Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jul 9, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #47 of 11,833
I was a little concerned thaat the  Cetron, although they bought out RCA and the tooling, are from a newer production, concern was with the new epa and fed regulations if they are made the same way and with the same materials that the older RCA's would have been.  Plant I believe is in Chatsworth California, so I am sure the regulations where tighter than they would have been with the older manufacturers.

Jul 9, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #48 of 11,833
Tubes are shipped so should be here in a week or so,now the wait begins again, and I promised myself I was done buying tubes, to wear them all out I would have to live a lot longer than I have, might have to put them in a will or something.

Jul 9, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #49 of 11,833
I'm finding the
Elise and t1.2 handle pretty much all genres very nicely
smily_headphones1.gif

I totally agree with you. And it seems to me that is what any high quality amp, tube or ss,  should achieve. I have no hesitation recommending the Elise to anyone looking for an end-game amp. My set-up has cured me of upgradeitis 
happy_face1.gif

Jul 9, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #50 of 11,833
  Tubes are shipped so should be here in a week or so,now the wait begins again, and I promised myself I was done buying tubes, to wear them all out I would have to live a lot longer than I have, might have to put them in a will or something.

I haven't ordered new tubes in over a month. For now I'll live vicariously through you 
normal_smile .gif

Jul 9, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #54 of 11,833

how is low-freq control & impact?  rendition of 3d imaging and space between instruments?

With my Sylvania 6SNT-GTB as drivers, it is overall in the categories you list as good as I have experienced with the Elise. In a word, "excellent". However, I should note that the bass impact to me is not over exaggerated. It is probably not a bass head tube, but from bottom to top in the FR, it is well integrated and natural.

Edit: Contrary opinions are welcome 
normal_smile .gif

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #56 of 11,833
@whirlwind 5998A does look like GE 6AS7GA but there's nowhere to know they are the same until you hear it. I think they are different. Here they are listed separately and 5998A is claim to be medium gain whereas the 6AS7GA is low gain. post #1

This seller has been selling the 5998A for a while.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5998A-Dual-Triode-Vacuum-Tube-NOS-General-Electric-J-A-N-6AS7-421A-5998-A-/121586619378

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #57 of 11,833

how is low-freq control & impact?  rendition of 3d imaging and space between instruments?

Both 5998 and 7236 have good 3d rendition and instruments separation. Soundstage is great on both. 5998 is full bodied, an impactful bass that seems to extends lower. 7236 has a leaner tone, a harder hitting mid bass impact and generally a more surgical, clinical presentation than the 5998. They are quite distinctly different where you hear it. I do like both. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #58 of 11,833
  I was a little concerned thaat the  Cetron, although they bought out RCA and the tooling, are from a newer production, concern was with the new epa and fed regulations if they are made the same way and with the same materials that the older RCA's would have been.  Plant I believe is in Chatsworth California, so I am sure the regulations where tighter than they would have been with the older manufacturers.

Here's some history. I always thought of Cetron as having bought out some Tung Sol tube types, namely the 7236 but apparently they acquired some GE, RCA and Westinghouse too.
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tubes/messages/21/215937.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back