Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Aug 3, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #631 of 11,833
Hey pct...

Here is a Phoenix dealer selling tube DAC's...

AUDIO VIDEO CHOICES, Inc.
601 E Indian School Rd, Suite 200
Phoenix, AZ 85012
(602) 265-1628
Open Tues - Fri 10am-6pm, Sat 10am-4pm
(Closed Sun+Mon)

Thanks. I'll check it out )))

Aug 3, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #632 of 11,833
  Good price. Looks like mine. I'd go for it if I were you.

Alright I bought the tube. It's been a while since I bought a tube. It better be the holy grail as you said.  
wink_face.gif

Aug 3, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #633 of 11,833

Interesting that Beyer has just introduced the DT 1990 Pro. Announcement like 4 days ago. I regard the T1 as Beyer top end headphone and sure sounded it. I had the DT880 Pro before but clearly the T1 sounded much better to me.

DT1990 Pro is 250 ohms and 102db. Should be just perfect for Elise. Keen to hear your thoughts of the T1 G2 and DT1990 Pro on Elise.

I would suggest an upgraded 6SN7 and 6AS7 for your Elise. Sylvania 6SN7gtb and Chatham 6520 is a big step up from stock tubes and is still reasonably priced.

You should grab a listen to the DT 1990 when you can, they sound great out of Elise, I say they are halfway between T1 and T1 2nd Generation, slightly less refined maybe but a very flat and neutral sound, with excellent detail retrieval and no famous Beyer peak (DT 880's anyone)

I'll let you know how the T1 2nd Generation pair with it.

Aug 3, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #634 of 11,833

You should grab a listen to the DT 1990 when you can, they sound great out of Elise, I say they are halfway between T1 and T1 2nd Generation, slightly less refined maybe but a very flat and neutral sound, with excellent detail retrieval and no famous Beyer peak (DT 880's anyone)

I'll let you know how the T1 2nd Generation pair with it.

Sounds promising but it's still early days. They are not in Australia yet. I have the T1 original and love it with Elise.

However you need to listen to a modded HD650. 3 extra pieces of Dynamite (Dynamat) as discovered by DL has improved the resolution and impact and shattered any veil. 

I posted a picture in the other Elise thread. post #12708

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #638 of 11,833
Good Morning,,, or afternoon,,evening as it may be for you, here is one for you @UntilThen,  you can take a nap now..

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #639 of 11,833
@UntilThen  I am certain you have heard Jackson Berkey before, think Mannheim Steamroller, yep one and the same. Accompliced I think.  Just set up my Sony Hap-S1  hd server, and it is a very nice peice of equipment. Just started the file transfer of all the music files from the computer with a remote app on a tablet, I may never leave my chair again!  Talk about shiftless, I could easily become a politician!   http://www.sony.com/electronics/audio-components/hap-s1

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #640 of 11,833
Hey @pctazhp and @UntilThen, all this talk of HOLY GRAIL is music to my ears...and I'm sure you can guess what comes next, lol!
wink_face.gif
- yes, my very own version of it (well, one at
least!)...ie.................

ECC31/GEC CV2523/T1.....fed by a tube DAC, of course!
wink.gif
...This combination has Elise singing like a Nightingale could only dream of LOL...
darthsmile.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
...CHEERS!...

Aug 3, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #641 of 11,833
  Hey @pctazhp and @UntilThen, all this talk of HOLY GRAIL is music to my ears...and I'm sure you can guess what comes next, lol!
wink_face.gif
- yes, my very own version of it (well, one at
least!)...ie.................

.....ECC31/GEC CV2523/T1.....fed by a tube DAC, of course!
wink.gif
...This combination has Elise singing like a Nightingale could only dream of LOL...
darthsmile.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
...CHEERS!...

Very unfair of you to bring in your "unobtainian" power tubes into this discussion. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #643 of 11,833
I guess the most important question is whether the Elise is the Holy Grail. It's my HG because it is the best I have heard, but I haven't heard any of the big buck amps. Will be interesting to read reports from London CanJam, but for the foreseeable future I'll be sticking with Elise.

I preface the following remarks by fully admitting I am an electronic ignoramus and so this is just uneducated babble. It seems to me that the internals of a tube amp must first be designed to keep distortion below audible levels and as faithfully as possible maintain accuracy of the waveform from input to output.

It also must accommodate power tubes that can drive without any problems the headphones most likely to be used with the amp AND  accommodate a combination of tubes that introduce just the right amount of even order harmonic distortion to create a listening experience that its owners find both pleasant and more like a live performance. Perhaps it also has accommodates tubes that will alter the FR just enough to provide a more pleasing and "realistic" experience than a totally flat frequency response.

If any of that has any validity, it seems to me Elise is a really good tube amp.

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #644 of 11,833
  Very unfair of you to bring in your "unobtainian" power tubes into this discussion. 
wink_face.gif

And you thought I was a nice guy, pct!!!
evil_smiley.gif
...must admit I am indeed being a tad cruel - but with reference to O's words below, these days one needs to be somewhat of a "Crusader" in order to hunt down and capture such glories LOL...but they are out there in no-man's land - somewhere!! "Simply" (?!!) follow @mordy's mantra for said search, and the journey can indeed sometimes bear wonderful fruit...
tongue.gif

Unobtanium befits holy grail.
wink.gif

Always spot on, O...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back