Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Sep 12, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #62 of 3,428
  i am enjoying this...i have a slightly diff self-imagined logic,
i turned the tube preamp to max, wanting to MILK out all the goodness of the tubejuice on the csp2+,
and controlling the full brunt of the tubegoodness at the final tubeamp...
opening up the volumetap on the headfone until my ears cant take in anymore..LOL

But logically..i think Gibosi is more correct. :) 
i will try it out. 

can you please tell me what volume level and input adjustment knob you set for using csp2+as preamp?
never used it that way but really want to try :))

Sep 12, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #63 of 3,428
  What is the ETA on this ? 
Is the version sold on ebay the old one ?

Hi eppz.

The original hoped-for date was within the next 2 weeks, or so...but I must admit I thought the time frame somewhat optimistic!

Am emailing them right now to see if there's any more info yet...will post the second I get any more news.

And yes, the ebay Espressivo-E is the old model, with 6N1P drivers and 6N6P power tubes - the new one having 6SN7 drivers and 6N13S (6AS7G/6080) powers, which should be a good leap ahead of the 'E', both in stock flavour and especially with some even more exotic/favourite tubes...

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #64 of 3,428
can you please tell me what volume level and input adjustment knob you set for using csp2+as preamp?
never used it that way but really want to try :))

U hv a csp2+?
The gainswitch at the rear is set to Max minus 3clicks...
The main volume knob is maxxx out.
The Darkvoice is at 12 noon..
(my audioGd dac is on low gain)
Thie above is my listening volume on a DT150.

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #65 of 3,428
Hi guys.

Sorry things have been quiet on the update front...messages from Lukasz at Feliks-Audio didn't get through to me (which had me slightly worried as he is always so prompt with his replies to my communications).

Anyway, he will re-send and I shall post as soon as I get them...but now it's my beauty sleep time (boy, do I need it!...).

So keep looking
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #66 of 3,428
Well, folks...good news - especially for you low-impedance can users - two protos were tried (amazing, given they were closed for a week!), and 2 6SN7s apparently DID give better results than just 1, which is really nice to know and should be a very useful added bonus over the competition.

Am now awaiting an estimated trial date...and getting even more excited/impatient!
tongue.gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #67 of 3,428
  Well, folks...good news - especially for you low-impedance can users - two protos were tried (amazing, given they were closed for a week!), and 2 6SN7s apparently DID give better results than just 1, which is really nice to know and should be a very useful added bonus over the competition.

Am now awaiting an estimated trial date...and getting even more excited/impatient!
tongue.gif

Output impedance is suppose to be low for it to work good with low impedance HP on a SS amp, does this also apply to a tube amp.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #68 of 3,428
  Output impedance is suppose to be low for it to work good with low impedance HP on a SS amp, does this also apply to a tube amp.

Afraid I don't know the definitive answer to this one, M...but after testing, the Feliks guys found that "by parameters measured and subjectively the low-impedance 'phones much preferred the 2x 6SN7 set-up". And although they couldn't give a purely scientific explanation for this, in my book what your ears tell you is FAR more important lol!
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #69 of 3,428
two oxen is better than one... with a proper yoke. 

Sep 17, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #70 of 3,428
Further update...Have literally just heard from Lukasz re time frame - he "would like to have a working production unit (with quality case, etc.) by the end of October". Which I think is still pretty amazing, all things considered.

Now I just have to be patient...me?...that's asking a miracle!

Sep 19, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #72 of 3,428
Am beginning to really drool with expectation now my GEC 6AS7Gs (CV2523,NOS) have further burn-in on them (in my LD MKIV SE). What they are doing for this relatively modest amp (with C3GS drivers) is quite beyond belief...just what they will give in an amp properly designed to take this family of 'power' tubes has me even more impatient, lol!

I know these GECs are extremely rare, not to mention expensive, but if discovered for a reasonable price all I can say is GRAB 'EM fast! - but if used, make sure they have been thoroughly tested to work OK...unfortunately they are not the most reliable of tubes.

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #73 of 3,428
wats a reasonable price, given your exp ?

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #74 of 3,428
  wats a reasonable price, given your exp ?

Hi Lorspeaker.

VERY good question...and a difficult one, lol!

I daren't put in print what I paid for my NOS tubes, but one of our esteemed colleagues snatched a really good deal on 2 good used CV2523s for $75 each (lucky feller!). So I would imagine you'd need to be just as lucky to find one (or 2) for that kind of money
wink.gif
...but who knows? As member mordy also points out, there ARE deals to be found...but you have to look in all the "nooks and crannies" of ebay; possibly email dealers direct in the hope they might just turn up with the pot of gold; keep an eye open (or, rather, BOTH!) for tubes that may not be listed fully - eg. I once saw somebody manage to strike REAL lucky with a pair stamped 'Hytron - or was it 'Haltron'?! Edit : must have been Haltron methinks... - 6AS7G, but also on the tube was A1834...PURE GOLD!! However, the same seller also had the same branded 6AS7G tubes (but without the A1834), only these were the Russian versions - identifiable by the twin "UFO"- shaped bottom getters (and to be found for a fraction of the GEC's price, of course).

Also, don't forget mordy's mantra - PATIENCE, PATIENCE and more PATIENCE...if you can manage it!

Happy hunting...

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #75 of 3,428
Hi,
Hypnos 1 asked me to post to the Feliks-Audio forum methods to shop Ebay for bargains, so of course I have to comply.
Since I have a self imposed rule of not paying more than $8/tube perhaps I have a different way of shopping Ebay. (Occasionally I break my own rule - some tubes just can't be found that cheap.)

Not long ago a pair of RCA(GE?) 6AS7 tubes went for less than $3 incl shipping (I missed the auction). Later I found one RCA 6AS7 tube for less than $3 incl shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCHED-PAIR-OF-GE-6AS7G-BLACK-PLATE-TUBES-TEST-88-89-AND-90-90-GUARANTEED-/181412339179?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a3d049deb

Here I will share some points on how to find the bargains.

Rule #1: Be patient.  Keep on looking. Try to buy from somebody who is selling off his/her grandfather's radio repair shop stock rather than somebody who is making a living selling on Ebay. Don't forget that the tube that somebody sells for 99c or $5 is the same tube a pro outfit will sell for many times more.

To find out if it is possible to get a real bargain, type in what you are looking for. Bring up the screen; then scroll down on the left and look for a checkbox that says "sold items."
Click on it. You may also want to check another box on the left that says "worldwide" to get the global perspective. After doing this you can see what people actually paid. Don't kick yourself if you missed the Tung Sol black glass tube that sold two months ago for $5 that the pros are asking $149 for.

Now you have established a frame of reference. It could be that what you are looking simply isn't available as a bargain. Either take the plunge, or consult rule #1 - patience. Try again later. Almost everything becomes available again. Maybe you'll pick up a pair of Lorenz (Siemens) C3g tubes for $10 on German Ebay if you can persuade the seller to ship outside Germany (market price $70). Clicking Worldwide will not bring up all the sellers; only those that ship internationally. Go to Google and type in Ebay UK or Ebay Germany etc to get access to local sellers.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/2x-C3g-Lorenz-Matched-Pair-/360869114154?pt=DE_TV_Video_Audio_Elektronenr%C3%B6hren_Valves&hash=item540579b12a

Which brings us to rule #2: Communication.
Email the seller and ask, using Ebay messages. If you see a guy selling a bunch of stuff, maybe he has what you want but it isn't listed. Based on experience I would only do business through Ebay and not outside Ebay because of the buyer protection. Ask the guy to put up the tube you are looking for at the agreed buy it now price and zap it right away. Don't be afraid to ask questions (this option is at the bottom of the item page.)
Don't forget to ask if the seller combines shipping if you are buying several tubes - it could save you a bundle.

It may be helpful to use Google translate to communicate with a seller who has trouble understanding English.I have used it with Russian and German sellers with good results.
Code:
[left] Я использовал его с российскими и немецкими продавцов с хорошими результатами . Ich habe es mit russischen und deutschen Anbietern mit guten Ergebnissen verwendet . 我已经用它与俄罗斯和德国的销售商有良好的效果。[/left]
Code:
[left] OK, now you know what is possible to do with a little luck. How do you sort through several hundred listings for the item you want? Again, type in what you want: Super Unobtanium 6SN7GTQ. Normally, Best Match comes up first. Go to the drop down menu on the top right and click. Select lowest price+shipping. Click on it. Now you can savor the 99c stores if you are lucky. Just watch out for shipping charges. Scroll down. Your best bargains may not be lowest priced+shipping, but after scrolling down a little further you may  find somebody who is selling seven tubes for $9.99 with $4 shipping. What would you rather have? One tube for $6 including shipping, or seven for $14 including shipping? [/left]

If somebody has a "Submit best offer" don't be afraid to use it by submitting a real low down offer. Your research will tell you what is reasonable. A good seller may make a reasonable counter offer instead of ignoring you. Or the seller may surprise you with accepting your shamelessly low offer... 

When searching for an item try to type something very general since it usually will bring up more offerings. Sometimes the seller makes a mistake, for example listing a 6SN7 as 6SN. People looking for the 6SN7 tube will not find the 6SN. A seller may list a lot of tubes as 5 x 8677 RCA. If you look for 8677 you may not find this offering, etc,etc. Look at the picture. Sometimes the seller lists a tube according to the brand on the box, but the picture clearly shows you another brand that my be more desirable.

As regards 6SN7 and many other tubes, the same name brand tube re-branded may be much cheaper. A Capeheart, Zenith, Hoffman, Stromberg-Carlson or Admiral tube may sell for less than the same tube labeled Sylvania. Learn the most common EIA codes (Electrical Industry Association). Many times these numbers appear on the tubes. 312 is Sylvania, 280 Raytheon, 233 Tung Sol, 188 GE etc. Here is a link to a list:

http://www.tubemaze.info/eia-codes-to-id-tubes/

Again, if you cannot find what you want at the price you want for now, consult rule #1 again - something will come up!

When is Ebay sleeping?
Some times may be better for Buying/selling than other times. Here is a partial answer to this question:

In other words, are there times when you can get a better buy, or are there times when fewer people look for things to buy, resulting in less competition for bids? 
The answer is simple and common sense, but maybe this knowledge will help you in snagging a good deal (or avoiding something to go for 99 cents).
Basically, your chances of getting a better buy are when people are busy with other things and don't have time to check Ebay. Such times are national holidays and Saturday nights when many people are busy doing other things. If you are selling something, avoid the auction to finish Saturday night or on the 4th of July, Thanksgiving etc. An auction ending on a Sunday many times gets a better price since people have time shopping Ebay.

You probably know all of the above already, but maybe you will find something helpful here.

Happy tube rolling!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back