Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Dec 5, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #438 of 3,428
If it is, that means I can get it cheaper and the difference can be used for shipping! :grinning::thumbsup:

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #439 of 3,428
  Thanks. Doesn't that mean it's $405.69 or so for those outside of the EU VAT system?

You got my attention there .

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #440 of 3,428
just round it down to 400...and it will be sweet. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #441 of 3,428
  Thanks. Doesn't that mean it's $405.69 or so for those outside of the EU VAT system?

Hi again Oskari...and everyone outside the EU hoping for that amazing-looking figure.

I'm afraid it appears the VAT system in Poland is very complex, and makes it extremely difficult (and expensive) for small shipments outside the EU to allow for the deduction of the VAT...another instance of so-called uniform rules and regs within the EU being quite so straightforward (and affordable) - especially for smaller firms. Lukasz is hoping they might be able to address all the issues in the New Year, but as they aren't volume manufacturers I would imagine that will be a very big task indeed!

So folks, I'm afraid the $499 price has to remain worldwide...but let's face it, that is STILL a very good price for a quality unit - the poor guys can't be making much of a profit at this point ($400 would see them bankrupt in no time, to be sure!!). Remember, these are not mass-produced items, so hopefully you're not too disappointed lol...

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #442 of 3,428
The Polish Republic can surely use the support. 
rolleyes.gif

(It's probably the right address for complaints, too.)

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #444 of 3,428
  Are there any photos available ?

Hi eppz.

At the moment only the computer simulation on page 8 and photo of the revised front panel (HP jack now to the front instead of on top, and a power led) I'm afraid...the final assembly and testing will go into next week, ready for shipping to me by the end of...hopefully! Then it shouldn't take long to reach me in the UK, whereupon I shall take LOTS of photos and even have a go at videoing the opening, lol!
So it should be real soon now...
tongue.gif

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #445 of 3,428
With 20+ hrs on the Beyer T1s and a good few more of my test tracks covered, I am now even more intrigued by how they will sound with the Elise...if what they can do for my LD MKIV SE is anything to go by.

I shan't go into too much depth about them - far more experienced people than I have already given extensive assessments of their abilities.

All I can say is that every positive aspect reported seems to be accurate - to my ears, anyway...viz: clarity; agility; separation/placement; bass, mids, treble extension and detail; holographic stage/imaging; general coherence/balance etc. etc...

On the main (debatable) negative aspect, this is a very tricky one to call - ie. that treble!... I can understand why some would find this a little troublesome, but I personally feel most of the 'trouble' is probably down to an unfortunate combination of factors outside the headphones themselves...from power supply, through cables used/source/DAC to (of course!) type of amp used. Not to mention one's ears! And then there's the degree of 'close-miking' adopted/diffuser used/ability of the mike to handle volume spikes/recording engineer's predilection for treble emphasis...etc.etc.
I have a feeling the T1s are SO good at retrieving/reproducing exceptional detail (particularly in the upper frequencies) that they will highlight mercilessly ANY 'troublesome' factor in the chain...in my own case, through comparison of tracks with obviously different recording studio bias/equipment/technique I feel most of the blame lies in this quarter. The very few occasions when near-excessive sibilance was apparent could safely (IMHO) be put at the recording's door, coupled with the singer's own vocalisation of "s" and occasionally even "t".

And so to summarise, as far as I personally am concerned, the few instances where the "perfect storm" might occur and perhaps spoil slightly one's favourite track of old are FAR outweighed by the sheer magic these cans bring to EVERYTHING else, and not even in those very few prone cases would I put the HD650s back in - NO WAY!!

But I would certainly advise IF AT ALL POSSIBLE to try and sample them in one's own set-up before spending rather a lot of money... or at least in some very similar equipment. Or if not, try to be guided by how your ears respond to sibilance generally - and of course by the type of music you prefer and its general bias in terms of recording technique....then it's in the lap of the Gods, I'm afraid lol!!

As for me, I don't regret a single penny (dime!) I've shelled out on these beauties...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #447 of 3,428
  With 20+ hrs on the Beyer T1s and a good few more of my test tracks covered, I am now even more intrigued by how they will sound with the Elise...if what they can do for my LD MKIV SE is anything to go by.

I shan't go into too much depth about them - far more experienced people than I have already given extensive assessments of their abilities.

All I can say is that every positive aspect reported seems to be accurate - to my ears, anyway...viz: clarity; agility; separation/placement; bass, mids, treble extension and detail; holographic stage/imaging; general coherence/balance etc. etc...

On the main (debatable) negative aspect, this is a very tricky one to call - ie. that treble!... I can understand why some would find this a little troublesome, but I personally feel most of the 'trouble' is probably down to an unfortunate combination of factors outside the headphones themselves...from power supply, through cables used/source/DAC to (of course!) type of amp used. Not to mention one's ears! And then there's the degree of 'close-miking' adopted/diffuser used/ability of the mike to handle volume spikes/recording engineer's predilection for treble emphasis...etc.etc.
I have a feeling the T1s are SO good at retrieving/reproducing exceptional detail (particularly in the upper frequencies) that they will highlight mercilessly ANY 'troublesome' factor in the chain...in my own case, through comparison of tracks with obviously different recording studio bias/equipment/technique I feel most of the blame lies in that quarter. The very few occasions when near-excessive sibilance was apparent could safely (IMHO) be put at the recording's door, coupled with the singer's own vocalisation of "s" and occasionally even "t".

And so to summarise, as far as I personally am concerned, the few instances where the "perfect storm" might occur and perhaps spoil slightly one's favourite track of old are FAR outweighed by the sheer magic these cans bring to EVERYTHING else, and not even in those very few prone cases would I put the HD650s back in - NO WAY!!

But I would certainly advise IF AT ALL POSSIBLE to try and sample them in one's own set-up before spending rather a lot of money... or at least in some very similar equipment. Or if not, try to be guided by how your ears respond to sibilance generally - and of course by the type of music you prefer and its general bias in terms of recording technique....then it's in the lap of the Gods, I'm afraid lol!!

As for me, I don't regret a single penny (dime!) I've shelled out on these beauties...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Glad, you are enjoying them. If I wouldn't have had and loved the HD800s, I would have considered buying them after I heard them the first time. Maybe, I should add them to my collection one day just like Nic has done already :wink:

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #449 of 3,428
I moved from the HD650 to the T1 and there is no going back after spending a little time with the HD650 than swapping back to T1's its like having a box taken off of your head just so much more clarity, extension and air.

T1s are so much fun with OTLs :) The perfect match.

+1 T1's with a modest but well implemented OTL amp can be a epic combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back