end of the week as well. I used them for many hours without incident though. I did change from Mrs X to the Deyan adapters a few days before "the incident" so I asked the guy to test them independently as well as with the adapter in place. The amp must be able to handle a tube failure though.

I'm just wondering whether anyone has officially asked Feliks whether the G73-r are OK to use in the Envy?

I'm pretty confident it was a one off. I did swap the tubes back to stock after it made "a funny screech noise" so it’s also possible it was the stock tubes I put in (unless the Funken had already funked it up). I'm just a little conscious that if that was the reason, it might happen to others so I'll let you all know ASAP what the Feliks guys say.

I think it's the first failure of this type... ever so I really don’t think it's something any of you should worry about. I need to report back though as a public service (lol).

I also have a Puritan PSM156 being made. Should get than in a couple of weeks in case it was a surge of any kind. I should really have had something like that in place from the start tbh.

Jul 19, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #4,039 of 7,320
Oh nice, have you asked the feliks team if the tubes are compatible? The thing that scares me is that they say max 28w with a big red sticker.

Also the contained letter reads like a „lot can go wrong“.

My dealer said I have to test them because they are really good.

Sorry for all those noob questions, can’t wait to test them, but I’m a bit scared
I don't own an Envy, but the recommended anode dissipation for EML 300B-Mesh is 22 watt whereas the typical amp's anode dissipation for a normal (non-mesh) 300-B is 28 watt, therefore exceeding what EML recommends. It says in EML's spec sheet that it could go up to 28 watt max, but it will potentially shorten the life of the tubes (and could potentially causing other things to the amp if the tube fails). It's best to check with Feliks Audio though.

Jul 20, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #4,041 of 7,320
Hi, what would you recommend upgrading first, the Tubes or the DAC?

I will go with the Takatsuki TA−300B for the Envy. For the DAC i still have no idea.

Current Tubes are Full Music from the Performance Edition.
Then it is easy. Go first with what you know already. What DAC do you use at the moment?

Jul 20, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #4,042 of 7,320
Then it is easy. Go first with what you know already. What DAC do you use at the moment?
I use the Cambridge EDGE NQ Streamer DAC in Preamp Mode, it sounds amazing, but the soundstage is not the deep and height, there is not much space in the layering, but the Cambridge is very good with Speakers, in 2 Weeks i will get the Weiss DAC 204 from my local dealer to test. I love dynamics, big soundstage, when you get lost in the music and stop thinking :)

Jul 20, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #4,043 of 7,320
I use the Cambridge EDGE NQ Streamer DAC in Preamp Mode, it sounds amazing, but the soundstage is not the deep and height, there is not much space in the layering, but the Cambridge is very good with Speakers, in 2 Weeks i will get the Weiss DAC 204 from my local dealer to test. I love dynamics, big soundstage, when you get lost in the music and stop thinking :)
The Weiss sounds very good for the money. https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2023...is-here-why-this-is-the-best-dac-buy-of-2023/

Jul 20, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #4,044 of 7,320
If you’re looking for a more analog sound you can also consider a r2r dac like the holo audio.

Beside that, Weiss dac must be amazing!

Jul 20, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #4,045 of 7,320
Update from the eml 300b mesh tube envy pairing, I talked to feliks and the envy emits 25w of PA. So is exactly in the range between 22w and max 28w.

I asked if it’s ok to share that info for later reference… see attachment.

Or in other words, I started using them some minutes ago, those Tubes are AWESOME, night and day difference compared to my black treasure and full music (absolute subjective statement). They remind me of the elrog (also subjective) with smoother bass.

I also ordered a LWL converter to decouple my system even more. I hope to have it here by tomorrow. … micro adjustment but I’ll see.

Attachments

• 617E1F8D-4EE2-4FE4-B76A-355007DEF67F.png
    617E1F8D-4EE2-4FE4-B76A-355007DEF67F.png
    918.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 04127DAE-5EFE-437C-A4FD-5E49B5717F6B.jpeg
    04127DAE-5EFE-437C-A4FD-5E49B5717F6B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #4,046 of 7,320
Update from the eml 300b mesh tube envy pairing, I talked to feliks and the envy emits 25w of PA. So is exactly in the range between 22w and max 28w.

I asked if it’s ok to share that info for later reference… see attachment.

Or in other words, I started using them some minutes ago, those Tubes are AWESOME, night and day difference compared to my black treasure and full music (absolute subjective statement). They remind me of the elrog (also subjective) with smoother bass.

I also ordered a LWL converter to decouple my system even more. I hope to have it here by tomorrow. … micro adjustment but I’ll see.
That's great news!

Jul 20, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #4,047 of 7,320
If you’re looking for a more analog sound you can also consider a r2r dac like the holo audio.

Beside that, Weiss dac must be amazing!
About the Holo Audio I am thinking 6 months to get it, should I get the preamp to? Because using my Canbridge Edge NQ that has 6.6v XLR output, doesn’t work well with the Envy is alread very loud at volume 2 using the Cambridge in Preamp Modus I can control both volumes and it sounds Amazing but I am missing soundstage and little bit of clearity in the Midrange and refinement in the highs.

Jul 20, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #4,048 of 7,320
About the Holo Audio I am thinking 6 months to get it, should I get the preamp to? Because using my Canbridge Edge NQ that has 6.6v XLR output, doesn’t work well with the Envy is alread very loud at volume 2 using the Cambridge in Preamp Modus I can control both volumes and it sounds Amazing but I am missing soundstage and little bit of clearity in the Midrange and refinement in the highs.
Holo spring also has 5.8Vrms out (xlr) and 2.9Vrms rca out power. If spring is ok for you, you can add a build in pre.

Keep in mind, you have to deal with two volume controls or use line out.

I bought a pre too last week, exactly for those cases, but I also have to connect turntables and some more devices to it.

I also plan to add a poweramp and speakers later.

I would say, step up slowly (I’m really bad at this), it’s a journey and not a race.

Jul 20, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #4,049 of 7,320
Holo spring also has 5.8Vrms out (xlr) and 2.9Vrms rca out power. If spring is ok for you, you can add a build in pre.

I bought a pre too last week, exactly for those cases, but I also have to connect turntables and some more devices to it.

I would say, step up slowly (I’m really bad at this), it’s a journey and not

I would say, step up slowly (I’m really bad at this), it’s a journey and not a race.
I think i will wait a little bit with the DAC and hope to get my heads on on view DACs, i am hoping that Chord will hopefully release a new DAVE, its time already :)

Jul 20, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #4,050 of 7,320
Music on, light off, beer in! Looks so stunning when light is turned off!

Attachments

• A41E4D18-6C8E-4319-871C-D1DD25093E4C.jpeg
    A41E4D18-6C8E-4319-871C-D1DD25093E4C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 23044FC8-3C45-4C4A-A02B-6472018DAEC4.jpeg
    23044FC8-3C45-4C4A-A02B-6472018DAEC4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back